Make a donation

Author Topic: Best sounding intake  (Read 10634 times)

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
Re: Best sounding intake
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
It seems Golf Rs are being targeted for their wheels and brakes at the moment, and anything else of value that will sell on ebay.   Brazen scumbags literally put cars on bricks on dealer forecourts and nick the rims and brakes, usually smashing a back window to get into the boot for the wheel bolt key and jack.

I wouldn't even own a MK6 R for that reason, let alone a 7.  Edition 30s and Pirellis are probably targets for their wheels and model specific parts also.

What a world we live in?  Well, that's completely f'cked as I keep saying.  Nature will kick in at some point to deal with the over population.

But closer to home, the country we live in is mega f'cked.  Whilst everyone in parliament is focused on the shambolic mess that is Brexit, the country is rapidly becoming lawless.  People are being stabbed and being burgled and there are no police task forces to deal with it.  The few police that remain would rather sit on motorways catching speeders as it's less effort and less paper work.  It won't be long before gangs of vigilantes start roaming the streets.

Anyway, wingbacks, only the R32 got those as an option.  Revo intake, or any intake, totally agree. Noisy, nasty peices of junk that only free up power in an rpm band we seldom drive at.

Agree with all of the above, I actually sold my MK6 R about 2 Years ago. Decided to have a break from Performance Cars in 2017 and bought a Mint MK1 Fabia VRS TDI as a daily and still have it today.

Gets me to work just as quick as my old ED30's and Golf R's
Averages 54MPG
Costs £200 to Insure Fully Comp
Nobody wants to steal it

I don't miss the Performance my Mapped ED30/6R' offered and just enjoy the Fabia for its simplicity, How cheap it is to run and I have no urge to modify it in any way, Just keep it Mint and use it.

Might return to the fold again but I would keep the Fabia and buy something else as a Toy and to have a bit of a project with, That said I have a 200BHP Motorbike which is quicker than any Car I could ever afford to purchase  :grin:

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 02:22:46 pm »
It seems Golf Rs are being targeted for their wheels and brakes at the moment, and anything else of value that will sell on ebay.   Brazen scumbags literally put cars on bricks on dealer forecourts and nick the rims and brakes, usually smashing a back window to get into the boot for the wheel bolt key and jack.

I wouldn't even own a MK6 R for that reason, let alone a 7.  Edition 30s and Pirellis are probably targets for their wheels and model specific parts also.

What a world we live in?  Well, that's completely f'cked as I keep saying.  Nature will kick in at some point to deal with the over population.

But closer to home, the country we live in is mega f'cked.  Whilst everyone in parliament is focused on the shambolic mess that is Brexit, the country is rapidly becoming lawless.  People are being stabbed and being burgled and there are no police task forces to deal with it.  The few police that remain would rather sit on motorways catching speeders as it's less effort and less paper work.  It won't be long before gangs of vigilantes start roaming the streets.

Anyway, wingbacks, only the R32 got those as an option.  Revo intake, or any intake, totally agree. Noisy, nasty peices of junk that only free up power in an rpm band we seldom drive at.

Agree with all of the above, I actually sold my MK6 R about 2 Years ago. Decided to have a break from Performance Cars in 2017 and bought a Mint MK1 Fabia VRS TDI as a daily and still have it today.

Gets me to work just as quick as my old ED30's and Golf R's
Averages 54MPG
Costs £200 to Insure Fully Comp
Nobody wants to steal it

I don't miss the Performance my Mapped ED30/6R' offered and just enjoy the Fabia for its simplicity, How cheap it is to run and I have no urge to modify it in any way, Just keep it Mint and use it.

Might return to the fold again but I would keep the Fabia and buy something else as a Toy and to have a bit of a project with, That said I have a 200BHP Motorbike which is quicker than any Car I could ever afford to purchase  :grin:

I did the same a long time ago and went through a succession of boring cars like Cavaliers, BMW estates and Ford Focuses  :grin:   

Highly strung performance cars can egg you on to drive them hard all the time, which comes with corresponding upkeep and fuel costs!  Not to mention the anxiety of leaving expensive & desirable machinery unattended.  It does wear you down eventually.

Life in the slow lane didn't last long though  :grin:

Is it one of those old boxy Fabias with the 1.9 PD engine, 130ish bhp if I remember?   I do remember people getting excited by those back in the day.  That's where I was coming from with stealthy performance that isn't on theives' radars!  The modern day equivalent could be an 8V S3 with a 2.0 TDI make over  :grin:

I decided a long time ago bikes weren't for me after driving into a ditch on my CBT test  :grin:   I wouldn't ride one the way the roads and drivers are these days anyway.  It must be tiring being on your guard for morons and pot holes constantly!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 10:25:40 am »
I did the same a long time ago and went through a succession of boring cars like Cavaliers, BMW estates and Ford Focuses  :grin:   

Highly strung performance cars can egg you on to drive them hard all the time, which comes with corresponding upkeep and fuel costs!  Not to mention the anxiety of leaving expensive & desirable machinery unattended.  It does wear you down eventually.

Life in the slow lane didn't last long though  :grin:

Is it one of those old boxy Fabias with the 1.9 PD engine, 130ish bhp if I remember?   I do remember people getting excited by those back in the day.  That's where I was coming from with stealthy performance that isn't on theives' radars!  The modern day equivalent could be an 8V S3 with a 2.0 TDI make over  :grin:

I decided a long time ago bikes weren't for me after driving into a ditch on my CBT test  :grin:   I wouldn't ride one the way the roads and drivers are these days anyway.  It must be tiring being on your guard for morons and pot holes constantly!

Yes that is the One, Little Yellow Box with the 130BHP 1.9 PD Motor. Brilliant little Car.

As for the Bike, I had lost interest in Performance Cars for reasons already mentioned. I enjoy every minute when I am out on the Bike, It has rekindled a love which I lost with Cars and infact I get more enjoyment out of the Bike than I have done for quite a number of Years with Cars.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 01:43:56 pm »
Agreed, loved my sports bikes more than any car I've owned, but a young family at the time and a house purchased forced me to sell my GSXR1000.
I would have another and maybe one day I will, but with a noticeable amount of poor driving on the road these days puts me off, not to mention the real struggle I had not to ride the thing like I'd just stolen it.

Bike track days over every summer weekend turned my riding into something that doesn't belong on the public road (god I sound old) resulting in new back tyres every 2k was getting expensive, and was only going to result in loss of license or life!

A Honda S2000 didn't even match the fun of a bike and I moved onto the Pirelli, which I'm very happy with, it gives me an interest that shouldn't kill me!
I also loved having a company car, leave it anywhere, load it up with waste for the tip and the things I wouldn't do to my own car  :grin:

And I would love a BMW S1000RR! just got to work on the belly to get back in the Alpinestars leathers  :smiley:
Pirelli GTI

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:12 pm »
@Pudding It looks like the OEM TTRS pressure plate with OEM GTI friction disc requires some modification to work? Or is that just MK6 onwards?

The spline sizes are different due to a different drive train.

Hmms.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 05:35:25 am »
@Absolute - is just a mounting dowel that needs drilling on the TTRS pressure plate and you should use an original / TDi friction disc with the correct spline mounting. Is worth googling diy RSR clutch kit to get more insight and parts numbers etc.

Another clutch option is the new stage 2 kit offered by ECS.  As the SMF is still moderately heavy, it should give a decent compromise for daily use and avoid the potential reliability issues of replacement DMFs.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mk5-gti-jetta-fsi-ecs-tuning-stage-2-performance-clutch-kit-with-lightweight-forged-steel-flywheel-1885lbs/004258ecs01kt/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:58:41 am by colesey »

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 11:23:41 pm »
Cheers @colesey. I'll look into that some more.

APR Stage 1 is booked in for Wednesday.

I wonder, do you think it's a DIY job? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but honestly, sometimes it's more cost effective to get someone with a set of ramps to do it.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2019, 10:20:38 am »
It's certainly worth getting someone to do a clutch as it's a royal PITA, but the labour rates really stack up.

I'm planning to do mine this summer as the DMF is fooked.   I'm going to pull whole drivetrain out through the front.  Bumper off, radiator stack off, unbolt downpipe etc....piece of cake.

It's far more satisfying knowing you've done big jobs yourself......and it's the best way to learnl.....and is the cheapest method.  Win win.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2019, 10:35:49 am »
Yeah, having looked at the installation guide ECS tunnig provide for their clutch kit for the MK5 Stage 1, it looks like a 3-4 day for me

Might look for a cheap run around this summer, or get a quote for fitment of a new uprated clutch.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 11:17:37 am »
Sounds like a good time to upgrade intercooler if you have the front of the car apart

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 11:57:39 am »
Indeed.  Great time to sprinkle some upgrades on.

VAG call removing the front end the 'service position' and can be done in less than an hour if you've done it a few times  :happy2:

I've done a clutch before on ramps (engine in situ) and it really, really isn't a pleasant job at all.  It's easier if you drop the subframe, otherwise you end up wrestling with 75 kilos of gearbox trying to find the right angle to drop it through the (tiny) gap.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 03:42:18 pm »
Not sure my wallet can take that  :signLOL:

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2019, 04:18:53 pm »
granted @Pudding , it would be a piece of cake with the front end off..  :happy2:

we have done Aka's clutches' & gearboxes'... yeah that's right 'sssss!!! he's never happy with the clutch or broken something!!  :signLOL:

so yeah, we have done this job on axles a good handful of times now with front end on, you just got to find the right angle (and remove the offside driveshaft cup), including other Vags like the 1.8t etc. @absolute  its not as bad as it sounds, as long as you know how to undo and put bolts back which you do, you'll be fine..  :)

I don't think this is a "hard job" at all really.. its just time consuming, that's it! like most jobs really. I would happily spend lets just say a day if you've not done it before, and save myself 100's doing it myself. even if its something ive not done before, with a bit of research and some common/basic knowledge.. you're good to go in my eyes! I will only take my car to a garage, for things like tracking, MOT, tyres, Air con.. 10 tonne presses and all the kind of stuff i cant do at home due to some machinery! I literally cannot take my car to a garage to do a job that I could do myself.. for the sake of getting off my lazy ass to go and do it lol might take me longer, but the job gets done and I get in the bath thinking.. bugger me I must of saved myself thousands and thousands over the years! until I get to an age where I physically can't or become too lazy.. I will continue to do it all myself  :happy2:
if you got the tools mate.. smash it yourself! (soz if I went a bit off subject lol)