Make a donation

Author Topic: Warning  (Read 1268 times)

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Warning
« on: August 09, 2020, 09:23:57 pm »
Evening all,

Just returned from an epic west coast of Scotland run and car went faultlessly fully fully loaded. On the return leg I started getting the recent seat belt chime which happens but I just ignore however this time after the sea belt chime the low pressure engine oil warning came on and I switched the car straight off. As I was on a dangerous stretch of road with the family I decided to start it and was going to move it off the road. No warning chime and car was fine. Kept gingerly driving and 5 miles later same sequence, seatbelt then oil pressure. Switched it off and restarted with no return chimes until I made it home 100 miles later when same sequence started again. They both kept going off but I never stopped the car, 2 x chimes then off for a while!
 This car has had the oil pick up pipe cleaned and oil was recently changed but this sounds more electrical/sensor. Anyone help?

Thanks

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Warning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:39:57 am »
Can you get the fault codes read and see what comes from that? Have you had the under trays off and checked for obvious leaks? (I'm figuring oil level is ok?)
Strange for the two to be linked but I don't think I've seen that in any topic as a common sequence of faults.

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:43:56 pm »
Hi Chigmuss thanks for the reply. Scanned the car for codes today and only thing that really came up was 00003 - Control Module 014 defective. Only other thing to mention is that the mileage dissapears on the cluster after driving for a couple of hours or so then after that you can expect the seabelt chime. Have been driving it for the past couple of days and gave it a good spirited drive last night with no warning chimes of any sort...

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 03:36:33 pm »
So just as an update was driving last night and the warning came back on and then even when stopped and restarted came back om again over 2000rpm so am taking the sump off tonight. I guess if the strainer is clean i am looking at the oil pump drive? Only other thing to mention is that when i recently oput in a new oil filter i heard a scraping/plastic flexing sound as the filter turned in the holder, i wonder if it has broken up.......? All will be revealed tonight

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 04:21:24 pm »
Theplastic parts on thhe housing and filter are quite  think I would check it first

Offline Thatredgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:58:51 pm »
I’ve had the same thing on my car, low oil pressure warning light, changed the pick up pipe, inspected the oil pump and balance shaft, fitted brand new oil pressure sensor and switch and still gave me a low pressure warning after 2k rpm, I blew a turbo shortly after discovering this, I hope it’s not the same for you lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 08:54:48 pm »
Strainer blocked with heaps of carbon. All back together again and running, will test tomorrow but looks like the culprit. From Looking at diagrams online the oil pump and chains seem to have a black platstic cover, mine doesn’t is that a problem? Looks flimsy online
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:42:44 am by roryscott30 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 05:50:55 pm »
Yes it is very flimsy and often falls off.

Part 9 - applicable to AXX, BWA and BYD so yours should have it.  Whoever was in there before you obviously removed it.  Probably because it fell off, like mine has.
I don't know what it's purpose is to be honest but VW call it a 'protective plate'.  Protection from what exactly?  Radiation fall out? Harsh language? Sexually transmitted diseases?  Who knows!

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/GOLF/year/2007/drive_standart/474/hg_ug/115/subcategory/115015/part_id/3687845/lang/e

I'll be going in there soon to replace the chain, tensioner, sprocket, pickup and cambelt etc.  I will be gluing that 'protective plate' on with either urethane glue or sump sealer.  I'll be doing a DIY guide as it's a big job and often overlooked as a source of noises and oil pressure problems.

Cost, just in parts, to replace everything down there (except the pump/balancer itself) inc chain, tensioner, cambelt, pullies, sprocket, that cover, crank seal, water pump etc etc is £650  :doh:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:54:34 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D