Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 APR Stage 1+ Questions  (Read 2944 times)

Offline jonnylaris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
ED30 APR Stage 1+ Questions
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:36 am »
I currently have a stock ED30 with a stage 1 APR map on it.

Can I fit a loba HPFP and an intake without needing to get a new map. I.e. use the components along with my current stage 1 map to effectively go Stage 1+?

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: ED30 APR Stage 1+ Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:22:26 pm »
bolt them on

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:22:42 pm »
Each 'stage' is just boost, fuelling and timing to suit the hardware.   You can fit the Loba and intake now but without a corresponding tune, you won't gain much.  Ditto the downpipe and intercooler if you go that way also.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline jonnylaris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:06 pm »
So to get Stage 1+ I need a new tune from APR?

Also I've heard that adding a DP without a stage 2 tune could through an engine light?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:29:16 pm »

Also I've heard that adding a DP without a stage 2 tune could through an engine light?
Don't get hung up on all this 'Stage' business. The car will run fine on the current map with a Loba pump and intake. Call it whatever stage you want.

Decide your goal. Is it full bolt-ons, so intake, pump, exhaust and intercooler with a map to suit? Or something else?

If you're looking to change the standard downpipe to a 3" one with either a decat or sport cat, then yes, you might get a light on the dash. But this is only because the ECU is expecting lambda values in line with a standard downpipe. It doesn't mean there is actually a fault. Any decent Stage 2 map will stop the light coming on.

Do all the hardware, then the map.

Offline jonnylaris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »

Don't get hung up on all this 'Stage' business. The car will run fine on the current map with a Loba pump and intake. Call it whatever stage you want.

Decide your goal. Is it full bolt-ons, so intake, pump, exhaust and intercooler with a map to suit? Or something else?

If you're looking to change the standard downpipe to a 3" one with either a decat or sport cat, then yes, you might get a light on the dash. But this is only because the ECU is expecting lambda values in line with a standard downpipe. It doesn't mean there is actually a fault. Any decent Stage 2 map will stop the light coming on.

This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!

I do want to go full boltons and stage 2 but just don't have the cash to do it all right away. I just didn't want to risk damaging the car by running bolt ons for stage 2 while I was on stage 1.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:19:10 pm »

This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!

I do want to go full boltons and stage 2 but just don't have the cash to do it all right away. I just didn't want to risk damaging the car by running bolt ons for stage 2 while I was on stage 1.
Nah there'll be no damage. You might not even get a light on the dash if you're lucky, but they do usually come on eventually.

Just have a read up on the available intakes before you get one. None are perfect, they all seem to have their own particular compromises in terms of being a good fit. I'm considering going back to the standard airbox/engine cover as the Ramair I have fitted has a few 'quirks' that are sometimes a pain to live with.

In terms of bang for buck, and therefore the ideal order to upgrade things:

3" downpipe with decat/sport cat. Ideally as part of a full exhaust upgrade (ie the catback section is changed as well as the downpipe), but the main restriction is in the downpipe and cats, so that's the main thing.

Uprated pump. Can't go wrong with Loba.

Intercooler. Alloy ended S3 is good for a 2+ k04 car, but if you're wanting a tiny bit more potential power then there are replacements from the likes of Peron, Wagner and Airtec.

Intake. A bit marmite. They'll give the top end a bit more, but as I mentioned, with a few compromises. Arguably not essential for a 2+ k04 car.

Offline jonnylaris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:16:43 pm »
Great info again thanks.

I actually already have the Milltek non-res cat back so I'm guessing I can just buy the down pipe with sports cat and get my mechanic to mate it all up?

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:08:11 pm »
Great info again thanks.

I actually already have the Milltek non-res cat back so I'm guessing I can just buy the down pipe with sports cat and get my mechanic to mate it all up?

Yes mate, the Miltek downpipe will bolt straight up to your miltek catback

Offline jonnylaris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 04:53:16 pm »
Great info again thanks.

Yes mate, the Miltek downpipe will bolt straight up to your miltek catback

Excellent, thanks!