Make a donation

Author Topic: Alex's Shadow Blue GTI  (Read 32058 times)

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Alex's Shadow Blue GTI
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2022, 09:30:10 pm »
Oh my word that is gorgeous. I have a laser blue and have literally done exactly the same to mine except a couple of small bits like the number plate and wheels. You inspired me to get 30mm springs so I have ordered them. I also need to get a couple of buttons from TPS as ours are pretty worn out now!

Looking forward to seeing more!  :happy2:
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2022, 02:32:22 am »
Decided to tackle the drivers wing last weekend, again with a ready painted wing from lothian autoparts.

Found another small ecosystem behind the wheel arch, storing lots of moisture to start rusting the sill… not too far gone I hope.

One small hiccup with this side, i may have tightened the nut just below the windscreen i little too tight and it completely sheared off.

It is a little annoying but I’ve not had any problems so far.

An under view of the old wing, with the culprit foam in view.

All Done, I've actually noticed in this photo a bit of an obvious difference in colour on the wing compared to the bumper, did not see this on the other side and I don't think its that obvious in reality.

Also I got hold of a second hand full set of R32 Calipers, carriers and dust shields including discs and pads.

They seem in fairly good nick although I will get new discs and pads, bolts, HEL braided lines and give them a really good clean and a touch up with some paint.

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2022, 05:44:32 pm »
Nice work done :happy2: enjoy  :wink:

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2022, 08:06:36 am »
Having a look at the R32 brakes i bought, the rear carriers seem to be a different blue, i’m guessing they were bought bare metal and painted.

On closer inspection the paint’s not in great nick, very flaky and a fair bit of rust underneath.

I have attempted to remove the flaking paint, gave it a good brush with a wire brush and i will give it a sand and fresh lick of paint.(RAL 5002 ultramarine blue is the genuine colour used)

Also had a parcel arrive this week, hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend!

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2022, 11:55:17 am »
It didn’t rain on friday so i managed to fit a BCS Powervalve Prestige Cat back to my already installed downpipe.
The stock tips had completely gone a while ago so I put slip-on tip covers over them but they didn't last long at all.

Had to remove the adapter pipe I put on when I installed just the downpipe, which took longer than I expected or would like to admit.

Once off i got a nice shot of the 100 cell sports cat, won’t know how well its doing till the next MOT in march. Surprisingly the CEL has only come on twice, plugged in to find out the cause which was emissions, and was expecting to have it on permanently until it got mapped.

All on, nice and shiny.

The stock catback seems to have had  a big split on the top side.

And another pic of the nasty tips.

I went prestige because i didn't want it too loud, and i think it hits that perfectly, really nice throaty sound when you put your foot down, but very conservative if you drive sensibly.
As with the downpipe the welds all seem top notch, as with all aspects of the build quality, it was well packaged and Powervalve Nige was very helpful with any questions I had over facebook.
No drone at high speeds and I did a bit of motorway driving yesterday and was worried it would be still slightly too loud and was prepared to sound dampen the boot but was presently surprised. Louder than stock but not annoying or unbearable.
Very pleased, especially as I managed to get it during their autumn sale. Few more bits and pieces and then i'll be booking at r-tech soon(ish)

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2022, 04:33:56 am »
Nice work done  :wink: :happy2:
Enjoy 😉

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2022, 06:01:59 pm »
Exhaust looks like a big improvement, good work on dealing with the rust as well!

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2023, 05:40:24 pm »
I'm slowly making progress with the brakes, both rear carriers are finished and I've finally got around to painting one of the rear calipers.

Still a long way to go, I've bought a rebuild kit from frentech on ebay but also bought genuine seals and boots for the front calipers.

Also waiting on a Dutch scirocco gear box with low mileage to arrive, customs paperwork and that are slowing it down.

The side mount/tow hook number plate has been reverted to standard as the police pulled me over, in my own road, and said it must be made by the manufacture that way if you want it side mounted. They also said my insurance wasn't coming up on their system, which was boll*cks as I showed them the certificate and checked once I got home.

Offline Enigmatik

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2023, 05:15:03 pm »
Loving the build @pandaman ! Those calipers are looking mint with the paint job.

I think I'm currently struggling with a similar issue to you had on the rear calipers. I don't have squeaking, but when I drop the handbrake and reverse out the drive there's an initial "knock" every time, like the rears aren't properly disengaging - reckon it's a similar issue? I don't have as obvious disc wear as yours...

What discs/pads you're going to be running on the rear - OE or slotted/hooked/drilled?

The stock catback seems to have had  a big split on the top side.
Wish I'd got a pic of my stock pipe when I removed it last year - the resonator had split along the seam and I could fit a whole hand in there. Lovely new pipes!

Might see you at R-Tech in the next couple of months once I've fitted some last items... then it's Stage 2+ for me.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2023, 05:38:07 pm »
Hit a whopper or a pothole and got a puncture. The tread was pretty low and i was going to get new tyres soon anyway, managed to get a full set fitted the next day, went pirrelli this time.

And the scirrocco gear box turned up the other day!

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2023, 06:25:58 am »
Front Drivers caliper siezed recently, car has been off the road while i frantically try and finish the R32 calipers to get it back on the road without unnecessarily buying a regular caliper.  Off work next week so hopefully I will get them done and on whilst I'm off.

A light sanding and masking off the necessary parts before painting.

Installing the boot with an eBay find genuine VAG tool and a not so genuine generic caliper press.

One front caliper is finished, I'm in the precoess of painting and rebuilding the second and still both carriers to sand and paint. Both rear carriers and one caliper are done but ill fit the fronts first and maybe if i get time I'll finish off the rears whilst im off.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2023, 10:10:27 pm »
Been a while since an update. I had a few headaches getting the R32 brakes sorted, and ended up driving my other half's 08 1.4 Corsa for a month or so (wouldn't recommend it). It meant my MOT lapsed for a while, but gave me a chance to fix it up for said MOT.

When getting a wheel alignment a while back they suggested a rear drop link needed replacing or it would most likely fail its next MOT. No problem, cheap and easy, but as I lowered the car back down after, there was an almighty clunk. The rear ARB had completely snapped!

Luckily before the MOT, so I ordered an H&R ARB kit, drove with the snapped ARB to the garage and got them to fit the rear before the MOT.

I had a go myself but the bolts were so rusty and as soon as the socket slipped slightly, I wasn't going to risk stripping the head and decided that could be someone else's problem. The front I will get fitted at another time. Handling does seem noticeably better with the ARB and a non buggered drop link.

The new brakes were a bit of a pain but I’m really pleased how they've turned out. Side by side you can see the difference in size

Went with Basic Brembo discs from GSF and thought Id try Brembo HP2000s for the pads. I would have gone Ferodo but the Brembos came with a brake wear sensor. They didn't even fit, the connector was male and so was the one on the car so that was a bit pointless. Decided to cut the connector off the old pads and twist the wires. Very janky but at that point just wanted the car back on the road. Also went with HEL lines all round.

Rears

Passed the MOT with no advisories,but since the MOT, I’ve done about 2000 miles and the brakes are already squeaking. Only with a lot of weight or passengers and just the very last moment as I come to a stop. Not sure what to do here, definitely not because the pads are low, I’m open to suggestions.

Last weekend I did an oil change with Millers CFS 5W40 and a bosch filter. Topped up the screen wash with some genuine VW stuff, and again a bosch filter for the cabin. Also had a go at restoring the headlights again and gave it a good wash all round.

Next will be getting the Scirocco gearbox fitted along with a Helix clutch and LUK flywheel, and at the same time probably best to get the cam belt and waterpump done, we’re closing in on 120k. Once the clutch has broken in, slap on a new HPFP with VIS internals and finally book a slot at R-tech!

Offline 09Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6e3cl79t297kmilq60i8384pba&/topic,133619.0.html
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2023, 11:55:35 pm »
what did you use to do your headlights, i need to do mine
2009 Pirelli Edition Stage 2+

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2023, 12:18:52 am »

Finally got round to getting the clutch and gearbox fitted as well as a new cam belt and water pump.

Cambelt and water pump
Scirocco gearbox, 02Q KZS, 44,775 km (27,822 miles) from Netherlands
Helix clutch
LUK flywheel
H&R Anti-roll bar front
TRW Front drop links
4 wheel alignment

Pics arnt mine they're from the garage.

Was suggested that as the subframes off to install a dead set kit and also a new crank seal whilst the gearbox is off.

They pointed out timing chain gasket leaking so I asked for just the gasket to be replaced for now. Also said that a slight ticking on start means I should get a new chain at some point, also rear subframe bushes need replacing. All in all, very pleased.

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2023, 05:34:16 pm »
Awesome stuff, how does the new gearbox feel?
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue