Make a donation

Author Topic: SPS Settings - Definitive info?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
SPS Settings - Definitive info?
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:40:16 pm »
Does anyone have an definitive info on the quantity of each B, T & F setting?

The advanced user guide for the SPS has long gone unfortunately, and I can't find what I'm looking for online.

I know the crux of it is:- make a change and log it, but 4th gear full throttle pulls on public roads are becoming increasingly more difficult, so it would be useful to know how much of a change each setting applies before getting up at 3am to do some logging.

So for example, F0 = stock fuelling, which is mid to high 12s AFR @ WOT past 5500rpm, from memory.  So what AFR does F1 request? And what AFR does F9 request?

If F9 is the leanest of the "Performance fuelling" options recommended for stock fuel pumps, does it therefore mean F1 is very rich, gradually leaning out again to F9.  Aren't 0 and 9 therefore the same?  It follows no logic that I can see.

T1 vs T9, what's the difference in terms of actual advance values, and is it a global change to the base timing map, or only when there is positive manifold pressure?

B1 - 9, again, what changes?  The amount of boost pressure, or the onset of boost, ranging from soft to aggressive?

I get the general gist of it, but it's too vague for my liking.  I like to know exactly what changes  :smiley:

I'm sure other people would like to see a table of some sort, such as.....

B0 = Stock boost response.
B1 = 5% more response
B9 = 100% more response.

T = Stock advance.
T1 = +0.5 degrees global (or just with positive manifold pressure)
T9 = +5 degrees

F0 = Stock AFR request
F1 = 10.5 AFR
F9 = 12.5 AFR

Does anyone know for sure, or has anyone logged every possible setting and seen what each change makes?

I suspect the actual range of values across the 9 choices is very small to prevent end users from blowing up engines.   I would be surprised if the difference between T0 and T9 is any more than 5 or 6 degrees real advance.  I would also be surprised if the richest AFR request is richer than 11 AFR.  Direct Injection doesn't need port injection style AFRs.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone has the definitive table of adjustments somewhere!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: SPS Settings - Definitive info?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:50:08 pm »
This one? I have lots of things saved away..... https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t7gxdtrx2u7rc8/SPS_AdvancedUserGuide_V0707.pdf?dl=0

You won't get anything definitive, Revo are much too secretive.

What I do know however, from experience, is that the boost setting alters the target boost at peak load, i.e. low down, it then tapers off at higher rpm, whereas the lower Boost setting simply doesn't request as much low, so not as much boot to tail off, much smoother and more linear feel

FYI B0 is not standard, it is valet mode - 3.5k rpm limit, minimum boost (0% WGDC) and next to no throttle response from the pedal - borderline undriveable.. Stock is B1 and from what I can tell the increases are quite linear from 1 to 9 - not logged them all

Timing will surprise you. Its all RPM and load sites from what I can tell, not just peak and the adjustment is huge, much more than 5 degrees difference thats for sure. On a high Timing request I can see some nasty knock readings pretty much continuously under all driving conditions

F9 is super lean, High 12's from memory on mine, Not tried F1 but even F6 has a target lambda dipping in to the high .7 range on mine. Never actually tried anything richer than F6 or tried logging F0

Hope it helps. I played around with mine, and the laptop until i found a sweet spot around B9, as with the K03 you pretty much run them balls out at 100% WGDC all the time anyway and I like the rapid onset of torque
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:59:34 pm by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:12:26 am »
Awesome, cheers Dan.  I'm glad you squirrelled that away  :happy2:

Yep, I have quickly realized they are quite evasive when you ask them anything technical!  You just get a blanket "Speak to your dealer for guidance" response.  I guess once you've built up a relationship with them that might change, but average Joe on the street - they're not giving anything away  :grin:

Thanks for the advice!  I've seen 12 AFR under high load and rpm with F8 which is OK for 25+ psi.  I don't think I will risk F9!

Unbeknown to me and AKS at the time, mine was flashed with a bad MAF and the settings were left at B9,T4,F8.  I've since changed the MAF and upped it to B9,T5,F7.  Extra lashings of HP Sauce everywhere now, perfect!  If you know your car well enough, dynos aren't always necessary to get a feel for what is right, and mine seems to love those settings  :smiley:   I don't see any -3 timing pull action until the intercooler starts to warm up.  I did ask Alex about a better intercooler when I was there but he's still waiting on Peron to sort their cores out or something, so it's on the to do list.

Offline aaronk.juju

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »
I was playing with my SPS settings recently. I was at B9 T6 F6. I'v since turned my boost down to B8 and I feel the boost is a lot smoother. I emailed Revo a few weeks ago who said:

"Thank you for your enquiry.
Sorry for the delay responding, was crazy busy in here yesterday.
You are correct boost 9 does not give any extra peak boost, it just brings max boost in earlier at 3000rpm rather than building gradually between 3000-4500rpm. So yes more peaky/aggressive.
For fueling, as you increase it becomes leaner."

My timing is at 6 (from the dealer) and the knock sensors maxed at -5.3 degrees, which IRC is about the top end of what is "allowed".

Edition 30 DSG, Revo Stage 2+ and other bits and bobs.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 10:49:09 am »
Yeah B9 can deliver the boost with a jolt if you mash the pedal down at 3000rpm.

I run B9 T4 F8 which feels pretty good.