Make a donation

Author Topic: Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?  (Read 10642 times)

Offline jsklair

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 05:49:40 pm »
looking at a like for like car either a mk1 or 2 probably around 40% different in favour for the 3 door .

Wow, did not expect that much difference.  I suppose the classic market can become very subjective.

I'll be selling in the next year or so anyway, so I probably won't experience the price jump associated with the Mk5 being a consensus 'classic'.

But I am happy with the fact that it appears my 55-plate GTi has only depreciated about 30% since I bought it in 2010. 

I'll only know for sure when the car is finally sold though...

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 06:01:31 pm »
I was in two minds about modding mine because of this. Where my car is an ex vw press car and edition30 number 2 could make it more desirable.

I only intend on making mods that are easily revered.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:02 pm »
I do think it will need to be a 3 door with tartan trim, look at the past gti's as they get older the 5 doors become a lot less valuable and desirable.

What kind of price differentials do you generally get between 3 door and 5 door on the likes of a Mk2?
Like for like a 5 door 16v golf mk2 is worth about half of a 3 door.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:14 am »
There's been a couple of recent media mentions about the Mk5 GTi becoming a future classic and, whilst I don't expect this to happen any time soon, we could be close to the point where prices bottom out.  Maybe in 15 years time, values for good examples will overtake their original list prices just like what has already happened with many 80’s hot hatches.  IMO values will be determined more by mileage/ownership history/condition than the number of doors and manuals may become more sought after as the motoring world will be mostly hybrid electric by then. Here's a snippet from today's Telegraph on the spread of 205 gti values

"At its December 2017 sale, Barons sold an immaculate, one-owner, very low mileage Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi for £26,620. It’s presenting another 205 1.9 GTi, made in 1992, at the same sale. The guide price is £2,000-£4,000 - unlike the car sold in December, it has almost 200,000 miles on the clock and is unrestored, although the auctioneer says that it has been well maintained."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:00:39 am by colesey »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 09:57:27 am »
I bet the 200K example drives a lot better!   Cars like that are meant to be driven.  It's a shame greasy little speculators drive up the prices of mint ones beyond the reach of average earning enthusiasts.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:12:12 am »
I imagine the buyer is likely a middle aged guy taking a trip down memory lane.  I had a 1.9 gti shortly after I graduated and it was a cracking car, great fun. Am amazed there are any left given their build quality and appetite for lift off oversteer 😂

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:48 pm »
I imagine the buyer is likely a middle aged guy taking a trip down memory lane.  I had a 1.9 gti shortly after I graduated and it was a cracking car, great fun. Am amazed there are any left given their build quality and appetite for lift off oversteer 😂

I preferred the 309 GTI as it was a bit less tail happy, but yep, very flimsy cars!  The 405 MI16 was better still in terms of handling, imo.   Funny what happened to Peugeot. A brief period of greatness, followed decades of dreary trash driven by pensioners.   They still make mighty fine salt and pepper mills though  :grin:

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 01:01:12 pm »
Pistonheads put this out just a few days ago too.

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk5-spotted/37555

I did notice between when I originally decided I wanted one early last year to actually buying one, general prices had risen. When I first considered them a couple of years back there was a mint Edition 30 on for just under £5k....low miles and one lady owner.....really wish I'd have had the money back then :)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:31 pm »

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk5-spotted/37555

I did notice between when I originally decided I wanted one early last year to actually buying one, general prices had risen. When I first considered them a couple of years back there was a mint Edition 30 on for just under £5k....low miles and one lady owner.....really wish I'd have had the money back then :)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:34 pm »
I can't stand Piston Heads.  It's full of middle aged angry throbbers. 

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:59 pm »
I don’t ever recall seeing a 5 door mk1 GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
Is the Mk5 GTi becoming a 'classic'?
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:30 pm »

I did notice between when I originally decided I wanted one early last year to actually buying one, general prices had risen. When I first considered them a couple of years back there was a mint Edition 30 on for just under £5k....low miles and one lady owner.....really wish I'd have had the money back then

DOH

Real shame bud ED30 is what the mk5 GTI should of been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline recardo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 06:09:11 pm »
Not sure about it being a classic, this decade.
Given the MK5 is the GTi that got its mojo back after staid Mk3s and Mk4s prices will eventually bottom out, but clean examples will become sought after and desirable over MK3s & 4s. 

There has always been a trend with golfs and applying the styles of later models - for example lights etc, to older models, and modding in general.  This will ensure a variety of cars and prices on the market for a few years yet from unloved, badly modified, professionally modified, standard, well maintained and looked after etc, but as the knackered and crashed cars diminish the numbers, the clean and well kept shouldn't depreciate too much if at all.

My personal opinion is like most versions of the GTi, there will always be enthusiast interest, especially for standard, well maintained or sensibly modified examples, with history, a certain number of doors and probably manual boxes etc.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »
Cheap leasing deals on MK7s, MK7.5s, MK8s are driving down the MK5 prices.  People quickly forget the golden nuggets when bargains are to be had, but Edition 30s & Pirellis are still holding their value.  They will only go up in value in the next decade, 100%.  The same will happen to the GTI as well.  How can it not when E30 325i sports fetch £51k now???  Nothing remarkable about that car in it's day......but anything old and low mileage commands big cash these days.  Even RS Turbos are well north of £20K now, which always was and still is a dreadful car compared to it's rivals from the 80/90s.

Offline webup2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 12:57:22 am »
Whoever the mod is on this site needs to get a grip!

This topic was discussing lowest mileage GTIs and I posted one i saw for sale (not mine) and got a instaban.