Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Intake disappointing  (Read 48525 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: VWR Intake disappointing
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:39 pm »
That’s a common theme with most intakes. Throttle response and overall day to day consistency takes a hit <2500rpm.  If you sit in urban traffic frequently, that quickly becomes annoying!  As you say, 3000 to 7000 feels better. Not blow your skirt up better, but enough to notice.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:09 pm »

Humidity was mental today 70% and 20 degrees so that why its down on power bhp wise, it is up on torque a little tho...im more concerened with the now irratic top end of the graph.

My previous run before this with the standard intake a few months ago on a different dyno was 330bhp and 340ftlbs  so it is down 8bhp but up 19ftlbs... il try get my last graph it was defo smoother up top

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:10 am »
Different dynos make different graphics. Some smooth the lines to make them prettier, I think. :thinking:

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:51 pm »
Different dynos make different graphics. Some smooth the lines to make them prettier, I think. :thinking:

Yeah your right I've thght about that...also the differences in scaling. Not concerned with the numbers the car still feels good to me but I am going to check my LTFT tonight and see about profiling the MAF aperture.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2018, 07:55:29 am »
The car really does drive so much better the closer to zero the LTFT is. Mine currently sits/fluctuates between +-1.5% of Zero, depending on driving style and whether the WMI is in use, and the difference is night and day over the old RamAir which used to sit at around +12-14%

It feels like it did with the factory airbox low in the RPM range, but with the gains of a free flowing intake at the top end.

Hopefully the revised part from VWR will get you guys close
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2018, 12:02:11 pm »
Seeing 2.7-3-.1% fluctuations on my LTFT, depending on the driving style as well. Your values are really good!  :surprised:

I hope VW RacingLine does deliver an as good intake as yours with the revised version. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:43 pm »
That waviness looks like the ECU messing with the fuelling and/or timing.  Shame most dynos in the UK don’t measure lambda during the power run like they do in America.
If the MAF isn’t sealed properly, or if the scaling is off, that could be a cause. Or maybe the intake/egt temps were getting hot.

£450 is good value for -8hp and +19lbft 😂  Only kidding! I’m sure it will improve once the new intake is ready.

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2018, 08:58:27 pm »
That waviness looks like the ECU messing with the fuelling and/or timing.  Shame most dynos in the UK don’t measure lambda during the power run like they do in America.
If the MAF isn’t sealed properly, or if the scaling is off, that could be a cause. Or maybe the intake/egt temps were getting hot.

£450 is good value for -8hp and +19lbft 😂  Only kidding! I’m sure it will improve once the new intake is ready.

Hope your right. And that they actually come through with it.
Mines only been on a few weeks, and I’m not very impressed.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:49 am »
The car really does drive so much better the closer to zero the LTFT is. Mine currently sits/fluctuates between +-1.5% of Zero, depending on driving style and whether the WMI is in use, and the difference is night and day over the old RamAir which used to sit at around +12-14%

It feels like it did with the factory airbox low in the RPM range, but with the gains of a free flowing intake at the top end.

Hopefully the revised part from VWR will get you guys close

Took my LTFT values and were at 10%....horrible. I'm going to reprofile the maf sensor orrafice like @Pudding and see if I can bring it down any...I would be delighted with your trim values with non standard intake mate very impressive...good to know it shld drive better.

Lol I know mate i did have a wee chuckle myself. Not too fussed tbh it was a necessary evil since I've caved and I'm going the TTE420 route....may need to put it off tho for a bit since this torque steer with the spacers is doing my head in may need to use the cash for a diff first I'm leaning towards...but that's another topic.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »
So, are VWR definitely going to replace parts with the new spec stuff for those of us who already have this intake if we ask them?
The reason I ask is I’ve just been emailed that it is now 47% off from a place that I’ve bought from before. US$280 is now the price (plus shipping) which seems too good to pass up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2018, 09:22:42 am »
@JamesED30 I think they will, but it will take longer than we hoped.  Making false promises and not delivering is tantamount to professional suicide these days because of the huge choice we have.

@csrigo 10% is wildly off.  I reckon at full boost / rpm, the turbo is pulling in a lot of unmetered air past that weather seal, hence the wavy plots.  After you've reprofiled the MAF mounting, your trims will come down and it should pull a bit smoother to the redline - and hand you back that 8hp, plus a bit more!  I think there's a close up picture of what I did to my MAF housing in this thread, or my review thread.  Takes about 20 mins with a file.

@The Red Warrior Yep, that was their statement from the start.  If you can provide proof of purchase, they will exchange the old kit for the new one.  This will obviously mean buyers of used kits won't qualify.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:05 pm »
Looks like I stuffed around for too long about whether to buy one at ecstuning for their discounted price. They are now out of stock and the price has gone back up to what it was originally. The projected ship date is now 26th of September. I wonder if this is when the new ones are coming out.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2018, 11:00:46 am »
Nevermind, ECS would likely have charged you something ridiculous for shipping anyway.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2018, 11:22:47 am »
And still taken until September to deliver it!
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2018, 11:19:22 am »
Nevermind, ECS would likely have charged you something ridiculous for shipping anyway.

Yeah, they would have. Think it was US$125 from memory. They had them in stock though.
Have recently met a guy with a Pirelli Edition on a forum over here in NZ who is a flight attendant who goes to the USA every week or so. Could possibly get free shipping to him when over there and he could bring it back. Though he might install it on his car  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:54:15 am by The Red Warrior »