Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch noise in the Pirelli  (Read 6134 times)

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
Clutch noise in the Pirelli
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:12:49 pm »
Guys

Headed into town today for some xmas shopping, and whilst changing gear I felt vibration through the couch pedal which has never happened!
turned off the radio to be greeted with an awful knocking noise, sounded more like my missus Eos!

The noise goes away once the clutch is depressed, some I'm thinking thrust bearing/DMF issue?
The car has run fine for the past 6 months after having the remap done, and was hoping the slipping would start before the flywheel shat its self!

The car is running around 300bhp and 340 lb ft so...

what clutch do I go for? uprated OEM?

Unsure if I will pursue more power in the future but you never know.
Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Clutch noise in the Pirelli
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:48:02 pm »
DMF mate.  Mine is also fooked and on the to-do list.

New OEM DMF plus TTRS pressure plate + stock friction disc  :happy2:

I would urge you NOT to get an aftermarket clutch from Helix or Sachs.  They're frickin awful in every day driving, not to mention the extra strain they put on the clutch master/slave cylinders.

Don't be tempted with a single mass conversion either. Again, terrible pieces of junk.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:08:01 pm »
Thanks pudding, value your opinion

Was never gonna go single mass, and have heard indifference about uprated clutches, is it still safe to drive?

I do next to no miles and will sort ASAP but if I need to collect the kids will it be safe
Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:28 pm »
It's still safe, no worries there.  It's just that with the Helix, the bite is right at the bottom of the pedal travel, so crawling along in traffic is a bit of a chore.  Not to mention at least twice as heavy as a stock clutch, so your left leg will get a good work out!  If it's a low use car, then the Helix will be fine.  It's smooth and judder free, just heavy and awkward bite position.  I would use a slave cylinder spacer though, and braided clutch line which will improve the pedal feel.  AKS sell both :happy2:

You could go with a new stock clutch for the best pedal feel but it may not last that long with your torque levels.  Word on the street is the TTRS pressure plate is the best compromise for pedal feel and torque handling.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 08:00:16 pm »
Thanks again, just want best value for money and reliability.
I’ve done about 12k in the 6 years I’ve owned it, so mileage is low, but I do like the standard feel of the clutch and bite position.
Gutted it’s gone... what would you choose...
Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:18:05 pm »
Best VFM would be standard parts.  If you don't beat on the engine regularly it should hold up.  You just have to consider the limited lifespan because your engine is +100lbft over standard!  I reckon it will be fine to about 40-50K and then once half worn, it will quickly start slipping.

If that's no good, then definitely the TTRS pressure plate/standard friction plate combo  :happy2:

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:38:17 pm »
TTRS I feel is the way forward if it all fits up, will discuss with my garage to taking this route, thanks for ya time buddy  :happy2:
Pirelli GTI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 06:26:44 am »
@gixerben - if you do a little googling on ttrs clutch + mkv gti, you will quickly uncover that it is the basis of the RSR clutch kit. Think they also use the TDi organic friction plate since the TTRS uses a different spline.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
Thanks, I did have a quick search, I take it the plate needs drilling of the dowels to allow fitment?

I take it you have to purchase the TTRS clutch kit and not use the friction plate?

And retain a new standard DMF? Luk?
Pirelli GTI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 10:35:55 am »
That’s my understanding Ben, a little drilling / usual LUK DMF. I had read about having to buy a complete TTRS clutch kit but that may have been specific to USA at that particular time a few years ago and things may be different in UK / EU.  Where there’s a will etc etc

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 12:34:39 pm »
Cool, will do some more research, just thinking how this will price up against a Helix kit? And whether my garage would be happy modifying the plate to make it work  :thinking:
Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 09:17:43 am »
AKS have a good price on the Helix organic with a new DMF - https://www.akstuning.co.uk/clutches/373-helix-orgnic-clutch-kit-for-vag-tfsi-engine.html

More info on the TTRS pressure plate.  It's discussing fitment to a MK6 GTI, but it's the same gearbox as MK5 -

TTRS clutch kit is $424 (£337) on Shopdap's site.  You can expect it to be £450ish in the UK!  Not sure if import duty and shipping from the states would beat the UK price or not, but worth looking into.  It's a shame we don't have a Shopdap in the UK.  We are so far behind the US for tuning and parts availability.

I hate my Helix clutch.  Can't wait to get it out of there.  I will be 100% going with the TTRS swap but it won't be happening until the spring/summer.  If you would rather go Helix, I believe they have binned the crappy Sachs Sporting pressure plate which my older kit uses, and replaced it with their own billet one which probably has more spring throw, which will put the bite in the middle of the pedal where it should be.   Check with Alex at AKS.  We were discussing the faults of Helix clutches when I was there last year and I know he's worked with them on a few issues.

The assurance of the TTRS's OEM reliability and usability is definitely worth the slight fitment aggro imo.   I've used Helix for years in my beefed up VWs and they've never been quite 100% and have always had inconsistent production quality.  The usual small UK company nonsense unfortunately.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 03:52:29 pm »
Thanks Pudding, I did watch the video the other day, I do like the idea but have taken the Helix route, just awaiting stock!
Hopefully the issue you have mentioned have been ironed out, I need the car back on the road and piece of mind that the clutch will handle the power.

I will update of my findings, and fingers crossed they are positive one  :happy2:
Pirelli GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »
Nice one  :happy2: 

If your kit comes with the billet pressure plate, it should fix all of the issues the early kit had.   The Helix has no trouble at all with that torque level  :happy2:   The pedal weight is fine the majority of the time, but as I said, if you get stuck in a long queue of traffic......well.....you'll find out for yourself  :grin:

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 08:34:54 pm »
Ha cheers pudding, I do very little miles in her so..
Let’s hope the new stock is as you say, will keep you updated on my findings

Thanks again for your valued input  :happy2:
Pirelli GTI