Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot light works during the day but not at night?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Boot light works during the day but not at night?
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
Here's an odd one. I noticed on a few evenings that the boot doesn't have a light in it. Kept meaning to have a look in daylight but didn't get round to it.

Anyway, checked today during the day and there is a boot light! And it works!

This evening, it's dark, I open the boot to put my gym bag in - light isn't on.

Any reason why my boot light seems to work during the day but not at night?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Boot light works during the day but not at night?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
If you take the boot light out, there's a little diode that's pushed into a crimp terminal.  Sometimes they come loose and the connection is then inconsistent.

Can't think of any reason why the time of day would affect it!  Unless it's tied into the rain/light sensor for the headlights? But I doubt it!   Or maybe the boot latch switch is faulty and it's turning itself off after a period of being left on......making you think it's not working when you open the boot?

My boot light wasn't working at all when I got the car.  Replaced the latch mechanism (the switch is an integral part of it) and it's been golden ever since.   You could bridge the connections for the bulb in the latch harness, day and night, to verify the wiring to the bulb is at least solid?  If that's all good, I reckon the latch is duff.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Boot light works during the day but not at night?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:15:05 pm »
Thanks Pudding. One of those things that you only remember in the dark, which is the wrong time to investigate!