Make a donation

Author Topic: Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?  (Read 10640 times)

Offline jsklair

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:23 pm »
I ask because I was looking to sell mine due to being unable to drive right now (injury, not legally), and the prices as per auto trader appear to have gone up about 20% from the prices I observed a couple of years ago, I would've expected a small percentage drop.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? (Poor sample, overall industry trend, etc...)

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
I am  not sure about being a classic but I will be following this thread with interest as I was puzzled by the very same thing when I got a valuation on Auto Trader.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:25:06 pm »
A friend has recently been looking for a gti and i was shocked by some of the prices! I have had mine for 5 years I bought it for 6.2k on an 05 with 62k. A few he looked at were basically the same including age / price and mileage. So technically if I had just stored mine in the garage for the last 5 years it would have held its valve  :laugh:

Offline Wardy42

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:53:41 pm »
Just put mine up for £7750 because of this very situation so will keep you posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
Just put mine up for £7750 because of this very situation so will keep you posted

What are the spec's on your gti if you don't mind me asking?

Hopefully selling my old gti in the coming months, so this topic has definitely sparked my interest! :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
A classic ? Mk5 golf ?

In a word

No

Maybe in several years time but not now . Over the past few years older second hand cars ( and more so with decent performance orientated ones ) have held their value pretty well ..... probably all to do with the pound  dropping in value , all the pcp deals , and the fact that there are hardly any private sales anymore. Just my opinion though
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:06:11 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:40 pm »
I bought a Mk5 as a project (2005) and was going to put it in the lockup next to my 25th Anniversary....with it being the diesel Anni I may sell both to fund a R32 as I think this may appreciate 🙏

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:12 pm »
The mk5 gti is the turnaround for the gti as the mk3 only had the vr6 and the mk4 had the r32 as half saves for the gti's (remember the 112bhp gti !!!!)
mk5 will become a classic and is always a beauty.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:30:45 pm »
I bought a Mk5 as a project (2005) and was going to put it in the lockup next to my 25th Anniversary....with it being the diesel Anni I may sell both to fund a R32 as I think this may appreciate 🙏

Better off buying a good Honda S2000 for appreciating   :ashamed:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:04:18 am »

The R32 doubled in price in Ireland since 2015

Nobody wanted them back then with the huge tax costs so they dropped to €4500 and now they're upwards of €9,000

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 09:38:30 am »
Speculators have driven up the price of MK4 R32s to insane levels.  It was a dreadful car dynamically, which was not universally praised at launch due to it's many flaws. Heavy, slow for it's spec, soggy body shell, rubbish 4WD system, poor ride quality and very thirsty.   It was an 'interesting' car with and interesting engine and made in limited numbers, which just about earns it a slot in classic land......but as a drivers car, it was awful. Decent FWD hot hatches rang rings around it.  It certainly was not a 'great' car.

The MK5 GTI on the other hand, most definitely was a 'great car', universally praised and everyone loved it.  That is 100% a criteria for earning classic status.
Give it 10 years and mint ones will be fetching good money.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:00:32 pm »
In years to come there is a good chance the mk5 will be come a classic  as it was such a better gti than it's 2 predecessors and because of it's new price the numbers made were lower.

I do think it will need to be a 3 door with tartan trim, look at the past gti's as they get older the 5 doors become a lot less valuable and desirable.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline jsklair

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:16:20 pm »
I do think it will need to be a 3 door with tartan trim, look at the past gti's as they get older the 5 doors become a lot less valuable and desirable.

What kind of price differentials do you generally get between 3 door and 5 door on the likes of a Mk2?

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:29:17 pm »

What kind of price differentials do you generally get between 3 door and 5 door on the likes of a Mk2?

Hard to say .... but looking at a like for like car either a mk1 or 2 probably around 40% different in favour for the 3 door .

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:44 pm »
In years to come there is a good chance the mk5 will be come a classic  as it was such a better gti than it's 2 predecessors and because of it's new price the numbers made were lower.

Sounds good for my mk5 limited Pirelli edition then  :happy2:

One can hope !