Make a donation

Author Topic: Modified car insurance  (Read 10299 times)

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Modified car insurance
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:25 am »
Which insurance company are you guys and gals using for your modified golfs? what mods are you declaring just the obvious like exhaust,intakes, suspension or everything like remap,intercooler ect? and how much are you paying. Time for renewal soon and I’m all modded up now so think it’s time to declare.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Modified car insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »
Declare EVERYTHING.   Just as a car maker will void a warranty if the car is modified in any shape or form, so do insurance companies when it comes to undeclared items on their policies. 

I've used Greenlight and Brentacre over the years without any issues.  Avoid really cheap never heard of companies.  The proof of the pudding is in the claiming and Brentacre especially have always been good in that respect.

Suspension and a remap won't bump it up much.    Adding cages, big brakes etc tends to increase it more as insurance companies treat those upgrades as you driving faster, therefore more of a risk.

I'm 44 and pay £400ish through Greenlight with everything declared.  Stage 2+ map, coilovers, etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »
as above declare mod you done because in the unfortunate event yoi have an accident and you havent declared the mods your insurance will be void
I have been with Adrain flux but switched to green light

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:08 pm »
Just renewed with Greenlight

I'm 34 and it was £430 which was only £30 more than my renewal with Admiral. Now my Mods are like for like replacements. The chap on the phone knew his stuff and was clearly a car enthusiast.

Its free to add on non-power mods
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

willni

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »
Speaking of insurance, what are your opinions of informing insurance of oem retrofits? Eg parking sensors or multi function steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »
I also wondered about informing them of adding RNS 510 nav over the standard CD player

‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:33:15 pm »
Try sky insurance for modified cars

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:06:19 pm »
Speaking of insurance, what are your opinions of informing insurance of oem retrofits? Eg parking sensors or multi function steering wheel.

I declare EVERYTHING non-standard.

AXA NI were threatening to cancel my insurance on me before I switched to Greenlight because I had "retrofitted" 18" Pescaras in place of my 17" Monzas. Their reasoning? Modifications to OEM wheels needed to be at least 1" bigger.

According to their underwriting team, an analysis of the market showed that people who upgraded by 1" were more likely to claim and so they wouldn't cover it in the event of an accident. I am actually not joking here, it was infuriating.

Of course, they were sweet with everything else though:
  • RNS 510 (perhaps the world's most stolen sat nav  :stupid:)
  • Colour-coded Ed30 front splitter and rear valance
  • MK6 parking sensors
  • Xenon lights

Insurance companies (and pretty much every company out there tbh) are not to be relied upon to have your back and some will try to get out of claims with the simplest of excuses. I wouldn't want to give them that ability by not declaring OEM retrofits.

It's funny to hear me on the phone listing all changes I've made...

A MFSW? Hmm, it does add value. Does it increase it's likelihood of being stolen? Could be argued yes by them and no by you. Just my 2 cents  :happy2:

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:18:48 pm »
Been with brentacre for 3 going 4 years now and they have been great. Premium has dropped every year on the same vehicle. Spent most of this time insured on my Bora PD130 and was not charged for having coilovers or OEM retro fitted leather recaros and this also included high mileage as I was commuting to uni daily, clocking up over 300 miles a week sometimes.. This was from the age of 20-23, im turning 25 this year so will no longer be classed a young driver.

Always declare mods & shop around, you're bound to get some ridiculous quotations that will wanna make you hang up but thats insurance companies for ya. Use price matching if some work by this?
Stealth Racing Stage 2+ Tornado Red 5dr DSG Edition 30
Mk2 Oak Green 16v -> 1.8T - Still Sleeping..

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24:44 pm »
Insurance is the biggest fraud out there because you can be paying them premiums for yeasrs without a single claim and they bucket free dough!
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:44 pm »
Insurance is the biggest fraud out there because you can be paying them premiums for yeasrs without a single claim and they bucket free dough!

I agree if you don't have a lot of money to fix your things or other people's things and then you only pay when things actually go wrong, but for the majority of us, we wouldn't be able to stump up £5k+ on a whim when it really hits the fan, so it's good to have something there to shell out on our behalf. For most, this may never actually happen, but it does happen and so it's a needed thing and it protects me and you from those who can't afford.

There are other models, like in New Zealand where everyone is insured through the government, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Edit: removed the don't
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:08:13 am by Rossimac »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:00 pm »

I agree if you don't have a lot of money to fix your things or other people's things and then you only pay when things actually go wrong, but for the majority of us, we wouldn't be able to stump up £5k+ on a whim when it really hits the fan, so it's good to have something there to shell out on our behalf. For most, this may never actually happen, but it does happen and so it's a needed thing and it protects me and you from those who can't afford.

There are other models, like in New Zealand where everyone is insured through the government, but I don't know enough about them to comment.
theses 'incidents' are marginal compared to the millions of us who pay yearly and do not have a need to claim And the premium does not change a fraction - that's quite worrying for me.. There are both sides of the argument here.
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:33:47 am »
Don't get me started on the insurance industry  :fighting:

The whole thing stinks of eau de watery shat. 

'Recommended' body repair shops who deliberately over charge and you're not 'allowed' to choose your own body shop without attracting some kind of penalty.

Ambulance chasing lawyer firms enabled by the useless 'legal protection' add ons that don't protect you from whiplash and crash for cash scumbags.

Windscreen replacement companies who fit crap glass deliberately to keep themselves in business and again, over charge the insurance companies, which gets passed back onto us with inflated premiums.

Government raking in 1.5% tax on every premium sold, so there is no incentive for them to tighten the regulation.  Not that there is any regulation.  The ombudsmen are as much use as snow chains in Florida.

The 'Protected' no claims bonus system that still profits THEM, not us. 

Heavily loaded premiums based upon some flim flam bullsh*t reasons they concoct among themselves.   "Oh you live the middle of nowhere with a garage.  Yeah well, this was previously a good thing for security, but this year we've decided that it's a bad thing because no one will see the car being stolen, so that'll be a 30% loading, thanks". "We don't like Manchester this month, so anyone living there will pay an extra 14%" and so on.

I wasn't joking with the garage thing.  A few years ago I was charged more for putting the car away every night.  Their suddent change of reasoning was a car parked on the street (previously a loaded scenario) is more visible to the public.  Like anyone would ring the police these days??  F'kin clowns.

It's just the usual Ivory Tower bollocks, completely out of touch with reality.   We have to begrudgingly pay it every year to remain 'legal' but it really is a big con.

Insurance was originally a community thing to protect farmers, but now it's just a revenue making scheme for greedy f'cks.

Anyway, as above, Brentacre are refreshingly different in age of call centers that treat us as cash cows.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:54 am »
I've had good service with Sky Insurance and Brentacre. Declare everything, even if OEM. When I had an accident, the underwriters - LV - asked about any modifications. I told them what they were and that they had all been declared to Brentacre. No problems encountered as a result.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ballcrusher

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Work in progress
    • incar science
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:47 pm »
I have used greenlight insurance for a number of years cheaper than any other company and adding mods dont really add much on it nothing as I told them over got 19s lowered and upgraded  panel filter and didn't go up at all...give them a shout but you must of had 1 years insurance with another company before they except you but like I said cheaper than any other company I found online 👍