Make a donation

Author Topic: Porsche Cayman 981 Black Edition  (Read 36083 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Porsche Cayman 981 Black Edition
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 04:50:28 pm »
Best colour for a Porsche  :happy2:    I was never a big fan of the original Cayman but yours looks great.

Your English is superb.  Are you an English person living in Romania, or are you Romanian with excellent English?  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 07:37:00 pm »
@rex

Sorry Rex, in my previous post - yes of course as I'm sure you realised, I meant the 981  :ashamed:  I'm realising the subtle differences that the GTS has compared with the 'S' model, although I couldn't really spot them knowingly until your thread now, particularly the tail lights :happy2:

I love driving the GTS from RSR, hopefully they keep it another year or two as they seem to be getting rid of their not-so-new and more expensive to run cars!

The fog grille mods look superb, I love something home-made that ends up OEM looking  :evilgrin:

The 981 Cayman S is still very expensive in the UK (£35k + still) which shows it's appeal and resale value is still substantial. Be great when the values settle a little because they're a great weekend and track-car as you're demonstrating with this build  :drinking:

Maybe buy the GTS from RSR  :happy2:
Yes, the 981's seem to keep their value quite well... I think it has to do with being the last naturally aspirated Porsche (non GT).
I didn't buy mine cheap (much more than £35k) but I think it was worth it.

Unfortunately I don't have the finances to regularly track the Cayman. It's not about the cost of the mods to make it truly track ready but the costs of repair if I crash the car...

Great work @rex:happy2:

Thanks!  :notworthy:

Hi Rex,

Finally had some time to discover the well hidden topic  :doh: and the car in action, I quite enjoyed the second video, even if you say it was slower, I find it very fluid despite the traffic and ultimately for me this is most important on the Nring beside safety  :smiley:.  I’m a little curious about the steering  feel on a track like Nordschleife (I’ve never driven a Cayman on the track) , you seem to do a lot of ‘’in bend ‘’ corrections ?, especially on the first video, maybe being used to your usual track car and adapting gradually?  Nevertheless, very good, real (=changing gears ),  driving as usual  :happy2: and beautiful, special, car especially irl, quite jealous as I sad  :smiley:

Sorry about your misfortune in Italy, it could’ve been much worse as you said, besides you didn’t have a central radiator behind the bumper to start leaking, immobilize your car and ruin your trip  :wink:.  You shouldn’t be too harsh on yourself, in Italy they don’t have the reflex to manually activate the emergency lights in hard braking as in Germany or most of the other countries, the collisions are the rule over there.  I can see by the way you quickly recovered and the car looks better than ever, love the GTS additions, very impressed by your mechanic and custom work also  :congrats:

Finally, it was really a pleasure to meet again and share our common passion at the Ring, see you next time soon!  :driver:

Best regards,
wipperman

P.S. If I were to guess, that Seat doing such a clean run is driven by a local at the rental company, not by a customer, fiy, one more reason to be pleased with your run

Ha ha nothing escapes you my friend!
Thank you for your comment!
Regarding the steering corrections, I just don't feel the car as well as I feel the Golf. So i do a lot of corrections in order to find the limit. I'm not sure if it's me, if I will get used with the car or if it's the electrical steering that will never improve the feeling / feedback.

It was a real pleasure meeting with you again and hopefully we can do it again next year!

Best colour for a Porsche  :happy2:    I was never a big fan of the original Cayman but yours looks great.

Your English is superb.  Are you an English person living in Romania, or are you Romanian with excellent English?  :smiley:

Yes, it looks good in black, but black is such a "high maintenance" color... I washed both the Golf and the Porsche last weekend and the swirl marks are much more visible on the black paint as opposed to the red paint.
I would have liked the karmine red color better for the Porsche but since I didn't buy it new, I didn't have a choice. But I guess I like the fact that it's a "Black Edition" and it's not very common.

About my English skills, thank you! I am Romanian, living in Romania  :smiley:. Actually never been to the UK before this year but I had the chance to learn English from a young age (there were some periods at school we had more English courses/lessons than Romanian ones, so theoretical I should be better at English than at Romanian  :drinking: ).

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 01:59:46 pm »
Winter is here, so WINTER MODE ON  :smiley:.

First up, tires:

Really big difference in offset between the 2 wheels...

And then the interior floor mats, cloth for summer and rubber for winter:

Next up:
- spacers for the summer wheels
- change the front blinker to a LED one
- brakes

Thanks for watching!  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:12:42 pm by rex »

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 06:01:34 pm »
It looks so good on these wheels, love it.  :laugh:
For sure they would be great in anthracite but unfortunately not with the silver lip.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 01:02:24 am »
The car looks good with those wheels too. :happy2:

I like them silver! Very good looking rubber mats. :surprised:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 03:41:55 pm »
It looks so good on these wheels, love it.  :laugh:
For sure they would be great in anthracite but unfortunately not with the silver lip.

Exactly my view as well.

The car looks good with those wheels too. :happy2:

I like them silver! Very good looking rubber mats. :surprised:

Thanks!

:drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 04:24:01 pm »
A short update with small things that happened this weekend.

Finally got to use the Nurburgring sticker:

As some of you might know, once a car has been on the Nurburgring Nordscheilfe it is worthy of the sticker  :happy2:.
The stickers that could be bought are all for the outside of the car, and can easily be damaged during time. So I have made my own stickers and sicked them from inside.

And speaking of the last years Nurburging trip, there is something else I've been wanting to do...
During the ISOFIX install (at the Porsche Dealer in Stuttgart), the mechanic managed to scratch the interior trim:

I've immediately notified them of the issues and it only took them 7 months to send me the new piece... At first they said it was not their mistake, then they stopped answering my emails but I didn't give up - it wasn't an expensive piece but it was about the message.

Since the nearest Porsche dealer is about 4 hours away I asked my AUDI/VW dealer (in town) to swap the trims but they said they don't know how  :smiley:
So I did it myself...
If some of you might want to have the 991/981/982 (718) cup holder trim replaced, there is a trick that will help you take it out really easy.
As you can see from the removed part, there are 2 holes that prevent the trim from being removed (red circles).

But, if you stick about 4-5 old credit cards / shopping cards / etc, the piece that is holding the trim will be pushed up and the trim will easily come out (you just have to pull it with not much force). Slowly but shortly I am doing more and more things on my own  :smiley:

And one more thing... My wife is expecting a baby so I will put to good use the ISOFIX I have on the passenger seat:

Next up - I am thinking of some spacers, some brake cooling and bigger brakes. Stay tuned!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 11:04:35 pm »
Next up - I am thinking of some spacers, some brake cooling and bigger brakes. Stay tuned!

Well, not quite...
Until then, the cheapest mod available for the 981 Cayman: changed the bumper side blinkers to 718/991 LED ones (the original ones are not LED):

Thanks for watching!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 08:17:47 pm »
These just arrived:

Among other smaller bits they contain:

982/718 S or GTS calipers Front & Rear (even if the rear ones are just like mine, but painted Red, I preferred to buy new ones instead of painting the old ones)

330 x 34 discs

7 mm hubcentric spacers with the necessary bolts (not pictured)

Front & rear brake vents - 981 CS/BS (the fronts are different to the Base model and the ones in the back don't exist on the Base model)

I also ordered HEL brake lines that have not yet arrived.
I don't intend to do serious tracking with the Porsche (I have the Golf for that) but if I take the Cayman to the track I expect these brakes to last more than the Stock ones.

Next up, installing all the parts.
Thanks for watching!  :drinking:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 02:37:42 am »
Oh, great goodies there! Always a pleasure following your work!  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 09:10:29 am »
Thanks buddy!  :notworthy:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2019, 08:22:00 pm »
These just arrived:

So I will be mounting the new brakes in the following week (hopefully).
That's not in time for the next trackday, but that's fine since I was planning to stretch the VW's legs anyway.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »
So... As promised, the brake job is done and here is what exactly happened, with pictures of before and after.

What did I exactly do?
Well, I changed the following:

- 981 Cayman Front Calipers with 718 (982) Cayman S/GTS Calipers. These are the same ones as used on the 911 991.2 Carrera, just painted red.

- 981 Cayman Rear Calipers with 981 S/GTS or 718 S/GTS Calipers. Basically the same as the original ones but I wanted to have all the calipers in one color...

- 981 Cayman Rotors 315 x 28 with 330 x 34 Rotors from the 718 (982) Cayman S/GTS or 911 991.2 Carrera

- Changed the front brake cooling spoilers from to 981 Cayman S/GTS ones. The new ones direct the airflow to the brake rotors.

- Added rear brake cooling spoilers from the 981 Cayman S/GTS or 718 Base/S/GTS. Especially because I have the PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) which is using the rear brakes as well, I thought these are needed.

- HEL brake lines front & rear

- 7mm hubcentric spacers front & rear (photos' after)

So, how does that feel?
Easy answer, worse than before - because I have to bed in the brakes  :P . After that I expect these brakes to better handle the occasional track days I have with the car. If I end up tracking the car regularly, this setup is a great starting point - I only have to change the rotors, the pads and the brake fluid and I am ready for some serious trackdays.
But, one thing that I immediately noticed, the car looks much better with the larger brakes and with the red calipers   :pomppomp:

Next up, the Porsche Experience Day I took part in yesterday. Stay tuned  :drinking:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2019, 12:49:08 am »
Brakes look awesome! :drinking:

Your wheels are huge. :laugh:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:34 am »
Thanks buddy!
Yes, 20 inches and favorite wheels for the 981 Cayman... When ordering the car I thought they will be a nightmare especially on the roads I use, but the Porsche with its 20 inch wheels is more comfortable than the golf with its 16 inch winter wheels. So, no complaints over there... I just have to be really careful for large potholes.

And on a different subject, I was telling you about the Porsche Experience event I took part in last week. Even if it is not directly connected to the Cayman, I think it plays a part in what will happen with the Cayman later on, so here it goes...
Porsche Romania invited me to take part in this event where, for approx 3 hours you get to experience all the models in the current Porsche range: 718, 911, Macan, Cayenne, Panamera. The had 2 of each (with different engines and specs) and, along with another person, I would drive each of the 5 models but only with one engine (and passenger in the other one). As the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera are of absolutely no interest to me, I will only detail my experiences with the 718 and 911 (992).

The 911 first... This was to be one of my mistakes, I got to drive the 992 S (RWD) first. After this, all the other models in the range were not even close as exciting. Anyway, I have to say the 911 impressed me a lot. So much so, that I have decided that my next Porsche will be a 911. I was having thoughts about the 718 GT4 (to be released later this year) but not any more. The way the car pulls and the way it handles really convinced me to look no further than the 911. The only thing I didn't like was the sound the turbocharged 3.0 makes in the 911 (even with sport exhaust). So, if all goes well, I plan to keep the Cayman because of its great sounding engine and because of the manual gearbox and get an automatic 911 as well in 3-4 years time.

A few photos of the 911:

And I also wanted to share with you my drives in the 718 - they had a 718 Boxster GTS and a 718 Cayman T. This is quite funny because, before buying the current Cayman, I was in discussions with the Porsche Dealer for 2 configurations really close to what they offered now at the event. Back then, I settled for the GTS but because the Dealer was not at all professional when discussion about the financing - making one deal and then not respecting it - I went with the current car.
After driving the Cayman T and being a passenger in the GTS, I am really glad I did not buy the newer 718 generation! The 718's have a nicer steering wheel, navigation system and seats while my car has the 6 Cylinder Engine and a Manual Gearbox. And what a difference those make! I use the car 95% in the city with a 6 mile commute - so I appreciate the NA engine and gearbox much more.
BTW, the Porsche Dealer said that you CAN'T order ANY Porsche models with a manual gearbox in Romania because of the new emission testings which are not yet complete.

A few photos of the Cayman T:

So, what's next for my Cayman?
Well, I plan to drive and enjoy it: in the city, on weekend runs or at the track.
Regarding future mods, I have a few in mind, but none are a must right now:
- the steering wheel (718 Sport with controls)
- I hate the DLR (Daylight Running Lights), especially how rounded they are. So I am thinking of a GTS front bumper - I'll give this some more thought.
- the memory module - to remember the state of the buttons in the center console after the car is switched of (like Start/Stop which I always have to deactivate after starting the engine).
- maybe the X73 front & rear sway bars (these are the ones that come with the cars that have a Sport Chassis)- the car is so good as a daily driver that I don't really want to ruin it - I'll give this some more thought also.
- sport bucket seats after I will no longer need the ISOFIX - so a few years from now.

:drinking:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:20:47 am by rex »