Make a donation

Author Topic: Just replaced DV, now juddering and blinking engine light  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Just replaced DV, now juddering and blinking engine light
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
Hi,

I’m brand new to the forum, having just bought my first Mk5 GTi. I wanted one for ages, having previously owned Mk1’s, Mk2’s & Corrado’s.

It’s an ‘08 plate on BWA engine. Standard.

Quite quickly after I bought it, I knew something wasn’t right with the engine as it felt flat. It felt naturally aspirated, there didn’t appear to be any surge from a turbo charger. After a quick google I changed the DV valve tonight (with a Rev G), the old one had completely and utterly split all the way around.

The good news is, it now goes like absolute stink! I’m very happy.

The bad news, it immediately started intermittently juddering under hard acceleration. At first I thought it was spinning its wheels as it felt very similar, like something was slipping, before kicking back in again. Each judder/ slip lasting a couple of seconds before the car pulls forward hard again.

After this happened 2/3 times the engine light started blinking at me, for around 10 seconds, before going off again.

I drove it a bit further and the juddering/ slipping continued happening in the same way, lasting just a couple of seconds and it didn’t seem to matter what RPM I was at, just under hard acceleration. Engine light started blinking again for around 10 seconds before going off.

Any ideas what’s going on? If I drive it sensibly it’s absolutely fine. I’m worried it may be the clutch, as it feels like a slip, but that wouldn’t explain the blinking engine light.

Annoyed, as now the car has its power back, it can’t handle it!

Thanks in advance.

Will

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Just replaced DV, now juddering and blinking engine light
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:15:36 pm »
All sorted. Appears it was a misfire. No idea why this manifested itself immediately after changing the DV valve, maybe the extra torque placed more demand on the engine?

Anyway, new R8 coil packs and iridium spark plugs seems to have sorted it.

£128 worse off but happy  :smiley:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Just replaced DV, now juddering and blinking engine light
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:40:01 am »
Likely appeared suddenly due to the boost....when boosting the ignition and fuel injector timing is different than when in vac or if running NA. Happy trails!
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1