Make a donation

Author Topic: Best sounding intake  (Read 10642 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Best sounding intake
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 01:47:13 pm »
It's not mandatory but as above, you may not achieve the advertised figures with standard hardware.

I ran 2+ with the standard intake (and exhaust!) after not getting on with aftermarket intakes.  It ran absolutely fine.  It made the same 400 odd lbft torque as one of R-tech's typical pushed to the max maps, just not as much high rpm bhp.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:04 pm »
I can imagine many tuners are keen on impressive maximum / headline numbers as that is how many will judge their product on facebook / forums etc.  Question for consumers is are you happy to lose some daily drivability with less torque / response low down and more noise for the sake of an extra 20bhp on peak numbers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 05:29:23 pm »
Indeed.  I would love to see what an R-Tech tuned Ed30 puts down on a known low reading dyno, such as Surrey Rolling road.  380+hp from a stock KO4 is pure fantasy.  It'll be nearer 350 in reality.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 08:02:29 pm »
Do you think that mapping a car at 82K is a crazy idea for long life?

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:17 pm »
Do you think that mapping a car at 82K is a crazy idea for long life?
Mileage is nothing, maintenance is key

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:29 am »
+1

A lot of GTI owners have had maps for years with no reliability concerns.  Lifespan is proportional to the amount of abuse it gets.  Same applies to all cars.   If you have stage 2+ and track it every weekend and hammer it to and from work every day, well, something will go pop pretty quickly.

If you have Stage 1 and boost it infrequently, with regular 3K oil changes, it will last for years.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:55 pm »
And what about Stage 2?

I've been advised as I have a BCS T.B.E that I should go for Stage 2.

But i've heard I'll need a new clutch for Stage 2.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 02:49:41 pm »
At 82K, Stage 1 will likely need a clutch as well.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 02:54:08 pm »
Fair one. What did you go for pal?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 03:11:29 pm »
If you have Stage 1 and boost it infrequently, with regular 3K oil changes, it will last for years.

I think I know who you might be referring to 😂

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »
Funnily enough, 82K was the exact mileage mine slipped after a remap.  It didn't slip all of the time, just in certain scenarios, such as booting it up a hill in 3rd or 4th @ 3000rpm.

It also slipped on the dyno just after the map was uploaded, so it basically only measured up to 280hp.   After a clutch it went up to 310 where it should have been.

As a side note: the car had Revo 1 on it when I bought it, and the clutch didn't slip.  So the likelihood of slipping appears to be dependant on the aggressiveness of the boost onset.  Revo maps are lower output/less aggressive than APR and R-Tech.  It measured 287hp on the dyno, which is about right given how placid the map feels.  Nowhere near the 300-315 they claim though  :grin:

Anyway, waffle... I went with the Helix.  Wish I hadn't tbh.  I've lived with it for 4 years nearly, but it's a pain in the arse.  Really low bite point and heavy in traffic.  I don't know if other Helix users have had this, but I sometimes have difficulty selecting the lower gears and it sometimes gets stuck in 1st when crawling in traffic.  Have to pump the clutch a few times to get it back to neutral.  It's not the gearbox.  It's just a sh1t clutch.  Unless the pedal is mashed right into the carpet, the gears will baulk.

I would say a new stock clutch with Revo 1 will be fine.  If you want more power, go for an OEM TTRS pressure plate with OEM GTI friction disc.  Be wary of aftermarket clutches. People never report negatives, but I say things how they are, and I say Helix clutches are sh*t.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »
Having to uprate the clutch is really putting me off to be fair, I really like the stock clutch and anything different or heavier might just grind my gears (Pardon the pun).

Stop start traffic is a real world thing we all have to put up with.

I know i've been recommended Stage 2 based on the higher flow that I have, but honestly I'm tempted by a Stage 1 with no uprated clutch.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 04:16:54 pm »
Yep. In hindsight I wish I had gone for DSG.  The cost of replacing failed mechatronics is arguably cheaper and less hassle than £850 - £1000, plus fitting, for an uprated clutch?

If you like the standard clutch, the best option would be TTRS pressure plate + oem GTI disc.  Or just put a new standard one in.  It will be lighter and grippier than your 82K old one for sure.

I keep saying it, but Stage 1 is the sweet spot. 2 and 2+ is just big bills for minimal gain.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 08:15:17 pm »
Having just had a Helix clutch fitted and can comment, as pudding states it is heavy compared to standard. Mine doesn't suffer with a low biting point or the issue pud says about selecting gears.
I would have opted for a DSG but my Pirelli ticked all the boxes with regards to service history, condition, mileage and dear I say rarity (at the time) of what was on sale during my search.

Im running stage 1 R-tech making 300bhp and my DMF went before the clutch slipped (58k ish). I went with the Helix for peace of mind, and if I could be sure that a new stock clutch would hold up then I would have thought long and hard about taking that route, as it's an expensive job to keep changing clutches..

Mine isn't a daily, so Im lucky that I don't have to do the stop/start BS that comes with today driving, if it was my daily I would have probably left it stock in the power department as even a stage 1 it's a wheel spinning frenzy on anything but idea roads!

DSG mk7 R for me next I feel, or a club sport S mapped.. oh god, I'm doing it again.... :scared:

Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:44 pm »
Having just had a Helix clutch fitted and can comment, as pudding states it is heavy compared to standard. Mine doesn't suffer with a low biting point or the issue pud says about selecting gears.
I would have opted for a DSG but my Pirelli ticked all the boxes with regards to service history, condition, mileage and dear I say rarity (at the time) of what was on sale during my search.

Im running stage 1 R-tech making 300bhp and my DMF went before the clutch slipped (58k ish). I went with the Helix for peace of mind, and if I could be sure that a new stock clutch would hold up then I would have thought long and hard about taking that route, as it's an expensive job to keep changing clutches..

Mine isn't a daily, so Im lucky that I don't have to do the stop/start BS that comes with today driving, if it was my daily I would have probably left it stock in the power department as even a stage 1 it's a wheel spinning frenzy on anything but idea roads!

DSG mk7 R for me next I feel, or a club sport S mapped.. oh god, I'm doing it again.... :scared:

Give it time  :grin:

Seriously though, mine was also OK when new, but at 4 years old now, it's bloody awful.   Even heavier (as all clutches become approaching and beyond half worn) and even worse with the gear selection.

I did look into the well known gearbox input shaft float problem, and also excessive crank thrust bearing wear, but both are fine.  It's not a leaking slave otherwise gear selection would be terrible 100% of the time, but it's inconsistent and the brake fluid level isn't dropping.....which also out rules the clutch master cyl.

Something definitely isn't right with mine, but as yours is recent, you've probably got an improved version.  I think the Helix kits come with a billet pressure plate now?  Mine is the old steel one, made by SACHS.  I know Awesome stopped selling the Helix kit some years ago because of similar issues, if not the same.

Anyway, best of luck with yours.

If you are considering a MK7 DSG, make sure you test drive it very thoroughly!  The 7 speed is not as good as the 6 speed in the MK5/6, imo.   You will see for yourself if any of your driving scenarios are the same as mine!