Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket speakers and standard headunit  (Read 4714 times)

willni

Aftermarket speakers and standard headunit
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:05:11 am »
Considering updating the speakers in the doors with Rockford Fosgate Power speakers, and before i go ahead i’m wondering is there any point if I’m going to stick with an OEM headunit (RNS315). Since I’m near certain it could severely hinder their performance. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: Aftermarket speakers and standard headunit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:11:48 pm »
Probably not the best idea. Might even sound worse.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:51 am »
I've just done this on my Mk5. You will be best to install an amplifier as well to drive the speakers properly but it will sound a lot better.
I've added a couple posts about it recently in the what did you do to your Mk5 today thread a couple weeks ago with photos if your interested.

willni

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:37:23 am »
I've just done this on my Mk5. You will be best to install an amplifier as well to drive the speakers properly but it will sound a lot better.
I've added a couple posts about it recently in the what did you do to your Mk5 today thread a couple weeks ago with photos if your interested.

Cheers pretty helpful review/guide. I opted for the genuine VW speaker upgrade kit front and back so 8 new speakers, they're about "30/50W speakers, tweeter 4ohm, mid and bass 8ohm" or is stated in a different post will know better when I get them, I have a 2 channel Kenwood Kac-6203 600 watt amp lying about doing nothing so might run it off that, but would be tempted by the Pioneer TS-WX610A 200 watt sub and amp to fit in the spare wheel, because stealth lol.

What's your opinion of your set up now you've had it a few weeks to bed in? Would it be a highly recommended mod on reflection?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:53 am »
Yeah, despite everything I really like it. I did my research and listened to the advice of those in the know re brands. As much as I like it, it is my first proper car audio system upgrade so I probably would have been happy with almost anything.

As a side note I was driving the other day and could hear some sound I didn't know. I turned the radio off and the noise went away. Turned it back on and turned it up a bit. The sound was in the song but despite having heard the song before I'd never heard that sound before.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 04:42:02 am »

Cheers pretty helpful review/guide. I opted for the genuine VW speaker upgrade kit front and back so 8 new speakers, they're about "30/50W speakers, tweeter 4ohm, mid and bass 8ohm" or is stated in a different post will know better when I get them, I have a 2 channel Kenwood Kac-6203 600 watt amp lying about doing nothing so might run it off that, but would be tempted by the Pioneer TS-WX610A 200 watt sub and amp to fit in the spare wheel, because stealth lol.

What's your opinion of your set up now you've had it a few weeks to bed in? Would it be a highly recommended mod on reflection?

Hi. I wondered which MK5 golf GTI speaker upgrades you bought for your car. Currently looking some for my 2-dr GTI and can’t seem to decide which ones to go for. I know I need a 4-ch amp as I want the best sound delivery from speakers to go with the amp giving better tops and bass without breaking the bank! My car has a 3-way speaker composition (tweeters, mids, bass).i think the current speakers are decent (not sure how they’ll sound with an amp fitted tho) but these speakers do deteriorate after time and I think a 12 year old car needing an upgrade is now due!
Did you fit a bass sub in the boot ? Does anyone know how to customise a sub in the MK5 boot? Does it require a seperate amp from the door speakers?

Please let me know as i’d Be very interested to know.

Thanks! :happy2:
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 01:17:36 am »
@GTi-Tecnix I installed the Morel Virtus 3 way component speakers (front doors only on my 4 door) and am running a Morel 4 channel amp.
You will be fine running a 4 channel amp if you run a sub as well. Unless your wanting to bridge for more power. I'm currently just running a pair a channels for my speakers and so still have a pair left if I want to run a sub.

@willni I'm really liking my setup now. So much clarity even when turned up far beyond what is comfortable. Love hearing songs that I've listened to countless times before and heard things I'd never heard before.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 03:46:31 am »
@GTi-Tecnix I installed the Morel Virtus 3 way component speakers (front doors only on my 4 door) and am running a Morel 4 channel amp.
You will be fine running a 4 channel amp if you run a sub as well. Unless your wanting to bridge for more power. I'm currently just running a pair a channels for my speakers and so still have a pair left if I want to run a sub.

@willni I'm really liking my setup now. So much clarity even when turned up far beyond what is comfortable. Love hearing songs that I've listened to countless times before and heard things I'd never heard before.

Thanks. I’m guessing my stock woofers in my 2-dr GTI car are 8”? Do you know if they are? Thanks in advance.

willni

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 08:56:45 am »

Thanks. I’m guessing my stock woofers in my 2-dr GTI car are 8”? Do you know if they are? Thanks in advance.

I think mine were closer to 18cm so 7inch that's a 5 door but doubt they'd use different speakers.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 09:01:08 am »
I'm not certain with 2 door but I believe they are the same as 4 door. They are a 6" speaker but they are in a plastic surround that is bigger. Once you remove the original speaker and the plastic surround that it is attached to, then the hole in the door can take an 8" speaker. You will need to do some trimming of the foam (or removing it altogether) that goes around it that is located in the door card. You would also need to be careful about the depth of the woofer so as not to be too deep.
Either way you are probably going to need to buy or make some speaker spacers.
Whatever you do, take the time to do it properly as the sound produced will reflect your efforts.
I don't recommend doing it unless adding sound deadening to the doors as well.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 12:18:12 am »
I'm not certain with 2 door but I believe they are the same as 4 door. They are a 6" speaker but they are in a plastic surround that is bigger. Once you remove the original speaker and the plastic surround that it is attached to, then the hole in the door can take an 8" speaker. You will need to do some trimming of the foam (or removing it altogether) that goes around it that is located in the door card. You would also need to be careful about the depth of the woofer so as not to be too deep.
Either way you are probably going to need to buy or make some speaker spacers.
Whatever you do, take the time to do it properly as the sound produced will reflect your efforts.
I don't recommend doing it unless adding sound deadening to the doors as well.
Component front speaker: Yes!Im definitely looking to use sound deadening just like the ones you have used in this thread they are really nice design btw. My drivers door does rattle sometimes if it’s too bassy! Can you advise me on the size I’d need for complete both doors deadened?! :happy2:

In general, my stock speakers do create a pretty decent sound and I’m curious to khow how they would fare- with the inclusion of a 4-ch amplifier added to them! But through time the material of these speakers do disintegrate and the sound is bound to deteriorate as they are not delivering the clarity or bass sound that I aspire to achieving in my car! I have noticed your 3 way components are very costly.. can you advise any half decent speakers that are not that extortionate.. I know Focals are good with clarity but not that good on bass.. correct me if I’m wrong!

Sub: Id also be to know how do I go about the sub in the boot where spare wheel is located under the carpet- does the wheel have to be removed?.. would the  sub require a seperate amp in addition to the front speakers? I’m not looking for extravagant bass that would upset your neighbours with but something that’s decent in the mid range and not too loud if you get what I mean!

Thanks for your time  :happy2:

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 02:35:53 pm »
Sorry for slow response. Been away on a small holiday.

I used Dynamat for my sound deadening. They make a door kit which I bought 2 of. Because it's so easy to do the door skins on a mk5 you end up using more than most cars. After doing both skins and both door cards I only had about 3 square feet left. Enough that you could do the bottom of your spare wheel well.

I guess cost is relative but my Morel speakers weren't hugely expensive I thought. They cost me about 450 pounds. I was also looking at getting Focal speakers. Can't remember exactly what the model was but I think they were called VR165 or something like that and they were the flax version.

Not done much research myself on spare wheel well subs, but from what I've seen you can get them/make them fit in the space under the wheel if you flip the wheel over from the standard way it mounts. You will then have to find somewhere else to store the tools that are currently there.

One four channel amp is enough to power all speakers and an amp.