Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 3 k03 to k04 swap  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
Stage 3 k03 to k04 swap
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has the stage 3 bluefin on their car and if it's worthwhile? I'm currently stage 2 fuel pump specific and not massively impressed with the torque and have a pretty bad flat spot around 5k.

I will end up with the stage 3 anyway as it's only £50 and will mean I'll be safe driving to R-tech but I'll need to spend at least £500 to finish my set up so not sure wether I should push to get it all fitted or just take my time.

I just don't want to spend £500+ in a hurry and be disappointed again.

Cheers
Richie.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Stage 3 k03 to k04 swap
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:37:02 am »
So you've almost completed a KO4 swap and wondering whether to go Bluefin Tuna 3 to tide you over before getting a map done by R-Tech?

Personally, I would just finish the hardware install and take it to R-Tech, or where ever.  The unimpressive torque could be a fuel deficiency.  Might be worth logging the lambda regulator channel to see if it's adding a lot of fuel in boost.  If it is, you need a pump!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:11 am »
'Stage 2 fuel pump specific' sounds like a '2+' map that need an upgrade? Will be needed for a decent K04 setup anyway

I would not be driving it to R-tech with the K04 sensors installed i.e. the 3 bar map and 200 bar rail pressure sensor....  have a chat with R-tech to confirm what they recommend doing as they may fit them on the day for you if you arrive early enough. Injectors you can get away with if you unplug the MAF provided you drive it gently

Have you checked the hardware requirements for Superchips Stage 3 to see if they use the 3 bar MAP and 200 bar rail sensor which will be needed for R-Tech mapping? If they do then it might be worth getting it flashed... If they dont and use the standard sensors (like Revo Stage 3) then you're no better off really
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
Yes, I've been looking at the stage 3 map to tide me over and also make the car safer to drive the 300 or so miles. Bluefin make no mention of 3 bar map sensor or the rail sensor on their page.

I currently have autotech internals and the flat spot has been there since installing the stage 2 map, I spoke to bluefin and they sent me the new stage 2+ map although they called it "fuel pump specific".

I did some reading and people were saying to fit the rs4 valve so I've done that and had no difference. Ive been thinking of fitting a Deatschwerks lpfp to rule out a weak standard pump.

I need to do some logging but just recently became a Dad so been quite busy.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:40:19 am »
In that case its the same as Revo and only fuels for the S3 injectors, so I wouldn't waste your money. You can fit them, take the new sensors with you and let R-Tech fit them once there (obviously check/confirm with them before turning up on the day)

It will be the software causing it mate, have read time and time again of the issues with Bluefin/Superchips..... Logging will show you wants going on but I highly doubt its the LPFP and you certainly wouldn't need an upgrade.

Congrats on the little one - i know the feeling - have one and another due in 9 weeks time.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:53:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply mate.

Aye I'm not convinced the lpfp would help either but it's something I'm going to do anyway before getting it mapped properly by r-tech as they say the TT-RS pump helps but it's too much cash for me once you factor in the controller.

Thanks mate, it's been a great 3 weeks with the wee man so far, he's dead good and hardly cries or anything, just gets bothered with colic. Keep getting stopped in the street by random folk wanting to fawn over him  :grin: