Make a donation

Author Topic: **RESOLVED** Unable to complete Steering Limit Stop Adaption  (Read 78505 times)

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: **RESOLVED** Unable to complete Steering Limit Stop Adaption
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 05:38:48 pm »
One other point has come to mind on the abs ring itself. You'll probably notice when you take it off, it should be a solid black ring which is sensed by the wss.
On my faulty bearing, the ring was broken in places as if it has cracked up and parts fallen away, causing the dodgy reading which showed up on the logs.

So either of the following could give the same symptoms, which should show on the vcds logging graph:
Faulty wss
Broken wire in loom to wss
Damaged / worn abs ring

The good thing is, if the data log does show the above, it takes the guess work away allowing you to quickly resolve the issue by replacing which ever part is the problem.

Jas
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:44:20 pm by jason_rmh »

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline jhook661

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98678.0.html
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Definitely worth a sticky I reckon @jason_rmh top work   :happy2:
Modded Golf gti CDL engine TTE420 turbo
Rtech 440bhp 429ftlb

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:15 pm »
@jason_rmh

Changed the bearing today and fixed  :notworthy:
Changed the bearing and went for a drive, the wss fault cleared itself but I was still struggling with the steering not wanting to budge. So I ran the above check for all the wss and they were all correct. I then finally got the steering light off and steering back to normal, but my eps and tpms was illuminated. Nervous of loosing my steering setting again I was hesitant of looking to address them again, I did with limit stop and they went but my steering went again :scared: but drove and did limit stop and all gone. Thanks so much for this insight Jason it gave me the drive I needed  :happy2:

@dazza as above, can we sticky this as the problem is only going to become more of an issue as more bearing age.

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »
That's great @v4rley! Glad you got it sorted, happy to help :)

What state was your old bearing in? Was the sensor ring damaged / worn?

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6lufc7r4eo355d51fp0chi2a85&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »

@dazza as above, can we sticky this as the problem is only going to become more of an issue as more bearing age.

:happy2:

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 08:59:59 pm »
Yes the old one was much the same as your badly worn with some parts missing. Also there is a rattle from the ball bearings when shacking it so good job done

Offline eb198

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 03:38:04 pm »
top write up cheers  :happy2:

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 08:49:47 pm »
Thanks for the write up, helped me identify my issues.  :congrats:

Offline vernychops

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 09:00:01 pm »
So when your battery goes flat it breaks the bearings?

Offline BGBlaze

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2022, 10:19:51 pm »
Hello guys. Do not spam because of bumping 5year old thresd pls!

Problem: Steering angle sensor (G85) not initialised , steering wheel live data, always show 0deg, in ABS and Steering assist module. ESP and Steering wheel warning lamps are ON.

I'm trying to fix this for 2 months now. I can confirm that the correct procedure for Steering Angle Sensor setup, has 3 steps:
1.CALIBRATION: Go to ABS > Login 40168 > Basic settings> (Steering angle sensor calibration (G85) *channel 60 >
2.INITIALISATION: Drive about 20meters, without wheelspin, no wheel turning needed-if do so, it is not a problem, if all ABS sensors and ESP sensors are good = ESP light goes off, and in ABS > Meas.blocks > steering angle degrees can be seen as steering wheel rotates.
3.STEERING LIMIT: With engine running > turn steering wheeel full left, wait 5 secs > turn full right, wait 5secs > center steering wheel = Steering wheel warning light goes off.

...but this can't work on my MK5!

I have Golf mk5 with same issue as OP. Still no success with SAS initialisation!
Car: MK5 2004
ABS: MK60 (1K0 907 379 K)  Coding: 00021122
SCM Steering column module 3pcs: (1K0 953 549 A / AM / AP)  Coding: 0000042
SAS Steering angle sensors (G85) 3pcs
Steering rack: (1K0 909 144 G) Coding: -b-l-a-n-k-

I got Touran also. Disassembled both cars and tried many combinations. In result: all SCM works, with all SAS in the Touran. BUT not in Mk5. Initialisation can not be completed.
Checked wheel speed sensors and wiring to abs 2 times = all good
Checked wheel speed sensors readings in abs ch01, also in graphic mode = all good, with max differences of 1km/h between sensors
Checked wheel bearings - replaced 2 rear , just to be sure
Compared wheel speed data from Touran and MK5 = same, not more differnce than 1km/h between wheels
Recoded ABS unit with differen codings = no success, but got errors "incorect coding"
Steering assist module report errors:
-------------------------------------------------
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
   005 - No or incorrect basic setting / adaptation

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
   000 - -
-------------------------------------------------

ABS module has NO errors , but on meas. blocks  , i do not remember channel- it says Steering angle / notInit
In channel 04 Steering wheel shows 0deg.

tried 20 times > login> basic settings = says OK, no errors, driven the car shotrly, straight, with turns.... but can not initialise the angle sensor.

I'm ready to sell the car to scrapyard, any advices will be appreciated.

I have VCDS HEX CAN 20.1 , VAG CAN , ODIS , MPPS v21.
I'm about to reflash firmware fo SCM and stering rack with ODIS. Not sure why, but no other ideas.

Can the steering rack somehow prevent steering angle sensor from Initialising ?
I have repaired, rewired and reflashed MK60 abs modules (they are pain in...) but thgat does not seems to be an issue here.

I have seen 2 types of slip rings, with different pin arrangement for steering measurement! Is it possible to have any problem there ? But, both on MK5 and Touran slip rings are absolutely the same , in Touran all works good, in MK5..... do not!

I have log files, graphs, reports. IF anyone think those can help- i will upload .

Offline BGBlaze

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2022, 01:35:07 pm »
I'm sharing my SOLUTION in new post so it can be seen easily!

My problem was so...simple and stupid.

04-Steering Angle  and  16-Steering wheel  was unchecked/disabled in Can gateway. Why and how...noone knows.

I saw it after making 30th Auto scan, and it shows both modules with errors or not registered, which means that they are disabled in CAN gateway. I hate myself for spending 2 months and unsee this !!!

So there is my simple recommendation about checking Steering angle sensor and adjusting it in 1 GO :

>>>>>>>>>> Preparation <<<<<<<<<<
1. Start the engine ! Park on level surface with 80-100m straight path , where can drive with 20-30km/h !
2. Go to ABS > Meas blocks > Ch1 , click on Graph button.
3. Drive straight WITHOUT wheel spin, reach ~30km/h, stop and drive back.
4. Check the graph for ABS sensors that are going bad by showing peaks in graph. If there are such - Check, clean, replace sensor/ bearing! There can be issue/peaks with sensors but no error code in ABS ! ! !
5. Check in CAN gateway if both 04-Steering sensor and 16-Steering electronics are ENABLED
6. Check for errors in ABS, and if there are no ABS/ESP related errors, except: Steering angle sensor (G85) No or incorrect basic settings Continue below.

>>>>>>>> G85 Calibration, basic settings <<<<<<<<<<

> Go to  ABS
> [Coding-II - 11]
> enter 40168 and [Do it!]
> [Basic Settings - 04]
> From dropdown menu choose Steering angle sensor (g85) calibration, or just write and go to channel 60
> After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".

--- if it says not available or anything else, try again with slight 1-2deg movement of steering wheel , if it keep saying NOT AVAILABLE = your 16-Steering module is not compatible with your Slip ring. I have tested this and there are compability between those parts and must be pointed out! There are 2 versions of Modules and 2 versions of Sliprings. It has nothing to do with G85 itself, but problem is what 16-Steering module is expecting to see depending on ver.1 or ver.2 slipring teeths!

> After successful basic settings show OK, [Done, Go Back] > [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

>>>>>> G85 Initialisation <<<<<<<

Engage 1st gear and drive straight +- 1.5deg on steering wheel, until you reach 30km/h WITHOUT wheel spin ! And ESP light should go off. That shows Propper G85 Initialisation .

>>>>>>>> 44 - Steering assist adaptation <<<<<<<<<
*Can be done after reseting ignition or driving car. It is separate process.

With steering wheel in 0 +-1.5deg straight, start the engine, rotate fully left , hold 5 secs > rotate fully right and hold 5 secs > turn left to 0deg and  Steering assist indicator should go off and it is all done.

Here you can check your steering module version, so you know what slip ring you need, to be able to calibrate G85:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

This is picture of 2 types of Slip rings. On the RIGHT type1. On the LEFT Type.2

Steering electronics module types 1 and 2:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:39:33 pm by BGBlaze »