Make a donation

Author Topic: Modified car insurance  (Read 10291 times)

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Re: Modified car insurance
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:18 am »
Just goes to show you have to ring round.

With 3 modified Cars at Home - sky insurance worked out way cheaper than anyone else mentioned above (and some others). As an added bonus - the cover is like for like on mods (unlike a lot of policies).

Also, I always deal with the same bloke; chap called Luke. We always have a natter about his boxster - sent me pics of it

I think I’ve been with them 3 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 03:26:17 am »
For me the ideal insurance is to purchase a vehicle that comes with the insurance that you will receive at least one new replacement car from the car company of you're carthat you're doing business with i.e. if the inevitable was to happen.. Insurance should not be run by these 'private' companies that come up with new ideas for safer driving which all end up in you paying more! If a fatality were to occur, and yes they do- anywhere at anytime then this should be the full responsibility of the government because they manage traffic and roads in the UK so they must have to cough up the money for fatality incidents' i.e. full compensation and costs. They do have a magic tree you know  :wink:

This is just mere fantasy but the way insurance should be run is that you get this inclusive when buying a new car from the car manufacturers themselves And not companies making free money for driving. This is how car leasing works but there's another catch that you don't actually 'fully' own the car. Its just Like a car hire purchase now where's the point in that!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:41:11 am by GTi-Tecnix »
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 03:36:37 am »
Don't get me started on the insurance industry  :fighting:

The whole thing stinks of eau de watery shat. 

'Recommended' body repair shops who deliberately over charge and you're not 'allowed' to choose your own body shop without attracting some kind of penalty.

Ambulance chasing lawyer firms enabled by the useless 'legal protection' add ons that don't protect you from whiplash and crash for cash scumbags.

Windscreen replacement companies who fit crap glass deliberately to keep themselves in business and again, over charge the insurance companies, which gets passed back onto us with inflated premiums.

Government raking in 1.5% tax on every premium sold, so there is no incentive for them to tighten the regulation.  Not that there is any regulation.  The ombudsmen are as much use as snow chains in Florida.

The 'Protected' no claims bonus system that still profits THEM, not us. 

Heavily loaded premiums based upon some flim flam bullsh*t reasons they concoct among themselves.   "Oh you live the middle of nowhere with a garage.  Yeah well, this was previously a good thing for security, but this year we've decided that it's a bad thing because no one will see the car being stolen, so that'll be a 30% loading, thanks". "We don't like Manchester this month, so anyone living there will pay an extra 14%" and so on.

I wasn't joking with the garage thing.  A few years ago I was charged more for putting the car away every night.  Their suddent change of reasoning was a car parked on the street (previously a loaded scenario) is more visible to the public.  Like anyone would ring the police these days??  F'kin clowns.

It's just the usual Ivory Tower bollocks, completely out of touch with reality.   We have to begrudgingly pay it every year to remain 'legal' but it really is a big con.

Insurance was originally a community thing to protect farmers, but now it's just a revenue making scheme for greedy f'cks.

Anyway, as above, Brentacre are refreshingly different in age of call centers that treat us as cash cows.
Con was the right word you used there Pud  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
And hear this out. In an incident that involves both aprties , you still have to pay the full excess before you are even paid out. REGARDLESS of who was at fault in the claim. The term 'claim' is also very misleading indeed. All you are doing is informing them of an incident of car collision and pleading it wasn't your fault. And it doesnt end there.. They they can then decided to pend the so called 'claim' for an extended period to suit and satisfy the companies full full liability of the claim. Insurance companies all p**s in the same pan as far as I'm concerned and their use of jargons does not help matters but only complicates to confuse the claims further. And wait.. Three is also the counter-claim bit coming  from the other side where the lawyers then question your actions in driving for the claim to be settled. :fighting: :sad1: :phew:

Claim is a very toxic word they use indeed! :fighting:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:44:53 am by GTi-Tecnix »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:34 am »
Another way for insurance to be deemed fair is to use the premium that you've paid for a whole years cover i.e. without making a single claim, so that they can use thesame  money you've paid, again and not need to charge you for the following year. This would be like placing money into a trust and that money gets reused for the proceeding years ahead. This would be fair practice.They know this and won't ever want to give you this type of cover plan but they clearly interested pocketing every year- your free hard earnt cash. This is what I call being excessive !!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 11:23:22 am »
That was the original idea of insurance.   A contingency fund for farmers who lost crops due to bad weather.  There was no profiteering from it, it was just a mutually beneficial and affordable system for everybody.

The only reason car insurance people get away with bleeding us dry is because it's a legal requirement. 

The way the world is heading right now, is unsustainable.  Population explosions, jobs being automated, prices constantly on the rise......it's not going to end well.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 01:32:13 pm »
That was the original idea of insurance.   A contingency fund for farmers who lost crops due to bad weather.  There was no profiteering from it, it was just a mutually beneficial and affordable system for everybody.

The only reason car insurance people get away with bleeding us dry is because it's a legal requirement. 

The way the world is heading right now, is unsustainable.  Population explosions, jobs being automated, prices constantly on the rise......it's not going to end well.
Again well said  :congrats:
It goes to show how this country Great Britain operates on order to extort free money from us
The legal requirements bit is debatable because of the statutory regulations that are passed through Parliament (sometimes very covertly) thus they are deemed man made laws.  Not the rule of law at all when you go back to the old days of Queens Bench and the Magna Carta. Those were the original laws to govern man. But man made laws have superseded to fool us and stick the Magna Carta in a glass surroundings to see it as a work of art. How egregious and misconceived is that!
Stealth taxes are rife here in the UK with parking fines that never get settled on court but done so through threats and intimidation  by the council's who deploy bailiffs at your door.  In this case for motor insurance it creates anxiety for folk who need to cover all their "extras". They don't follow the law. If they did they will stick to the Bill of Rights 1688/89: in the event of issuing parking tickets.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:37:31 pm by GTi-Tecnix »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:34 pm »
Ha, and the taxes don't stop when you're a slab of pork on the mortuary table either.

Well, it is 'law' to have 3rd party cover, minimum.   Comprehensive is obviously your choice.

It's just one of those things in life it's best not to chew on.  We are just batteries to feed the top 1% of earners across the globe.   Modern day slavery.....especially the hospitality and health & Well being industry.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »
Is an absolute joke .... I spend around 4K a year on insurances ( inc my business) that I have never once claimed on . I’m not looking at this thread again as it boils my blood to dangerous levels  :confused:

Offline kuriisenbo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 09:07:48 pm »
Hey there. Getting an insurance for a modified car is different from when dealing with a stock one. First of all, it depends what degree of modification your car underwent. Obviously, if the only thing that's left in your car from the factory is the windshield, signing an insurance contract could be tricky. A friend of mine does drag racing and he always ensures his car at https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-insurance/ as according to him they have the most suitable conditions and the prices are relatively low when it comes to modified cars.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:55:54 am by kuriisenbo »

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 10:57:15 am »
shop around admiral wanted over£700 std mk7.5 gti marks and spencer bank£259 Same cover i am 68 no claims over 20yrs collected 3 points last year exceeding w/way limit

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 01:54:58 pm »
shop around admiral wanted over£700 std mk7.5 gti marks and spencer bank£259 Same cover i am 68 no claims over 20yrs collected 3 points last year exceeding w/way limit

You're way too old for one of those cars mate, I'll look after it for you.  :wink:
Good on you.
Ps, I'm not so far behind you....  :partywave:

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 08:10:33 pm »
Thanks eyes like a hawk reactions of a cat. A blind hawk and a dead cat

Offline RyanPaterson

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 11:40:02 pm »
I'm also looking for an insurance company for my car, i had a horrible accident on my upgraded Golf 5 and my old insurance company didn't pay me for the add on parts and i had to fix it on my own. After that i cancelled my insurance with them and had to find another company with good reputation, my friend has experience working with insurance companies recommend me to call auto insurance Lowell he said he insured his 3 cars with them and they were really nice and paying easily and cover absolutely all your expenses, but still looking for other options.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:03:20 am by RyanPaterson »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2020, 04:41:00 pm »
I paid £350 this year with LV.  Stage 1 Edition 30 with coilovers, ARBs, and bigger brakes.

I was surprised to see some of the bigger players covering mods on Confused.com.  I guess they've decided they now want the business they previously turned down and left to the smaller brokers  :grin:

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 07:51:48 pm »
I was with direct line then i got a stage 1 remap and thought ill do the right thing and tell them. Geez i spent half hour trying to explain to the numbnuts on the other end of the phone what a remap was!!! Would have been easier  to expain the da vinci code to a two year old!! Gave up and cancelled my insurance and went over to Adrian Flux. I agree though,  ive got years and years of no claims and still pay £400 a year. Cobbing runts!