Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI potential purchase - some issues  (Read 1557 times)

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
MK5 GTI potential purchase - some issues
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:14:02 am »
Hi guys, new here and first post. Hopefully this is the right place.

I’m maybe going to view a manual GTI soon. It has about 140k on the clock with full service history (mainly VW).

Last MOT shows that the “supplementary restraint system warning lamp indicated a fault” (which failed MOT), owner says issue has been resolved and said I can call garage and confirm, doesn’t have receipts. Owner said light could appear because of some glitch in system or when something gets disconnected. Is this anything to worry about? Said light isn't showing on dash anymore.

Also last 2 years MOT shows the following as an advisory: “Nearside front outer drive shaft joint constant velocity boot severely Deteriorated”. Is this a major issue? How much am I looking at for repairs?

Any help would be appreciated and if you could tell me other things to look out for. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:15:42 am by H4MXU »

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
MK5 GTI potential purchase - some issues
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:16:22 pm »
Sounds a little fishy to me, but I’m not an expert. It’s also sounds like his a little lazy getting things sorted. Best get the car checked out before buying, as you never know what’s hiding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: MK5 GTI potential purchase - some issues
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:59:55 am »
The CV boot issue is common and quite easy, albeit messy. to replace. @£20 parts and maybe £100 labour.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: MK5 GTI potential purchase - some issues
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 11:09:27 am »
He was probably messing about with the radio and removed the upper vent panel, which has an colostomy bag warning light in it.   If there was a persistent bag issue, the light would keep coming back, so if it's not on, don't worry about it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D