Make a donation

Author Topic: H&R Springs + Dampers Combo  (Read 3402 times)

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
H&R Springs + Dampers Combo
« on: December 20, 2018, 02:37:54 pm »
So after trawling through numerous threads on here and other groups I've decided I'm going with H&R sport springs with 30mm drop. I live in London and do normal city driving mostly so don't want to splash out on a huge amount of cash.

Now I've had my GTI for nearly 2 weeks and very new to all this car modding. Mine is 2006 with 126k. My question is how would the ride be with my OEM dampers?, which I'm sure they are.

Ideally I don't want to upgrade these if I don't have to but if needed I was looking at Bilstein B6 shock absorbers. So my next question is, if I go with these would I need 2 front and 2 rear?

Any help would be appreciated. If any of you guys are running the H&R sport springs with 30mm, let me know what dampers you have and how the car rides.

Thanks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: H&R Springs + Dampers Combo
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:53:22 pm »
I would go with the B6 dampers, and yes, you need a set of 4.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:17:35 pm »
Hmmm then surely it’d be cheaper for me to go for the full B12 pro kit. The only thing I don’t like about that is the drop which is 20-25mm and because they are not specifically made for the Mk5 GTI the drop isn’t that noticeable, so I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:57 pm »
Hmmm then surely it’d be cheaper for me to go for the full B12 pro kit. The only thing I don’t like about that is the drop which is 20-25mm and because they are not specifically made for the Mk5 GTI the drop isn’t that noticeable, so I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a part number for mk5 GTI for the Bilstein B12. I'd recommend B8 with H&R springs. A friend has them and it works well. I preferred to go for the Koni Sport with H&R springs before going to the Bilstein B16 to raise the car a bit. :laugh:

Offline PKGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:59:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This thread is of massive interest to me as I have been considering the B12 kit and was about to press the button on it until reading about the Racing Line Sport kit!

The RL kit gets rave reviews and seems to offers improved ride quality but is a little soft when pushed... My rececently bought 08 plate car has to run the kids around and not annoy my wife who drives it most of the time.  My plan is to hi jack it in the summer for a few track days so want to mod it a little but retain a decent road car.  For this reason I am concerned the B12 kit might make the car too firm on the road.

Has anyone experienced the B12 kit?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:08 am »
I have the Racingline sports kit and think you will find it too soft on the track, though it is great for road driving up to 8/10th. You may be better off with the Relentless coilover kit which offers adjustable dampers as well as top mounts for extra camber.

Offline PKGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:59 pm »
I have the Racingline sports kit and think you will find it too soft on the track, though it is great for road driving up to 8/10th. You may be better off with the Relentless coilover kit which offers adjustable dampers as well as top mounts for extra camber.

Thanks for the reply, not really keen on the idea of coil overs.

Has anyone experienced the B12 set up?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 05:15:08 pm »
You might find the B12 Sportline (red springs) a tad stiff for daily use if you want refinement, not that the standard ride quality is especially plush to begin with!

B12 Pro (black springs) is what you need for a more compliant ride, but Bilstein's catalogue doesn't list such an option for the GTI.  Only the lesser models.  If you see any online places listing a Pro kit for GTI/ED30, be vigilant.  It doesn't officially exist.

Anyway, if the Sportline is of interest...

B12 Sportline for 55mm strut - https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/46-194916
B12 Sportline for 50mm strut - https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/46-183774

Yours should be a 55mm strut on a 2006.  The dealers are apparently unable to tell you which size is fitted from your VIN, but it's largely accepted that only very early GTIs came with a 50mm strut, i.e. 2004-2005.  50 and 55mm being the outside diameter of the (front) shock absorber.

I would go with Shoduchi's recommendation of B8 and HR springs.  B6 - B12 is the same damper.  The only difference is the droop length.

Cheap coilovers have a bad reputation, but the good ones are more flexible than fixed struts as you can fit spring rates & lengths of your choosing.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:17:09 pm by Pudding »

Offline PKGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
You might find the B12 Sportline (red springs) a tad stiff for daily use if you want refinement, not that the standard ride quality is especially plush to begin with!

B12 Pro (black springs) is what you need for a more compliant ride, but Bilstein's catalogue doesn't list such an option for the GTI.  Only the lesser models.  If you see any online places listing a Pro kit for GTI/ED30, be vigilant.  It doesn't officially exist.

B12 Sportline for 55mm strut - https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/46-194916
B12 Sportline for 50mm strut - https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/46-183774

Yours should be a 55mm strut on a 2006.  The dealers are apparently unable to tell you which size is fitted from your VIN, but it's largely accepted that only very early GTIs came with a 50mm strut, i.e. 2004-2005.  50 and 55mm being the outside diameter of the (front) shock absorber.

I would go with Shoduchi's recommendation of B8 and HR springs.  B6 - B12 is the same damper.  The only difference is the droop length.

Cheap coilovers have a bad reputation, but the good ones are more flexible than fixed struts as you can fit spring rates & lengths of your choosing.

Thank you your informed reply, my car is actually on a ‘58 plate so towards the end of the Mk5’s so from what you’re saying most likely 55mm.

I used the car on Saturday and the ride is too firm on the road for my taste although it seemed noticeably better at higher speeds. I will only use the car a few times this year on track so I’m beginning to lean towards the Racing Line set up that majors towards a decent ride from what I’ve seen posted on here. My hestitation is the idea it falls apart when pushed... Sometimes I like to press on and I’d hate to find I’ve ruined my cars ultimate handling capability!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:26:44 am »

The 50 mm struts are only fitted on versions with the FS-III calipers with 280 mm discs. I know well that since my diesel GT Sport had those smaller struts and brakes. I had to upgrade the knuckles to fit the R32 front brakes since the 50 mm knuckles aren't compatible with the bigger calipers.

So all the versions with 288 mm, 312 mm and 345 mm discs and corresponding calipers have 55 mm struts. :wink:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 05:24:28 am »
If fitting Racingline, I would also recommend upgrading your anti roll bars. This will both do the obvious in reducing roll but also adjust the balance away from understeer. I use the ‘small’ H&R option and they are quite comfortable. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice for fast road geo settings.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:10 pm »

Thank you your informed reply, my car is actually on a ‘58 plate so towards the end of the Mk5’s so from what you’re saying most likely 55mm.

I used the car on Saturday and the ride is too firm on the road for my taste although it seemed noticeably better at higher speeds. I will only use the car a few times this year on track so I’m beginning to lean towards the Racing Line set up that majors towards a decent ride from what I’ve seen posted on here. My hestitation is the idea it falls apart when pushed... Sometimes I like to press on and I’d hate to find I’ve ruined my cars ultimate handling capability!

That was exactly my objective as well.  Decent ride quality when plodding along but still feeling keyed into the tarmac at all times, and when the mood arises, it's a go kart in the corners.....but without throwing you out of your seat over mid corner dips/bumps in the process.  It's a difficult pile of boxes to tick with one setup. 

The Racingline setup is a definitely an improvement over oem in most areas.  It rides better on typical minor and A roads whilst also shifting the base car's wallowing at speed, so 2 boxes ticked there.  The only box it doesn't tick is the 7/10ths and harder cornering.  I experienced front arch fouling fairly easily.  Some of that is down to ride height, and some of it down to spring rate.  I also experienced some unexpected and severe understeer on a particular corner the stock suspension and my subsequent upgrade to coilovers don't even notice.  I put that down to the unpredictable nature of progressive springs.

As above, thicker ARBs will help reduce some of that lean into corners, so should solve the arch fouling.  It's a great kit for the money.  Other than that, my only other recommendation costs 4x as much.  I think the Bilstein kits will be too harsh for you.

You could try Racingline dampers with the standard springs.  The oem setup is very much geared towards urban responsiveness, but get it on a bumpy, winding B road, it falls apart.  The RL dampers ought to iron that out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm by Pudding »

Offline PKGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:39 pm »

That was exactly my objective as well.  Decent ride quality when plodding along but still feeling keyed into the tarmac at all times, and when the mood arises, it's a go kart in the corners.....but without throwing you out of your seat over mid corner dips/bumps in the process.  It's a difficult pile of boxes to tick with one setup. 

The Racingline setup is a definitely an improvement over oem in most areas.  It rides better on typical minor and A roads whilst also shifting the base car's wallowing at speed, so 2 boxes ticked there.  The only box it doesn't tick is the 7/10ths and harder cornering.  I experienced front arch fouling fairly easily.  Some of that is down to ride height, and some of it down to spring rate.  I also experienced some unexpected and severe understeer on a particular corner the stock suspension and my subsequent upgrade to coilovers don't even notice.  I put that down to the unpredictable nature of progressive springs.

As above, thicker ARBs will help reduce some of that lean into corners, so should solve the arch fouling.  It's a great kit for the money.  Other than that, my only other recommendation costs 4x as much.  I think the Bilstein kits will be too harsh for you.

You could try Racingline dampers with the standard springs.  The oem setup is very much geared towards urban responsiveness, but get it on a bumpy, winding B road, it falls apart.  The RL dampers ought to iron that out.

I am leaning towards the RL Shocks and Springs with the addition on H&R roll bars front and rear.  I couldn’t live with rubbing and the anti roll bars should help out on the track. I also like the idea that the lowering is subtle in appearance... I also hope to cart the family to Wales in the spring for a few days in the half term break so need the car to remain drivable full laden. I love the prospect of a lap around the EVO Triange in the GTI!