Make a donation

Author Topic: Midline to highline (860 to 872) swap issues  (Read 1419 times)

fizzybubbelech

Midline to highline (860 to 872) swap issues
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:06:41 am »
Hiya, hope someone smarter than myself might shed some light on this.
Tried to swap my 860 (midline) to 872 cluster (highline) the other day and failed.
What we got:
Euro Mk5, 2004, 3 door TDI.
Currently running 860 cluster. (Known 4 digit PIN)
Car has MFA fitted as standard with the little rocker switch on the wiper stalk.
I also just fitted the newer style MFSW including new slip ring and CH control module, which functions partly (it does control the volume and mutes audio on the RCD510, it also scrolls through MFA using right hand side buttons, yet the horn is missing (that's a different story I guess).
Got a spare 872 cluster which I was hoping I'll manage to fit myself. (Known 4 digit PIN).

Obviously I struggled. I managed to add a new key to the 860 cluster so PIN definitely works for the old one, and when I swap clusters over I was able to log in to new immo as well so I guess the other pin is correct too.
I did follow the Ross tech guide yet when trying to adapt the new cluster it doesn't pull the data from the ECU (I believe that's what it supposed to do?) and therefore the vin and immo I'd stays the same (ie the one that the new cluster had initially) and obviously I can't start the car.
Cluster says immo adjustment failure.
Tried this a few times now and getting tired of having to adapt the steering and abs every time so I've decided I'll do homework first.

Things I think I might be doing wrong:
Does the battery HAVE to be above 12v? Obviously after fiddling with the car for a while it has dropped to around 11.smth
Am I right to assume that I will need some virgin immo transponders to adapt to new cluster? This is confusing as I thought if I manage to make it 'pull' the data from ECU (ie vin and immo) it would make my old keys work?

Anyway. Following the instructions and getting nowhere got me really confused here and I am hoping someone here knows better.
P.s. I went for the 872 cluster because reading online I am under impression that this is the cluster to go for for an older car if I want to use newer style MFSW and RCD 510.

Thanks.
Vic

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Midline to highline (860 to 872) swap issues
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:48:40 pm »
You need to copy the old cluster immobiliser data to the new one and also the millage correction using VAG commander......then use VCDS to do the usual steering angle reset etc etc.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI