Make a donation

Author Topic: No more 3door Golf Rs...WTF?  (Read 9458 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
No more 3door Golf Rs...WTF?
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:54:20 pm »
Ive been reading into this and I am genuinly gutted. The plan was to hold off till 2020 for the new mk8 Golf R but im now reading VW will no longer make them in a 3 door WTF....thats gutting.

I know its down to everyone and their dog buying a 5 door but honestly thats crap if they go down that route 3 door golfs have always looked better no question.....and I know some folk on here will get upset by that and I apologise but cmon be real if you actaully think the 5 door small hatchback looks as good as a 3 door your deluding yourself. And yes 5 doors are more practical....but thats it.

The mk7.5 is a close contender for not looking as bad in a 5 door granted but sit one next to a matching 3 door and there is no question what looks better.

I would only ever have a 5 door if it was a saloon or estate as thats what they are made for ie RS3 saloon or RS4 etc...or RS6 estate etc but thats a different type of car. The RS3 hatchback is a casing point...looks sh*t just goes fast. However the saloon does look good.

Bit of a rant I know lol and I do apologise to everyone with a 5 door golf but lets be honest here. Fair one VW doing away with manual if they want thats just technology advancing but to not even have a 3 door option is crap....I bet they will still do the GTI in 3 door.

Sorry for the daft rant troops just a bit gutted lol.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:59:44 pm by csrigo »

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: No more 3door Golf Rs...WTF?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:28:11 pm »
Surely not.

5 doors is too many doors. 3 doors 4 life y'all

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
Surely not.

5 doors is too many doors. 3 doors 4 life y'all

Apparently so brother :signLOL: crap eh...hopefully not though. Nice car mate

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:35 pm »
If you get a black one, the shut lines won't be as obvious  :happy2: 

Consumers being denied headphone jacks in their phones and a choice of door count is just the start of it mate.  In 10 years, there won't be cars anymore.  The only choice will be an electric SUV.

If it comes to that, trust me, I will get the biggest f'ck off great SUV money can buy, and put a suspension lift kit on it so that all the twats who buy them now, because they want to sit up high and follow trends like lemmings, can't see past me  :grin:   If you can't beat them, join them, but at the same time get one over on the morons  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:18:16 am »
It won't be just the R. Golfs, Leons, A3 won't have 3 doors versions. It has already happened to Seat Ibizas and Leons.  :doh:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:40:32 pm »
I don't think the Leon has ever had 3 doors!  My mate had a Cupra R way back in 2001ish and there wasn't a 3 door option even back then.

VW are actually one of the last car makers to ditch 3 doors in all fairness.  It's all about profit now and they will only make what sells.  It's why GM, Ford and other car makers have removed a number of cars from their catalogue.  The market is shifting to SUVs and those stupid crossover things like the Gashqai, Puke and Mini Countryman, ffs  :doh:

Screw the minority and choice.  The unimaginative sheep always win.

Even bloody Rolls Royce and Lamborghini are making stupid SUVs now.  Jesus wept, we're all doomed.

Offline Golf5 GT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:48:29 pm »
I’m more for the 5drs when it comes to the Golfs but they could always make a small amount of 3drs and label them as “limited editions” and then sell them at a silly price 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Would you 3dr fans settle for that? Lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
Yeah they might well do that.

The MK7 has the same side profile / glass lines in both 3 and 5 door versions, so 5 door barely looks any different.  But with the MK5 though, the side profile is completely different between 3 and 5 door, hence why I've never liked 5 door MK5s!

Get more bass from 3 doors.....bigger speaker cabinet  :happy2:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »
The slim margins in car manufacturing (unless your name is Ferrari) mean that VW need to focus on whatever will sell in meaningful quantities.

www.dw.com/en/big-carmakers-big-profits/a-19480709

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »
Yep.  Way cheaper to make 1 door size and 1 body shell.  It's been heading this way for years with VW/Audi's incestuous product line.  Modular construction to produce plain vanilla cars at the lowest cost to them, but to be specced up with numerous chocolate sprinkles by the end consumers by way of tacky exterior and interior options - at, obviously, the biggest profit margins to VW.

Can't knock it as a business model, but it certainly takes the joy out of shopping.  Golf, Yeti, Tiguan, A3, etc.....all the same bloody thing.  Gone are the days when VW took pride in their creations like the Corrado, G60, Golf Limited, Rallye, Scirocco Pikes peak etc etc.  It's all generic, bland, dime a dozen bollocks now.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:22:54 pm by Pudding »

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:17 pm »
  Gone are the days when VW took pride in their creations like the Corrado, G60, Golf Limited, Rallye, Scirocco Pikes peak etc etc.  It's all generic, bland, dime a dozen bollocks now.

I agree......., the Corrado still looks a fantastic car, way ahead of its time. Mk 1 Scirrocco was really nice little car too......interestingly both were 3 door only, if I remember correctly..... 3  door definitely looks better, but today's peeps seem to want more practicality....two doors less too, for those annoying passengers who insist on slamming the flipping doors - why do people do that? I just don't get it......... grrrr!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
I don't think the Leon has ever had 3 doors!  My mate had a Cupra R way back in 2001ish and there wasn't a 3 door option even back then.

VW are actually one of the last car makers to ditch 3 doors in all fairness.  It's all about profit now and they will only make what sells.  It's why GM, Ford and other car makers have removed a number of cars from their catalogue.  The market is shifting to SUVs and those stupid crossover things like the Gashqai, Puke and Mini Countryman, ffs  :doh:

Screw the minority and choice.  The unimaginative sheep always win.

Even bloody Rolls Royce and Lamborghini are making stupid SUVs now.  Jesus wept, we're all doomed.

You could get until recently a 3 doors Leon, it was called SC (Sport Coupe). It ended production with the Cupra 290. I have a friend which owns one with the Performance pack. The Cupra 300 only has a 5 door version and due to emissions limitations it will be downgraded to 290 next year.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:59:37 pm »
  Gone are the days when VW took pride in their creations like the Corrado, G60, Golf Limited, Rallye, Scirocco Pikes peak etc etc.  It's all generic, bland, dime a dozen bollocks now.

I agree......., the Corrado still looks a fantastic car, way ahead of its time. Mk 1 Scirrocco was really nice little car too......interestingly both were 3 door only, if I remember correctly..... 3  door definitely looks better, but today's peeps seem to want more practicality....two doors less too, for those annoying passengers who insist on slamming the flipping doors - why do people do that? I just don't get it......... grrrr!

Absolutely the Corrado and Scirocco were 3 door only!  Even VW knew they would look rubbish in 5 door!

I really miss my old VWs.  The Corrado especially.  A few pics of that below, and other 3 door retro delights I've owned  :smiley:  None of them would look any good in 5 door!

The MK5 is the newest VW I will ever own.  It's still retro handsome and basic enough for DIY maintenance.  I have zero interest in the current stuff, meh!

Self built and mapped 500hp VR6 Turbo goodness...

God bored of that and installed and mapped a MK5 R32 engine with a standalone ECU...

Lovely, lovely car to drive, but underpowered.  Again, this is a car VW made an effort with, never to be seen again  :ashamed:

My old little pocket rocket MK2 16V Turbo, such an epic machine  :smiley:

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
Whoa! Pudding, the Rado looks great, sweet engine swaps, were you on the VR OC? That and some of the older forums like Mk2VR6 Ed38 etc are just dying off, so few posts made on them anymore. Sad really, and why I still drop in on here every couple of days to try to contribute where possible. I see a resurgence, one day, in older forums once the move to electric really bites and all the die hard petrol heads are left paying £15 / gallon for super unleaded. One upside is R32 motors are getting more attainable, my Mk2 is still languishing 'heartless' in my garage but I can't bring myself to get rid of it now.
Oh, and on topic....yeah, sad to see the demise of 3 doors, maybe a suicide rear-door on a 5 door could bring back a cool factor (think the Mazda RX7 had them?)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »
@Pudding great looking rado there btw :congrats:...that Azevs? I rocked Azevs on two of my rados....same alloys transfered over tho lol. I like how you crammed the R32 in...how did it handle? Rados still look the part with the right wheels and decent paint.

Your wee Mk2 also looked epic mate very very nice....as ive said i wld still have one today for a summer car.

I need to find one of my old laptops for some pics....and an old sony erikson phone I had from my early 20s lol I know i have some grainy pics on that :signLOL:

Yeah just a bit of a rant from me much of the same opinion as pudding certain cars should only ever be 3 door and yeah the mk7 is a close contender for looking so so in a 5 door. Mk5s in 5 door look terrible imho as you pointed out the lines of the car dont suit it.

After a bit more research they may do the clubsport in a 3door which wld make sense and may tie in with @Golf5 GT s idea....if they did that they wld sell out rapid and be crazy money. But i would happily spend the extra dollar on a 3 door especially if its becoming a limited edition.

Yeah I blame the torrent of 5 door golf R owners and the god damn Leasing schemes now every fud that can get credit owns owns one...so common. Im thinking about getting an edition40 now in a DSG tbh especially if VW are going down this route. They may do the GTI in a 3 door according to some sites...and I do like the fact our eddies at stage2+ blow most mapped golf Rs out the water when on the move so cld be the same scenario :popcornsoda: