Make a donation

Author Topic: Ohlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers  (Read 21995 times)

willni

Ohlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 05:40:58 pm »
@Pudding

Just wondering, since you highly rate both Ohlins and KW, did you consider the KW DDC Coilovers? which electrically lower and raise like the new ACC Volkswagen suspensions and other makers. Especially when they're in a similar price scale.

I did see those but my own preference is simplicity. Simple = reliable.  Simple = consistent and predictable  :happy2:

You tend to find with adjustable suspension that you find a setting you like, and leave it there.  With that in mind, I didn't feel the extra expense and complexity of DDC was justified.

KW's corrosion protection is unbeatable because - stainless steel, but that comes at a price and weight penalty.  Whilst I like their construction quality, I don't like the plastic spring perches or their soft damping.   When I had V3s,  I ended up running the dampers at full rebound and it was still too bouncy for my tastes. 

They are also not inverted monotubes, which if you are hard driver, you naturally gravitate towards for their superior rigidity and consistency when cornering hard.

I can't commend the Ohlins enough.  Firmer spring rates than Bilstein PSS16, and you can feel that in the corners....and the damping consistency and body control is just unbelievable at this price point.   To better these and the Bilsteins, you'd need to spend £3-4K on AST 3 ways.

Then the question must be asked...when are the AST’s being delivered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't tempt me  :grin:  As it happens, the Racingline coilovers are made by AST.  Aluminium struts, lovely stuff  :happy2: 

I'm happy with the Ohlins, great bit of kit for the money  :smiley:   I can't remember which area of Ireland you live in, but the roads in Southern Ireland (around Cork especially!) are comically bad, so any suspension kit that can deal with that is a good one  :grin:  Fab5freddy has Ohlins and he's in Ireland, so I wonder how it copes with the rough roads!

Northern Ireland so arguably our roads are better, but once you go 20-30 miles out they’re just as bad, especially with no one fixing them at the minute.

Think I’ll opt for some sort of racingline as the roads are that bad lately I ended up doing 15 in a 30 mph on the OEM set up
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:42:32 pm by willni »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Ohlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 06:05:40 pm »
I will make a review of AST 5300 when I'll test them on the track, but I believe these are too low and too hard for everyday use.

I look forward to that! They look great  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 09:23:14 am »
If anyone is interested in these, I have a set I’ll be putting up for sale. PM for info  :happy2:

I’ll be breaking my car over the next few weeks due to fatal engine damage  :sad1:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 01:05:27 pm »
That means their will be 2 sets available soon then  :laugh:

As mine are coming off ..... covered a massive 100 miles !!  :ashamed:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 03:20:00 pm »

:grin: Jesus that didn't last long  :confused:

And there was me thinking these were rare  :signLOL:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 04:56:07 pm »

Those 100 miles will probably cost me £400-500 ! I’m an idiot  :stupid:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »

How come you're parting ways so soon? You could barely have got a feel for them in that time...

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 06:10:58 pm »

How come you're parting ways so soon? You could barely have got a feel for them in that time...

I’ve come from 400bhp+ rear wheel drive stuff ....  bought the golf to try to be sensible /cheap ... then started play with it ... soon came to the the realisation it’s not going to be the car I want it to be . Someone’s going to get a bargain with them and the car for that matter

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
I also have the ohlins on my s2000 ..... so still have them in my life ! I’d like to try and fit them to a ttrs if I buy one of those .... simple stage 1 map , good suspension, front mount , boom 0-60 in 3.5 and 0-100 in the 7’s !!

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 06:55:13 pm »

I’ve come from 400bhp+ rear wheel drive stuff ....  bought the golf to try to be sensible /cheap ... then started play with it ... soon came to the the realisation it’s not going to be the car I want it to be . Someone’s going to get a bargain with them and the car for that matter

Yeah, always going to be hard to compare there. Great cars, but very quickly turn into money pits  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 01:21:25 am »
You guys  :grin:

They are VERY rare on the MK5 platform.....simply because not many folk are prepared to sink 25% of a 10K MK5's value in suspension  :stupid:  :grin:   But something worthy of consideration is Ohlins don't make suspension for any old crap car, only the platforms that deserve their attention.  All manner of suspension makers produce kits for every car under the sun, but not Ohlins.  They don't do them for the iconic MK1....or the MK2, or even the superb handling Corrado, or the MK3 or soggy MK4.....only the MK5/6 and 7. 

I can't speak on behalf of Freddy or Josh, but certainly on my local roads, there are zero compromises with this kit.  Better than OEM ride quality, and better than OEM handling - assuming like for like, i.e. stock ARBs. Win win.   Just get them bought people  :love:

TTRS - don't do it Josh, seriously.  One trick ponies.  You will get bored of it very quickly.  You are a RWD man, so don't sell yourself short.  Stick to what you know and love  :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:29 am »
Yep these really are THE best coilovers you can get for road and track .... it’s just I bought the wrong car for me !

TTRS appeals kev because every time it’s good weather and I want to have a proper drive I use the S2k .... the TT would be just for going to the gym , kids to school every now and then , and enjoy the excitement of a proper quick car every now and then . Seems to fit ... not test driven one yet though .

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 09:26:10 pm »
So @Pudding, how are these holding up?

Do you think that for the extra +£1300 you're feeling the benefit of this over the Racing line kit?

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:37 am »
They've just hit the recommended rebuild period of 30,000 KM (18K miles) actually, and they still feel fine.  I'll see what they're like at 2 years old!

They sorted 2 significant shortcomings of the Racingline kit, so the investment was definitely worth it for me.   I can't see anybody else spending that much on coilovers though  :grin:

It's impossible to make an informed decision these days because there's too much choice.  You have to take a gamble.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't!  If it doesn't, shift it on and try something else  :happy2:

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 11:31:28 am »
That's true to be fair.

I think i'll go with the Racingline kit, based on price and the upgrade from old OEM suspension.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*