Make a donation

Author Topic: 25k first service  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
25k first service
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:33 pm »
Found a car im interested in but not sure about service history

It's a golf mk6 r on a 12reg with 44k in clock and completely standard

1st service at 24500k main dealer
2nd service at 35k none main dealer
3rd service at 43k none main dealer

Would the first service after covering almost 25k put you off? Trouble down the line or am I just over thinking it? Guessing it'll of been on long life oil but still seems high

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: 25k first service
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:04 pm »
Personally that would put me off but I guess it depends on how long you expect to keep it. To keep the same oil for that length of time on a high performance car shouldn't be right.  :stupid:

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:20:15 am »
That’s not ideal (I do mine every 3k miles since new) however if it is in line with VW recommendations then I guess you should be ok wrt reliability and resale given its low mileage.

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »
User on here called something like Teutonic Tamer had commented on a Millers Oil thread few months ago, what he didn't know about oils didn't seem worth knowing. Might be idea to PM him. Do you know how long (time wise) it took to rack up the mileage to first service? If it was a rep car doing hundreds of miles per day (engine warm cruising in higher gears) then maybe that's not as damaging to an engine, and thus a long life schedule allows such big miles before the oil is 'going off'? My stab at how that might have been the case...

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »
Is it possible that the car started off on long life servicing? Perhaps after the first service the owner had it changed to time/interval servicing?

@chris92 If you know the reg, you could call VW customer services and and them if the service @24k miles was a long life service.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 11:53:44 am »
It's quite possible the dealer didn't stamp the first service if it came with a 'free first service' package, which isn't uncommon on new car deals.

So the 25K one is likely the second service in reality. 

Or, as mentioned already, if it was on long life and the car didn't do a lot of short journeys, it's possible the oil quality sensor in the sump didn't deem it necessary to be changed until 25K.  As much as it goes against the grain of car enthusiasts and common sense, long life oil is actually designed to be just that  :happy2:

Either way, I wouldn't let it put me off personally if the car is in good shape and a good price.  It's just an engine and should be treated as a consumable.  The main structure and interior are the important bits.

At 6 years old, it also due a cambelt/water pump, so factor that into the haggling.  It's a £549 job at VW.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:55:34 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
it wouldn't put me off, would raise an eyebrow yes.. but factory oil is the long life stuff which they reckon is good for 20k anyway.. so only a few over.

I got a guy at work who had run the same oil in his car for over 4 years without changing it hahaha. still runs fine now lol.

I wouldn't let it put you off if the cars right etc. :happy2:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:01:41 pm »
thanks for the replys, decided to just leave it. I know I'm going to have to compromise on something as there just doesn't seem to be the perfect 6r out there for me but id rather one without such a gap in the servicing. Been looking for 8 month ish   :sick: but il find one...maybes..one day  :fighting: took me 6 month to find my old 6r which I sold as wasn't happy with that, just got sick of looking then so bought it so this time I need to be super sure it's the right car for me this time

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »
Lol, people get so hung up on stamps in a book.   Get a cheap smartphone camera on a rope, poke it through the gaps under the oil cap.  If the head casting is bright metal, that's all you need to know.  Stamps mean feck all.

Sounds like you should buy a brand new 7R.  Being the first owner is the only way to satisfy your pickiness  :smiley:

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
25k first service
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:14 am »
Lol, people get so hung up on stamps in a book.   Get a cheap smartphone camera on a rope, poke it through the gaps under the oil cap.  If the head casting is bright metal, that's all you need to know.  Stamps mean feck all.

Sounds like you should buy a brand new 7R.  Being the first owner is the only way to satisfy your pickiness  :smiley:

To you that maybe the case, but I wouldnt buy a newish car with no stamps.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:28:50 am by Dogma »
MK5 ED30

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:38:30 pm »

So hung up on a stamp? Its the 25k without a oil change that put me off, along being the wrong colour. I said I'm willing to compromise on something but not when it comes to service history. Not bothered about it having been to the dealers every time but I want to know when it's been serviced. Id of happily compromised on colour if the history was better.

Not really being picky when it comes to the mk6 r is it, it's because they rare to start with(800ish) so your already up against finding the right car. All i want is rising blue, 3 door, tidy body, leather , good history, no write off's, 70k miles max, no 10000 previous owner cars,  none modified and manual. Hardly being ott picky or unrealistic, just a waiting game
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:43:14 pm by Chris92 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 04:39:17 pm »
You ARE hung up on stamps and picky because you've rejected what sounds like a good car just because the first service wasn't logged in the book.  If that isn't picky, I don't know what it is.  Why not contact Volkswizard and ask him to find you one?  He is ultra picky and only sells top rung cars.....at a price.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »
You ARE hung up on stamps and picky because you've rejected what sounds like a good car just because the first service wasn't logged in the book.  If that isn't picky, I don't know what it is.  Why not contact Volkswizard and ask him to find you one?  He is ultra picky and only sells top rung cars.....at a price.

First service was at 25k, rang vw and what's in the service book lines up with what they told me. No other records on their system apart from the one service at 25k. Don't know why your jumping to conclusions that it's had a service but just not stamped Like I said this car wasn't the colour of choice either but id of took it without the huge gap with the first service. But the history isnt there and it's the wrong colour so i left it. My money my choices, end of