Make a donation

Author Topic: Smoke test "on the cheap"  (Read 2649 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Smoke test "on the cheap"
« on: May 30, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »
Added a new vid to my U2B channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJjOyEkoyI

Any helpful comments welcome...I did another test a while back and discovered a leak at the MAF using other ways and method of sealing things up...this is much better and will allow reuse in the future.

I couldn't blow smoke into it very easily unless I periodically went back and unplugged one of the two exhaust plugs. Then I could go back and add more smoke. Tomorrow I will leave one of the exhaust plugs out and just add as much smoke as I can deal with...then plug it all up and add pressure to about 20 psi and seal it and see if it holds the pressure. If the pressure drops...I will search and hopefully find where from if I can.

But I found no leaks this time and think I may have a sensor issue causing the +8% LTFT "off idle"....you may remember sealing the MAF leak I found earlier reduced the LTFT from near +15% to +8% "off idle". Trying to figure out why I have to be light on the throttle to keep it at 12 in Hg to get good mpg. If I drive normal the vac goes above 12 in Hg quite easily and mpg suffers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:39:13 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Smoke test "on the cheap"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:17:16 am »
Today I attempted to pressurize the system and couldn't, it wouldn't even get near 5 psi but was holding a tiny bit of pressure....and I heard air coming from the turbo area. So I added 2 cigs worth of smoke, pressurized as good as I could, and sealed it. I first only smelled the smoke but finally I saw smoke coming from under the intake to turbo connection but couldn't pinpoint exactly where the smoke was coming from, but definitely leaking. Next, I will remove the intake and heat shield and try again locating the leak, but not today. I hope it is just the rear breather tube gasket or EVAP connection. It didn't seem to be any of the N75 or WGA vac tubing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:26:02 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:21 am »
Does your car have a cough now?  :laugh: :signLOL:
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:45:14 am »
No...but I almost  :sick:

Today the smoke came from the same area and even with the intake and P-flo heat shield moved away, I couldn't tell where it came from. I can do this again with the wheel liner removed, but now I think even if I find it, the turbo or exhaust manifold will need to be removed to resolve the leak. Unless it is coming from the K04 turbo outlet flange or from the forge WGA.  :thinking:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:49:23 am by ROH ECHT »