Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Intake disappointing  (Read 48518 times)

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: VWR Intake disappointing
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
Hi Pudding great work and write up do you think the flexi would help the Revo intake to stop snapping at mounting point

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2018, 03:58:13 pm »
Thank you @Pudding for explaining how you corrected the issues with the VWR intake. Mine fits a bit better, not sure why. I do think that the engine mounts need to be reinforced so the engine doesn't rock as much. My canister pops out if I don't fit the pipe in a certain position. :\

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 03:02:52 pm »
I think they have redesigned the air guide, which might move the canister forward a bit for more clearance.   It used to pop out of mine as well (even with 3 x Vibratechnics mounts) until I fitted the flex coupling  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2018, 04:34:34 pm »
I have been in contact with vwr/racingline about these issues and there is talk of a redesigned intake and swapping out for the ones that we have had issues with so watch this space.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2018, 06:52:44 pm »
I have been in contact with vwr/racingline about these issues and there is talk of a redesigned intake and swapping out for the ones that we have had issues with so watch this space.

Nice! I hope they redesign the pipe, at least. It needs a flexible part.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2018, 09:54:55 pm »
^^That would be a result if so! Is that some brand damage limitation coming in...? They are catering very much to the MK7R crowd now...

Great work Pudding, that's just such a good few tweeks to the kit. As you say, absolutely should NOT be needed at this price point.
I've been keeping a very close eye on mine for a while now. So a couple of questions if I may;

- How much did you chop out of the solid intake pipe? Just interested in case I decide to follow this route!

- When adjusting the grill mounting for the HUGE airfilter box, did you need to modify the bracket in any way?

Cheers for persevering with this... :drinking:

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2018, 01:06:55 pm »
Awesome news  :happy2:

The MK5 scene is still huge globally, so they can’t afford the bad publicity.

Dave, I didn’t have to chop any of the pipes  :happy2:   Yeah the air guide for the grille did need some hacking but nothing major.

Are awesome handling the swaps?

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2018, 11:42:02 am »
Someone from vwr/racingline is trying to replay to this post to let us know what’s going on, but because he’s not been on here for a few years his posts need to be accepted my a mod.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2018, 11:17:19 am »
Looking forward to his/her comments but the forum is borderline unusable at the moment!

Offline S19MDE

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2018, 09:44:08 am »
Hi All,

My name is Matt and I work for RacingLine Perforrmance (VWR, Racingline, Volkswagen Racing, many names over the years!) and Danny has brought this thread to my attention with everyone having issues with the intake.

I personally have this kit on my MK5 Golf GTI and fortunately haven't had any fitting issues, movement or rubbing. However, I do not have a K04 car and this may be what is causing the issue.

After reading through the thread, I can confirm that we have already fixed the DV pipe fitting issue. This is now moulded into the pipe for K04 cars as standard.

For the other bits, if you guys wouldn't mind putting a list together of what you think needs to be changed, we will go to our supplier and have all these changes made. I am happy to replace parts for all that have been involved with this thread so far once we have come to a full solution, I will also throw a bit of merch in there for you guys too for your support so far.

If we could put the list together in here, but email me with your proof of purchase, name and address and forum username then I can keep track of who needs replacements of what.

As I said previously, I appreciate the issues that everyone has had so far and for persevering. We strive for good products and customer service, but unfortunately it seems that you guys have received neither so far and I want to make sure that is rectified!

My email address is m.ellis@racingline.com. I look forward to hearing from you all soon and working towards a solution.

Thanks!

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2018, 11:49:02 am »
Hi Matt,

I'm glad that someone from Racingline decided to get involved in this. Personally I don't have a Racingline intake, but I'm considering it. There were some other things that I tried to buy from Racingline on FB, some racing parts. I would exclusively use them for the Romanian Time Attack Challenge, but the discussion ended at "let me talk to a parts manager". I had to buy from somewhere else. There are some things that need to be improved, I should've at least get an answer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:58:54 am by teo_parvu »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:38 pm »
Hi All,

My name is Matt and I work for RacingLine Perforrmance (VWR, Racingline, Volkswagen Racing, many names over the years!) and Danny has brought this thread to my attention with everyone having issues with the intake.

I personally have this kit on my MK5 Golf GTI and fortunately haven't had any fitting issues, movement or rubbing. However, I do not have a K04 car and this may be what is causing the issue.

After reading through the thread, I can confirm that we have already fixed the DV pipe fitting issue. This is now moulded into the pipe for K04 cars as standard.

For the other bits, if you guys wouldn't mind putting a list together of what you think needs to be changed, we will go to our supplier and have all these changes made. I am happy to replace parts for all that have been involved with this thread so far once we have come to a full solution, I will also throw a bit of merch in there for you guys too for your support so far.

If we could put the list together in here, but email me with your proof of purchase, name and address and forum username then I can keep track of who needs replacements of what.

As I said previously, I appreciate the issues that everyone has had so far and for persevering. We strive for good products and customer service, but unfortunately it seems that you guys have received neither so far and I want to make sure that is rectified!

My email address is m.ellis@racingline.com. I look forward to hearing from you all soon and working towards a solution.

Thanks!

I am happy to be the spokesman for everyone.   

Everything I have documented from page 5 is the summary of the issues. 

The KO4 specifics involve the recirc valve plumbing only (I.e the Revotec self sealing fitting).  Everything else is the same as the K03 GTI.  Unless your filter canister is different to ours, I can't see how you don't have any fouling issues of the parts pictured (resting on coolant hoses, evap check valve, fuel pump bleed valve etc).

I think a ground up redesign is required, which will include a proper industry standard flex coupling and a canister that actually fits the available space with satisfactory clearance for engine movement.

It's safe to say every MK5 Golf was made the same way, so have there been any slight alterations to the intake since it's conception that could cause these fitting issues.  I mean, having to file the MAF aperture out to fit the MAF properly, really??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2018, 07:45:49 pm »
I have emailed Matt some high res pictures and a lengthy summary of our experiences.

I don't think everyone has experienced *ALL* of the issues mentioned in this thread, but typically of my luck, I certainly did.  Maybe I had a duff one, but either way, enough people have had clearance problems and snapped off coolant elbows for this to be taken back to the drawing board.

I also appreciate Matt taking the time to take an interest in this, and hopefully some good will come of it  :happy2:

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 12:40:44 pm »
I agree with all the points made on page 5 by pudding and think it would be best if one person was a spokesman for everyone.

Also thanks to Matt for wanting to sort this out, hopefully we can and make this a better intake. :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 02:10:13 pm »
I had a phone call / FaceTime to go over the issues with Matt today.   Really nice guy and he is extremely keen to get these issues resolved for us  :happy2:

In the near future, I will be visiting Racingline HQ for them to see the issues first hand on a customer's car, and also have them fit one of the most recent KO4 kits to see if that addresses any of the problems we've encountered.

I've already suggested a flex coupling and some clearancing 'dinks'  to the canister (they wouldn't restrict flow) as immediate improvements to take back to ITG, and following my visit, a couple more enhancements may be put forward, but from the chat on the phone, it sounds like some areas have already been addressed, such as the K04 silicon elbow and the MAF housing.

Once ITG/Racingline have had an opportunity to review the data and come up with a plan, we can go from there.   Obviously these things take time but I'm confident we will have better fitting intakes in the near future!

Watch this space  :smiley: