Make a donation

Author Topic: Gauging interest - car sale price  (Read 993 times)

Offline JimmyMK5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Gauging interest - car sale price
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:32 pm »
Ive often wondered ...  :thinking: what price I could sell my golf privately for? Do mods/remaps increase or decrease selling prices etc... does it make a difference if it were to be a golf enthusiast that was interested or just a general buyer... I use different apps and regularly check online car selling sites and monitor for sale prices. For example autotrader app with my car reg entered may offer me £3000 (condition depending) for argument sake but obviously autotrader are based on stock specifications.

If i were to list my golf for sale, what sort of price could I realistically ask for with the following specifications:

2007 Volkswagen Golf GTI.
R-Tech Stage 2.
5 doors.
Manual.
Black.
2 Keys.
FSH.

Milage: 95913

Exterior:
Carbon wrapped bonnet, roof, bootlid, mirrors & front badge.
Rear windows tinted.
Black sun strip.
Wind deflectors.
Colour coded side skirts and rear bumper.
JOM LED rear lights.

Performance:
RamAir oversized induction kit.
Full Miltek exhaust system.
Decat down pipe.
GFB DV+.
NGK Iridium BKR7 IEX spark plugs.
Rtech Stage 2 remap - 280bhp / 346ftlb with switchable mapping.
Whilst at Rtech the car had new cam follower, walnut blasted inlet & injector clean (Feb 2020)
Shell helix ultra 5w-40 oil.
Castrol react performance brake fluid Dot 4.
Castrol syntrans FE 75w fully synthetic gear oil.

Chassis:
30mm lowering springs.
Front White line ARB.

Apologies if gauging interest isnt allowed on the forum, please remove if so.
My car isnt for sale, this is purely just out of curiosity.

Thanks. :smiley:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Gauging interest - car sale price
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:38 am »
I'd take the wrap off to increase the amount of potential buyers. I think due to the age of these cars now the price will be mainly determined by condition and provable servicing work which you don't say that much about.

You might be better selling some of the mods separately, I'm thinking the air filter and decat. How does it pass the mot with the decat? A younger buyer might want the mot hassle and noise that the decat and air filter bring for the extra bhp they bring.

I'd say make it more standard and put it up for 6k. See what interest you get at that price.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:52 am »
All the extras mean nothing to traders but sold privately could be different. My 56 plate Mk5 Gti fetched £3250 as a part ex. had 69000mls in really good cond. Only mod R Tech stage one All bills and history included. Good luck

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:37:10 pm »
I would suggest putting the exterior back to stock as few things are as subjective and polarising opinion as these sort of mods. An enthusiast may pay a bit extra for the engine spec as it saves them from having to do the work. Best list it on the Facebook tfsi for sale site but be realistic about value