Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam chain tools  (Read 7592 times)

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
Re: Cam chain tools
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 01:38:06 pm »
For anyone researching where to buy the tools I just managed to order T40080 from TPS after trying a second laser tools T40080 equivalent part on my lunch break and shearing it off. I used a breaker bar this time, with a second pair of hands holding the tool dead square and into the bolt head, it shattered as soon as I put any decent purchase on it.

DO NOT USE THE LASER TOOLS T40080 TOOL!!!!!

I'm going to write to Laser Tools in a moment to let them know that their tools suck balls, although they probably already know this.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:26:42 pm by rajjinator »

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 11:01:47 am »

TPS FTW.

If this one shears off I'm going to put the car back together and just pretend all went well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:05:02 am by rajjinator »

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 12:07:36 pm »
You should be good with the VW tool.  Mine didn't snap with a 3 foot breaker bar on the end of it!

Every Laser tool I've ever had has either done the job barely adequately, or been completely useless.  I only buy genuine tools now.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
For anyone researching where to buy the tools I just managed to order T40080 from TPS after trying a second laser tools T40080 equivalent part on my lunch break and shearing it off. I used a breaker bar this time, with a second pair of hands holding the tool dead square and into the bolt head, it shattered as soon as I put any decent purchase on it.

DO NOT USE THE LASER TOOLS T40080 TOOL!!!!!

I'm going to write to Laser Tools in a moment to let them know that their tools suck balls, although they probably already know this.

I snapped one doing the bolt up. I thought maybe I went a little too tight but clearly they are just a weak tool. I went by the spec to how tight to go and it snapped just as I got the correct angle.

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »
Yeah. Tool clearly not fit for purpose. I have written to Laser with the following complaint.....

"RE Tool 6991 10mm Polydrive/VW Camshaft Adjuster Bit

This tool is not fit for purpose. I have now bought two of these and shattered both of them. The tool is labelled as "equivalent" to the VW OEM tool T40080 but clearly it is not. It has one job, to undo a single bolt holding on the camshaft adjuster bit on VW FSI engines and it fails miserably every time.

I would ask you to consider producing this tool out of a material that is either a) not sh*t, or b) so sh*t that the tool may still be inserted directly into ones anus afterwards (the current design leaves a sharp edge preventing this without injury)."

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 01:24:23 pm »
LMFAO hahahahha

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 02:13:26 pm »
 :grin:

You should use Twitter to complain.  It's the only thing companies take any notice of!

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »
Good shout. I'll try Twitter.

Sooooooo. I can confirm the VW tool is good. This time the bolt head failed. It broke every single part of the shape clean out of the head and left me with a nice round hole in the bolt.

Out came the carbide drill bit and stud extractors...

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
Oh, and does someone have the part number for the adjuster? I don't fancy doing the job a second time, so was considering changing it. Are they about a million pounds?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 09:40:54 pm »
Oh, and does someone have the part number for the adjuster? I don't fancy doing the job a second time, so was considering changing it. Are they about a million pounds?
Item 6 on this listing, match to your engine type - price best check what discount TPS will give you.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/GOLF/year/2007/drive_standart/474/hg_ug/109/subcategory/109015/part_id/3708479/lang/e#sec_6

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:40 pm »
Thanks dude.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:28 am »
I'm sure the VVT adjuster was around £250+VAT when I bought the chain gear in, but as my bolt came out in once piece, I returned it.  Not many parts places will take special order parts back, so you might want to check that before buying it.

Did you manage to get it out with stud extractors then?  You got off lightly if you did!

Offline rajjinator

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 09:44:27 am »
I'm sure the VVT adjuster was around £250+VAT when I bought the chain gear in, but as my bolt came out in once piece, I returned it.  Not many parts places will take special order parts back, so you might want to check that before buying it.

Did you manage to get it out with stud extractors then?  You got off lightly if you did!

I've just got a price from TPS. £376.36. I think i'll take the risk at that price...

Yeah I did, just a cheap £12 set of extractors from Machine mart and a carbide drill bit I had lying around (the bolt is HARD, regular high speed steel bits won't touch it). I honestly didn't think they would work the bolt was so tight, I had visions of the extractor snapping off inside.

I used a carefully sized 1/2 drive socket in the bore of the adjuster to keep the extractor square whilst cracking it off with a breaker bar on the end of the extractor.  :P

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 12:15:56 pm »
Yeah tps always sell to me bought loads from there,car mats,service kit,all the cam chain stuff,thermostat etc.
It’s all been done now nice and quite and dosent drop temp
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2