Make a donation

Author Topic: Most power made on a standerd ko4  (Read 17386 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Most power made on a standerd ko4
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2018, 11:51:17 am »
I thought you were just staying clear Dan. I probably would if I could go back  :laugh:

Interestingly, topic was brought up on the TFSI tuning page the other day

438bhp 500+ lbft of toqrue measured on Hurdys old stock ed30 engine with a 200 shot of NOS…

Also, some suggested the theoretical limit of the k04 was way under what it produced when tested. All or most of the top TFSI tuners/builders (in the UK atleast) believe 400 is possible from a k04 if the engine is flowing efficiently enough. They dont think the turbo or engine will last forever, but believe its possible.

All for theoretical limits and calculation, but when the tfsi pros have already been there done that, i'll take their word for it.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2018, 12:22:52 pm »
I don't get on here much these days... Don't find a lot of time at all at the moment  :sad1:

Problems with this are the variables....  aside from individual setups, mods etc. and the occasional freak of nature setup that just makes power for no known reason..... :signLOL:

Longeivity - push it hard, it'll go bang.

Engine compression - higher compression lumps like the BWA can make more power if you can contain the knock and likelihood of terminal piston/rod bending/melting and/or ejecting. Seen a Built (properly - Forged)BWA K04 be pushed to over 400hp after fiddling with knock control just to see what is possible. Meth or race fuel dependant....different ballgame :signLOL: :driver:

Air density (pressure/temperature/IC efficiency) and knock supression/quality of fuel play the next biggest factors in determining any peak value after you have reached the airflow ceiling. Race fuel and/or the help of N2O will surpass the 400hp mark by quite a margin, as measured in the way predominantly used in this country using coastdown measuring etc.

Measuring on a bench is a different ballgame and is just changing the goalposts to be honest. No aftermarket tuner bench tests these for numbers. Then again adding N2O and race fuel is also changing the goalposts.

My two pence  :signLOL:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:25:18 pm by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline harveym3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »
I was toying with running 75 bhp noz jets in my ko4 gti but how much extra stress would the put on the engine? 

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »
I don't get on here much these days... Don't find a lot of time at all at the moment  :sad1:

Problems with this are the variables....  aside from individual setups, mods etc. and the occasional freak of nature setup that just makes power for no known reason..... :signLOL:

Longeivity - push it hard, it'll go bang.

Engine compression - higher compression lumps like the BWA can make more power if you can contain the knock and likelihood of terminal piston/rod bending/melting and/or ejecting. Seen a Built (properly - Forged)BWA K04 be pushed to over 400hp after fiddling with knock control just to see what is possible. Meth or race fuel dependant....different ballgame :signLOL: :driver:

Air density (pressure/temperature/IC efficiency) and knock supression/quality of fuel play the next biggest factors in determining any peak value after you have reached the airflow ceiling. Race fuel and/or the help of N2O will surpass the 400hp mark by quite a margin, as measured in the way predominantly used in this country using coastdown measuring etc.

Measuring on a bench is a different ballgame and is just changing the goalposts to be honest. No aftermarket tuner bench tests these for numbers. Then again adding N2O and race fuel is also changing the goalposts.

My two pence  :signLOL:

I think you meant the AXX engine, which has an higher CR. :wink:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2018, 04:59:40 pm »
The k03 engines (AXX and BWA) both have higher CR then the k04 based engines, which I think the point was. Although AXX does have higher CR then BWA.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2018, 07:49:01 pm »
The k03 engines (AXX and BWA) both have higher CR then the k04 based engines, which I think the point was. Although AXX does have higher CR then BWA.

Right! Thanks for the correction. :happy2: