Make a donation

Author Topic: Piston Heads Silverstone 02/04  (Read 1573 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Piston Heads Silverstone 02/04
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:35:53 pm »
Piston Heads are putting on another meet at Silverstone with option for 30 min track taser session this Easter Monday. Would be good to see a few of us down there. 90% decided ill have a quick go on the track too!  :driver:

https://www.pistonheads.com/calendar/event.asp?i=70174

https://shop.silverstone.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/ProductMembership.aspx?ProductSubType=PHTD&soalready=YWzM3sPAjMwefkIikIdQFHOPvUdxFuCmnjZnTPesE20=

Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Piston Heads Silverstone 02/04
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:02 am »
I did this a few years ago in my Mondeo ST220.  It was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't choose silverstone for a normal road car again.  After only a few laps the brakes were totally cooked, clutch was slipping after 20 minutes because of the heat and the car just didn't really appreciate it.  I know the GTi is a smaller lighter car, but silverstone is just to big, fast and open to really enjoy a 200-230bhp hatchback imo - you need a circuit that's tighter and windier to really appreciate the values of the golf.  It was feel slow and lost at silverstone I think.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »
I did this a few years ago in my Mondeo ST220.  It was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't choose silverstone for a normal road car again.  After only a few laps the brakes were totally cooked, clutch was slipping after 20 minutes because of the heat and the car just didn't really appreciate it.  I know the GTi is a smaller lighter car, but silverstone is just to big, fast and open to really enjoy a 200-230bhp hatchback imo - you need a circuit that's tighter and windier to really appreciate the values of the golf.  It was feel slow and lost at silverstone I think.

I appreciate the feedback on your experiences. Ill be having a go, still. Its only a half hour session designed for novices for limited numbers of cars on track at once so seems the perfect place for a first experience on track. I've never been on track before and may never go again (hopefully once will be enough!), but do want to put a tick in the box so-to-speak. I fully plan to take it easy. :innocent:

The track time is not compulsory so hope to see some more MK5s just there for the meet.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 12:41:31 pm »

I appreciate the feedback on your experiences. Ill be having a go, still. Its only a half hour session designed for novices for limited numbers of cars on track at once so seems the perfect place for a first experience on track. I've never been on track before and may never go again (hopefully once will be enough!), but do want to put a tick in the box so-to-speak. I fully plan to take it easy. :innocent:

The track time is not compulsory so hope to see some more MK5s just there for the meet.

To be fair I am probably being a bit harsh.  I was a lot of fun, and I don't have any regrets it was very enjoyable day out.