Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Gti purchase  (Read 1262 times)

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
Mk5 Gti purchase
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
Hope it’s okay to ask this here. Looking to purchase a GTI soon which I’ve seen. Problem is owner has lost V5 therefore I know I’ll have to apply for a new one which can take up to 6 weeks.

I’m okay with that but my main problem is that road tax ran out 1 November 2018. Car is in West Yorkshire and I live in London. I’ve already had a mate go and check out the car for me. Waiting to settle on a price with owner.

I’ve been reading in some places that if I take the V62 form into a post office with the fee they can tax it for me. Has anyone had this done?

What are my options? Is there any way to tax it as new keeper without V5?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Mk5 Gti purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:09:24 pm »
Maybe I'm too cynical but I'd be wary of someone who puts their car up for sale without checking they've got all the paperwork to go with it first.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:13:17 am »
Sounds dodgy....why hasn't the current owner just applied for a replacement before putting it up for sale? Ify....

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:11:28 am »
Sounds dodgy....why hasn't the current owner just applied for a replacement before putting it up for sale? Ify....
He’s a trader and has all the rest of the paper work. Service history, receipts, done all checks on car. HPI clear and doesn’t come up as stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:29:20 pm »
They're saving themselves the ludicrous £25 the DVLA want to issue another :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
Probably  :grin:

It is bad though that a trader especially hasn't got his sh1t together before selling the car.  It's like selling a house knowing the deeds have been lost. 

You certainly used to be able to get tax without a V5 by going into the post office with the tax application form, but not sure if it's still the case with everything being online these days.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D