Make a donation

Author Topic: Clunking front end!!  (Read 4807 times)

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Clunking front end!!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 11:59:13 am »
Try removing the drop links and go for a gentle drive over a pot hole to see if the noise is still there.

I had a similar issue with mine and changed the drop links to find they were bad a month later. Changed to some genuine one and its been fine ever since.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 07:39:46 pm »
If it's a persistent left and right light tapping noise over pretty much every surface, and isn't felt through the floor, that does sound like drop links.

Steering rack is a deeper thunk more central in the car, down by your feet.

Uprated suspension does chew through top mounts and drop links way faster than the OEM suspension though, and the OEM suspension is also a lot quieter in general.  MK5s have always suffered with noise problems with aftermarket suspension, especially coilovers and stiffer ARBs.  As long as there no other adverse affects, the noises can largely be ignored.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 08:28:02 pm »
I appreciate this is 2 years old now but finally figured out what the issue was.

The golf bust a rear spring which was picked up at MOT time, so I switched it back to stock ride height with new oem shocks and springs and lo and behold no more clunking from the  front end! My mechanic reckoned the fact I was running stock droplinks when it was lowered 20mm on the ST kit but who knows. Rides lovely now.

Out of interest how much were the OE shocks & springs?
Cheers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 10:14:33 pm »
The shocks were around £75 each last time I enquired.  The springs are a lot more money though.  I think it was around £700ish all in, hence why people go for the £540 VWR kit.  OE springs are fond of snapping, especially the rear ones which are bent at full droop because they don't operate in a vertical plane like the fronts.  Which is another reason why folk go aftermarket.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D