Make a donation

Author Topic: Alex's Shadow Blue GTI  (Read 31479 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Re: Alex's Shadow Blue GTI
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2024, 08:05:23 pm »
It was time for a major service.

Oil and filter, Millers 5W40, Bosch Filter
Spark plugs and coil packs. NGK Iridium X and APR Blue Coil Packs
New Filters for the Twintake
New Fuel filter
Bosch Wiper Blades
Replace Forge front to back short shifter since new gearbox, add side to side and solid bushings
Top up Screen wash etc
Tyre pressures

Replacement coil packs were more of a cosmetic decision, but looks like it was needed for one of them.

To be honest its the first time ive change the fuel filter myself. Could be the same filter that it left the factory with for all i know, It has VW branding. The one preivous owner had all work done at the dealer though so who knows.

Filthy black fuel, not a good sign. Car defienlty has less lag as i put my foot down now.

And the bottom bonnet latch needed replacing, the sensor cable had broken. (the low oil warning light wouldn’t go away after being topped up as it resets with the bonnet opening and closing.)

The Cam Follower is the only thing I haven't done this time. I have VIS HPFP internals and a brand new Hitachi pump to fit at the same time, the new pump comes with the bamboo fitting attached and I have the ancient banjo bolt on the car.  Once i have the right fitting ill be doing the lot.

Awesome stuff, how does the new gearbox feel?

Buttery smooth, especialy as i fitted the solid bushings recently. No more getting stuck in first! The Ratios are slightly different than the original box, More fuel thirsty but quicker acceleration, before i got use to it you could hear the difference, slightly higer revs in each gear. The Helix Clutch is A LOT heavier, was worried at first but used to it now, just means the GFs corsas clutch pedal feels weightless.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2024, 08:07:37 am »
If you find the clutch heavy, then I would recommend the aks braided clutch hose. It does away with the swirl pot and makes the pedal much lighter as well as clutch engagement more precise, so gearchange is much better. Assume you have already removed the bleeder block flow restrictor?

Offline madnemo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2024, 10:20:54 am »
Your shadow blue gti is immaculate 💙🔥. Just read all 5pages and its an inspiration too get my shadow blue to your standard 🙂