Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil light comes on after an hour or so, but never at any other time ?  (Read 1547 times)

ZxanderGTi

Hi Guys,
Hoping someone might know whats going on ? The car is a 2005 Gti DSG.

This problem started a few months back on a long drive around 2 hours, The oil light came on around the hour and a half mark of the journey and the dash displayed check oil level, whilst I was just cruising on the motorway. There were no other lights indicating it was more serious than the car thinking the oil level was a little low so I carried on and got home. I checked the oil level when I got back and the light turned off. I didn't see it again until another hour long drive a few weeks later.

This has been going on for a while now and it only comes on after an hour (not at exactly an hour but some time after), no matter how its being driven. The car runs as normal with no issues other than the light. I have checked the ECU for faults and it reads empty. Any ideas ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:43:51 pm by ZxanderGTi »

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Oil light comes on after an hour or so, but never at any other time ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:19:12 pm »
Possibly the oil pickup pipe blocked.  Search on here for a how-to-fix.

ZxanderGTi

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Any idea as to why the light takes so long to come on though ? If the pickup is blocked surely the light would come on all the time ? Also wondering if its still safe to drive until I can get it fixed ?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:03 am »
mate of mine had a smilar issue in a BMW turned out to be his oil level sensor, not sure if this will cure your issue but thought i'd put it out there.

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Any idea as to why the light takes so long to come on though ? If the pickup is blocked surely the light would come on all the time ? Also wondering if its still safe to drive until I can get it fixed ?

Hi Mate,

have a look at this thread:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96962.0.html