Make a donation

Author Topic: Cv joint  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
Cv joint
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:09 pm »
Think I might’ve knackered mine since going stage 2 ( wheel hop)
Have a knocking/rotational click when monouvering / parking
Does it sound like cv failure or something else?

Just wondered what cv joints people use on here?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Cv joint
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »
Think I might’ve knackered mine since going stage 2 ( wheel hop)
Have a knocking/rotational click when monouvering / parking
Does it sound like cv failure or something else?

Just wondered what cv joints people use on here?
Front end, yes? Inner or outer needs yet to be determined. Most likely is the CV but there's a small possibility it is the upper strut bearing. Upper strut bearing will only make noise you can hear when turning the wheels at 0 speed to a "too slow to register a mph" speed. Most folks just replace the complete axle rather than just the one bad CV joint because you may rebuild one end, install the axle and the other end could go at any time or cause the new addition to wear quicker due to slop on the end you left alone if didn't replace both CV's at the time of repair. Are you sure it isn't just a torn boot that has lost all grease where a new CV boot and re-greasing will fix? Test the joint...read this, so not 100% it works or helps determining inner or outer;  One way to make sure is to keep your car stationary and lock the steering wheel to the left and then the right. If you hear a clunk when you lock the steering to go left then it's the right side cv joint...and if the clunking is heard when locking the wheel to the right it is the left cv joint. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:22:26 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:29:16 am »
Any difference in dsg/manual driveshafts ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:26 am »
Complete shaft from VW is about £400 Ron, so not financially viable.  I know there are cheap crappy chinese ones ebay though.

Can get GKN Lobro outer joints for about £60 though, which is the OEM brand.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:11:28 am »
Ok, any difference in manual & dsg shafts?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:18:06 am »
Outer, no. Inner, don’t know. Google?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:42 am »
It’s the offside I need so that’s cool, cheers!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
Complete shaft from VW is about £400 Ron, so not financially viable.  I know there are cheap crappy chinese ones ebay though.

Can get GKN Lobro outer joints for about £60 though, which is the OEM brand.
That's good to know GKN are oem brand for vw

Offline suf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:24:58 pm »
I recently discovered both my boots torn and got them resealed although can definitely relate to the rotational clicking sound and louder sounds when I turn the steering full lock. (more so on the right, suggesting right CV joint failure).

Would you recommend I just replace the whole axle ? Or work from one end at a time.

Another observation is a loud clicking sound when pressing the brake pedal at a full lock or occasionally when at ultra low speeds. Could this also be related to this issue ?

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:33 pm »
Sounds the same as mine mate
Personally if you catch it early enough ( like mine) I think just replacing the bad cv joint is enough.
I’m tempted to get a second hand complete shaft and put it on or I may just take it to a garage and say “fix this please”.....not sure yet

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 10:31:41 pm »
Thanks for posting this thread Rigsby, it seems I’m experiencing a very similar or the same problem. I noticed initially when reversing and turning the steering wheel to the left, which results in a knocking under the car which can be felt under the pedals.
I’ve also noticed today the knocking today when parking the car and turning the wheel to straighten up the car. I will try the test suggested by Roh tomorrow
Black Ed30

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 01:18:28 am »
Thanks for posting this thread Rigsby, it seems I’m experiencing a very similar or the same problem. I noticed initially when reversing and turning the steering wheel to the left, which results in a knocking under the car which can be felt under the pedals.
I’ve also noticed today the knocking today when parking the car and turning the wheel to straighten up the car. I will try the test suggested by Roh tomorrow
Would like to know if the test results correctly...because found those instructions posted by another on another forum...and curious as to their accuracy. Thanks
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:07 am »
Would like to know if the test results correctly...because found those instructions posted by another on another forum...and curious as to their accuracy. Thanks

yeah I’ll feedback later, funnily enough I did try turning the steering wheel full lock (whilst driving) as I did it years ago on a mk2 golf which resulted in repeated knocking but this didn’t work when I tried it on the mk5
Black Ed30

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
Ok so I tried the full lock left and right a couple of times, no knocking sound whatsoever. So I’m a bit stumped to what it can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ed30

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:22:23 pm »
Well, as I said, it was posted by someone on another MK5 forum and could possibly be BS.