Make a donation

Author Topic: Joshy's Ed30 Build Thread  (Read 21834 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Joshy's Ed30 Build Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
 :grin: yeah it needs a steady hand when soldering.Keep.thinking bout the reverse camera but  seems a lot of work

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »
Not had any updates on the car in a while!

Anyway, bought myself a smooth front grille (eBay special!), ordered yesterday, and arrived today.
First opinion is that I'd prefer to have a genuine US spec grille, however, for the money i paid for this grille. I can't really complain. It does't look too bad once fitted, but if you're picky, its likely you'll pick up on the differences between this and a genuine.

When removing my old grille, i notice a few things that i probably did not want to see :scared:
Looks like i need some new screws for the bumpers (anyone got a PN?) as well as the clips/screws for the bottom of the grille.

Where the paint is peeling on the bumper (part that is behind the grille) i think i'll get some black plasti-dip or matte black paint and cover it the best i can. Looks horrible with all the red peeling off!  :fighting:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »
what are you going to do with the plate?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
I've got a private plate to go on, so Im going to do the old trick with magnets on the plate and magnets behind the grille :happy2:

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »
Covered up the mess on the bumper beneath the grille today.
Had a delivery of some screws that were missing off the bumper/grille too.

Also managed to glue the magnet to my numberplate as well as get it wrapped in fabric.
Hopefully will get the other magnets glued to the underside of my smooth grille tomorrow :happy2:

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 08:10:20 pm »
Rushed home after work to get the new reg transferred and onto the car :grin:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:15 pm »
The front grille was on my to do list. Didn't realise it was in that bad a mess underneath.

Front bumper was off last april when the peron was fitted, but i didn't see it. Really hope that mess wasn't created then as id think twice about using the garage that did.

Anyway great improvements mate. Really adding the final little details to it.

Oh and i found a bottle opener/cup holder divider the other day if you want me to post it down mate?

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 10:49:45 am »
The front grille was on my to do list. Didn't realise it was in that bad a mess underneath.

Front bumper was off last april when the peron was fitted, but i didn't see it. Really hope that mess wasn't created then as id think twice about using the garage that did.

Anyway great improvements mate. Really adding the final little details to it.

Oh and i found a bottle opener/cup holder divider the other day if you want me to post it down mate?

Yeah you wouldn't notice unless you took the grille off!
The smooth grille / magnet plate is such an improvement in my opinion. I did think I'd run with the plate in the window, but i actually really like the look of a small plate with no plate surround. Only problem i've really had so far is that i think i can see the outline of the magnets on the grille. Maybe a layer of felt between the rear of the grille and the magnets is the way to go!

Cheers mate, much appreciated :happy2: I've got loads of other little bits that i want to do, then some bigger mods too, just need the time & money!

And yeah post it down mate!  :drinking:

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 06:00:03 pm »
There been no real progress on the car since last posting, i've just been enjoying the car, whilst thinking of a million and one things to buy for it :happy2:

Anyway, EML came on recently due to a broken connector. Opened up the bonnet and realised the intake piping had been sat on said sensor, and broken up. Rather than just replacing the broken component, i thought it would be a good time to also replace the intake system. Ordered myself the Revo intake which arrived while i was at work today! Hopefully i'll get it fitted later this evening if the rain holds off.

I'm very tempted to wrap the pipework in golf reflect heat tape. We'll see!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 08:30:55 pm »
Got the intake on last night, although finished in the dark. Had a nightmare with those pesky cir-clamps  :fighting: :fighting:

I've realised that the engine bay needs a really good clean, its filthy at the moment. I think a TTS cover is on the cards, they look real smart when painted. Other than that, i'm not sure what else to do to the engine bay!

More goodies arrived today as well. Gloss black badges for the front and rear.
I'm going to order the badge underlays for the rear (Klii Motorwerkes) but not sure if i want to colour match to the body, or go gloss black!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:16 pm »

Gloss black badge fitted
I didn't realise how faded the lower grill is! Tempted to spray it, however i think gloss grills may be too much. Satin black may look nice!

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 08:21:28 pm »
Plastikote do gloss and matt finish rattle cans I cleaned the grill with hot water and fairy liquid beforehand

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 10:34:26 am »
Plastikote do gloss and matt finish rattle cans I cleaned the grill with hot water and fairy liquid beforehand
Their matte finish is good. I used it paint the bumper under the grille after i found out untidy it was. There should be some pictures a few posts up.
I'm sure i've seen someone on the forum painting their grilles with the Plastikote satin, cant quite remember who, but it did look good. Will order it from Amazon and get them sorted eventually.