Make a donation

Author Topic: Back to stock suspension - what an oops!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Back to stock suspension - what an oops!
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:41:53 am »
I have pretended to myself that I haven't really carried out any mods to my Mk5 gti - well apart from a stage 1, turbo back sports exhaust and lowering springs that is!!

I recently had the car serviced which revealed I needed to replace two of the springs and one damper was beginning to leak.  Now as a man of advancing years I thought this was an opportunity to return the suspension fully to stock (VW parts).  What a mistake!

First I thought the stance of the car, riding higher, was "ugly".  The monzas used to fill the arch.  The new gap reminded me more of a 4x4 than a performance car.  Secondly I was wrong to think the standard suspension would be more comfortable.  It wasn't and worse, I hated the feel of the car which felt strangely "spongey".

As a result I have had H&R  sport springs added to replace the stock, which has dropped the car about 30mm.  Looks and rides much (much) better. The old grip is back and the sponginess has given way to response.  I decided that I would live with the standard dampers, but only expect they will last about 10K, if that.

Now here's my question (and I know there are loads of threads on here about lowering, which, before anyone shouts at me, I have read) but I am considering replacing the dampers with Blisten B8s.  I guess, but don't know, they will raise the height a little as they will not be a "soft" as the stock dampers, but are they a good match to the H&R springs, and will they stiffen the ride further?  I do notice on some surfaces, there is a slight soft bounce which I guess results from the stock dampers.

I really can't pretend I am not into mods, can I!

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Back to stock suspension - what an oops!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:12:02 am »
Dampers don't affect the ride height, just the handling and comfort. You can either fit Bilsteins B8 or Koni Sport dampers. Both match well the H&R springs.

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:48 am »
Good to Know.  Thanks

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:42:51 pm »
you already have the springs but if not the biilstein B12 kit would have been great and as you say rides better than stock suspension
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:02:07 am »
The harshness and noise comes from the MK5s move to smaller, firmer durometer rubber bushes and significantly firmer top mounts, compared to MK4.  That is the price for improved handling unfortunately.

The good news is you can lower and uprate without increasing the original harshness, so most uprated dampers and springs only improve matters  :happy2:
B8s are good.  B12 is just a B6 or B8 with a spring kit  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:45:09 am »
Thanks Pudding.  Pleased to know my preferred choice of dampers  work well with the H&R springs.  Personally I much prefer the "harshness" of the ride with the lowering springs.  The resulting handling is, in my view, superior to stock, which I would anticipate to be improved (even if only marginally) by the B8s