Make a donation

Author Topic: Parts needed to install a LSD on a DSG  (Read 7277 times)

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Parts needed to install a LSD on a DSG
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 01:17:14 pm »
I just placed the order. I'm getting an Wavetrac unit. I'll keep you posted with the progress and driving impressions afterwards. For now I just need to get the 'small parts' needed to have everything ready

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Parts needed to install a LSD on a DSG
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »
And in my experience, not worth the cost.  Yeah you get a little more traction out of corners but nothing that blows your skirt up.

High power/torque needs 4WD. Period.

If you really must get a FWD diff, I would also fit the equal length driveshafts from the BKD diesel engine. 

Having a long and a short shaft with an LSD creates havoc on bumpy country roads under hard load, especially with cambered roads and lowered suspension where bump steer also creates it's own mess.  And the car doesn't want to turn-in as keenly with a diff either. And the diff can actually increase understeer unless you apply throttle in the corners to engage it, or trail brake.

But these drawbacks are what no one ever tells you.  It's all sales, sales, marketing, hype and exaggerated benefits.

The Haldex FWD diff in the Clubsport S is way better than a torsen diff, but not the easiest thing to integrate into a MK5 ecosystem.

Realistically, you're in for 2.5-3K to fit a diff if you factor in a 'whilst you're in there Helix clutch' and a bearing/syncro refresh, with labour.  Just the 1st to 2nd syncro hub is £200ish on its own. You could buy and fit an S3 4WD setup for that, or less.  And even then the Gen4 Haldex isn't all that  :grin: 

The Haldex on the MK7 is waaaaaaay more responsive/proactive, and the newer system on the MK8 (can't remember the brand) is even better still.

So in other words, don't sink big dollar into mods that only offer minimal gains  :happy2:

It's actually faster point to point, to run less boost and leave the rest of the car alone. And cheaper  :grin:

I don't know how it will behave on my Edition 30, hopefully I'll find out soon :), but I owned in the past a Megane RS275 and the LSD experience was mind blowing. I could really feel the diff pulling the nose of the car in the direction where the wheels were pointing.