Make a donation

Author Topic: New Stereo - fitting kit  (Read 4229 times)

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: New Stereo - fitting kit
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 10:39:01 pm »
The glove box removal seems pretty essential for the fitting of the DAB aerial - anyone got any tips or better still, a guide?

Thanks.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:52 pm »
I had the connects 2 kit also, I don't know if the mfsw buttons work as I am waiting for them to come  :signLOL:
On your small black connector block next to the red wire do you have a blue wire? if it is missing then the blue wire from arial kit plugs in there! if there is a blue wire there then follow it back to the large black connector block and put your blue wire in the free space in your car harness.
DAB arial is as Octoparrot says over glove box and up pillar, mic goes behind instrument cluster and up drivers pillar  :happy2:

Thanks mate! Will investigate tomorrow... so from what you've/I've said, we seem to have pretty much followed the same path? I honestly didn't think they'd be any wiring at all though, that's my only comment so far.

I'll look for the the missing blue, and if it isn't there it should just pop in the slot, right? And that should sort out the analogue aerial. I had no signal at all earlier with out it connected.

So the DAB/Bluetooth cable routing, did you have to remove anything (glove box etc.) else apart from the a pillar trim?

Thanks.

I had to remove glovebox and pillar trim for DAB and instrument cluster to run mic (this part was done by my mate who is an auto electrician and done to remove an old previously run phone kit)
I see... sounds like quite a lot of extra work then? Especially the instrument cluster!

Had a sneaky quick look and it doesn't look like I have any free slots on the back of the head unit for the aerial power but there is a wire with "Ant.Cont" on it, with a bit of tape on it. Similar to the steering remote wire I used. Could that be used?
IMG_4176 by ds261, on Flickr
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:30 pm »
IMG_4176 by ds261, on Flickr
[/quote]
I know where you're looking and our wires look the same, except mine already has a solid blue in place...

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 11:11:49 pm »
That wire should run to where you loom connects and there should not be a wire in your loom and the blue will go there, there is a latching clip that goes up the middle of the loom plug, just pull that out and then the wire will clip in!
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 11:46:12 pm »
What direction are we going? The aerial (blue) wire, does it get it's feed from the head unit or the power source (the car's main wiring). I'm confused. I'll get a photo in the morning, but looking at you pic, and the rest of the wires on both blocks are the same, but my wiring has a solid blue wire already in situ.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 12:04:56 am »
What direction are we going? The aerial (blue) wire, does it get it's feed from the head unit or the power source (the car's main wiring). I'm confused. I'll get a photo in the morning, but looking at you pic, and the rest of the wires on both blocks are the same, but my wiring has a solid blue wire already in situ.

My pic (old one that I took out) was if you didn't have the solid blue! The power comes from the head unit down the solid blue to cars main wiring loom and your blue wire from arial adaptor will attach there, as  solid blue at the mo does not have wire coming from car wiring loom
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:37 am »
I have taken my stereo out this morning and took some pics  :fighting2:

92FCEC5D-FC25-4470-9415-73132D2050E5 by ds261, on Flickr

13D7D8CD-8E45-48B2-AAE1-32B25CE8A8BD by ds261, on Flickr
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:45 am »
I have taken my stereo out this morning and took some pics  :fighting2:

92FCEC5D-FC25-4470-9415-73132D2050E5 by ds261, on Flickr

13D7D8CD-8E45-48B2-AAE1-32B25CE8A8BD by ds261, on Flickr
You Sir, have just entered Legend status in my eyes... Thank you so much! Was just about to go to the garage and get some snaps of my setup, doesn't look like I'll need to now :grin:

I'll report back later.

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »
Yep, found the available slot and it went in fine... thanks for the pictures AND the encouragement!

So here's where we're at:

I'm quite pleased with that, particularly the fit.

Hardest part? Undoubtedly the a-pillar trim refit. Horrible.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 06:50:39 pm »
Yep, found the available slot and it went in fine... thanks for the pictures AND the encouragement!

So here's where we're at:

I'm quite pleased with that, particularly the fit.

Hardest part? Undoubtedly the a-pillar trim refit. Horrible.

Looking good mate  :happy2: Happy I could help and thats what being part of a community is all about  :driver: :rolleye:
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 08:05:23 pm »
I'm well happy overall! Having a few small issues with Bluetooth playback, getting one or two interruptions, and I'm getting speaker noise - but I think that's a speaker setting in the menu. Not really had a chance to play yet...

Thanks for your help!