Make a donation

Author Topic: Coming back to VW  (Read 1637 times)

Offline bbewekim

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Coming back to VW
« on: December 12, 2018, 12:22:24 pm »
Hey guys, after moving to other German cars for the past few years (going to miss RWD) I am looking to own a third mk5 golf but my first mk5 gti. Going for a 5 door dsg.

I’ve looked online and all the forums for common issues with the gti and the most common is the cam follower issue from what I can see?

I’m struggling to find one with xenon headlights and good interior spec for the price I’m looking to spend which is a shame.

The RNS head units still expensive?

Just looking to get back involved with VW and make use of my vcds cable

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Coming back to VW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »
I've bought some xenons i'll retrofit into mine so don't let that put you off, just factor that cost in when looking at cars.

There are full interiors on ebay and you could always fit a mk6 interior.

hopefully those two options opens the range of possible cars up a bit.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »
Maybe you can get a good Edition 30 DSG, BYD motor is different animal (stronger pistons pins and new rings, reinforced connecting rods, new bearings, reinforced cylinder block at the main-bearing pedestals and cap, new, lightweight aluminium-silicon alloy cylinder head for high temperature resistance and strength, adjusted exhaust camshaft timing, increased cross-section high-pressure injectors, 1.2 bar boost pressure turbocharger with larger turbine and compression rotor).

Think it's worth more than RNS, Xenon, etc, but you can get an Edition that has them all...for sure you'll not miss RWD then :laugh:

Offline bbewekim

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Ha, given I need a modified insurance policy to keep costs down I’m not sure I can afford an ed30. Who knew 30 years old with over 10 years ncb would pay teenager money on a golf insurance wise.

I’ve put a deposit down on a 55 plate gti with most extras I was looking for including highline dash, heated seats. Only thing missing is the tartan interior as it has leather.

My old facelift mk5 light tints in the rear windows. Made such a difference so that might be first port of call. Then the usual mods... I hear removing the precat is the thing to do?

I wonder how the gti will fair against the c350 estate we have. I had a hire car mk6 gti and loved it, never felt the same when I tried the mk5 gti, ended up with the pd140...

Offline bbewekim

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:02:50 pm »
Here is the car I am looking at

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 06:25:07 am »
This one looks really maintained.
I’d say that if you will modify the exhaust, get a full one, there are plenty used around, I mean 3” downpipe, sport cat or decat, catback.

Offline bbewekim

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:29:14 am »
Thanks teo

I would just need to be mindful that I will use the car daily for business miles so wouldn’t want anything other than subtle unless hammering the throttle. Only exhaust I’ve seen do this would be miltek? Most others just create a drone

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:49:38 am »
Yep Milltek resonated seems to be pretty discreet. :happy2:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 10:05:59 am »
My cat back Miiltek is no louder than stock

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 12:13:35 pm »
Thanks teo

I would just need to be mindful that I will use the car daily for business miles so wouldn’t want anything other than subtle unless hammering the throttle. Only exhaust I’ve seen do this would be miltek? Most others just create a drone

Check BCS Powervalve exhausts. No drone and quieter than stock when pottering around. Plenty of noise when hammering the gas pedal. :smiley: You should be able to get a discount by being a member of this forum too. Better quality than Milltek, stated by many on here and on Facebook pages. :wink:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 12:31:42 pm »
Right, I see only one problem with BCS, they are too good to easily find a used system.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:46:28 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 10:20:36 am »
Ha, given I need a modified insurance policy to keep costs down I’m not sure I can afford an ed30. Who knew 30 years old with over 10 years ncb would pay teenager money on a golf insurance wise.

Insurance used to be: 17 = Absolutely bent over.  21 = Came down a bit.  25 = Came down a lot.  30 = You're officially an old git, take a huge discount.  Add your missus and comes down even more.

These days it's all about post codes and other regional high risk statistics.  35 is now the age where it comes down appreciably, if you live in a low crime post code.  Even adding a female partner doesn't lower the premium half as much as it used to.

Anyway, looks like a tidy example.  Enjoy!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D