Author Topic: Final push for the MK5 GTI  (Read 3543 times)

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Final push for the MK5 GTI
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »
Paul, there’s some brand new vis internals just listed on the TFSI for sale Facebook page for £200 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/424358197750803/ otherwise just email Ovidiu and I’m sure he can make you an offer.

Is Ovidiu on this forum? or should I just contact him through the website?

Thanks again lads for all the help and support. Just joined that UK TFSI website now, waiting for the admins to do their background checks  :P

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »
Ovidiu is Mr Vis and is very helpful.

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 490
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
90% of aftermarket DPs are cheap junk.  Look for a full bore outlet, which is about 85mm.  Only a handful of companies make such a flange size.  Relentless 3.5" and APR are two that spring to mind.  The crap you see on ebay is mostly 3" OD, which equates to considerably less than that on the ID, so quite a big step down in the flow.

Also look at the flex section length and quality.  APR use OEM flex sections and BCS use nice long flexis.  Stumpy little flexis runs out of travel under hard acceleration, meaning either the turbo flange studs will snap off, or the DP will fracture. It's important reliability stuff a lot people don't consider.

You should probably try Stage 1 with stock hardware before venturing into Stage 2+.  The latter is very underwhelming compared to stock > Stage 1.  It's not good VFM imo.

Good move on the Turbo Technics unit.  They don't big themselves up like most social media companies like TTE and Beach Buggy....but rest assured, they've been in the turbo game longer than anyone else and know their sh1t  :happy2:

Personally, I would put more money into the chassis than the engine.  Big grunt just results in one tyre fires and Astra Diesels will be smoking you off the lights, but either way, enjoy the journey.  Plenty of scope in these cars  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
So much for "the final push"

I was driving to work on Tuesday morning and the car started chugging at low revs in traffic followed by the engine light coming on.

Brought the car to the garage and he said there's a misfire from cylinder one. The spark plug which only has 200 miles on it was black. Used some millers engine flush, got a new oil filter and new oil then drove the car hard for 50 miles. Rechecked the spark plug and low and behold its black.
The car is smokey out the back aswell, so burning oil.

Possible causes that come to mind are the piston rings or valve stem seals errors.

My mechanic said my options if I want to keep the car in the long term I have to do an engine swap with a reconditioned engine as a rebuild would be too expensive.

The other option is to remove the turbo technics brad new turbo and put a standard ko3 back on and remove my brembos and put back on the standard then flog the motor.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable reconditioned engine seller?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please share them,
Thanks.

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
Black with an oily residue, or dry but sooty?   Probably a knackered piston if the former.  Oiled up plugs don't spark so well.

Sounds like it may have been running too lean.  I'm not convinced the new turbo you put on there is like for like, but there could be other variables at play here, suffice to say a standard car with a new standard turbo, shouldn't be breaking ring lands.

Reconditioned/Rebuilt is essentially the same thing but another option is a crate engine from VW/TPS.   The big stuff they don't sell a lot of, have much bigger discounts than the smaller, bread & butter parts.  It's worth asking.  You'll get a brand new 'long block'.  I wouldn't trust any reconditioner personally.  I still remember the Watchdog reports from years ago about the whole industry!

Or you could take the opportunity to upgrade the engine to something newer and better?

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
@Pudding
Put the Diagnostics on it and it said it was running lean alright. The plug is dry but sooty mate.
As far as the turbo not being like for like, turbo technics assured me that the turbo was like for like, even with the 360-degree thrust bearing extra I requested they told me there's no need for a remap.

Pretty p*sssed off now considering I spent 1100 euro on the turbo and its knackered my engine... Would you reckon there's any recourse for me?

Regarding the recondition/rebuilt discussion, I'd just be wary of putting in another used lump and then that engine has hidden issues.
The same worry applies to throwing in a newer engine.

I'll enquire about VW/TPS about a crate engine, so thanks for that!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 139
  • -Receive: 186
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
Injector died and led to melty piston would be my first guess, but then again the car really needed datlogging after a turbo change/upgrade to ensure its running safely. If it really has been running so lean that the ECU was unable to adapt for it, then its far from a 'like for like' turbo. Though on a standard, unmapped car it would likely have never been an issue but you won't have any grounds for recourse as you cannot categorically prove the turbo physically damaged the engine, as it didn't.

I would get the injectors off, labelled up (i.e. cylinder 1-4) and sent off for testing, once you have 4 known injectors, get a new lump in, get it running and get it datalogged. If its running lean (i.e. the map you have isn't suitable for the turbo, then you either need a new turbo or a new map.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:46:26 AM by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
If the plug is dry but sooty, it could be a bad injector as above.   

Maybe the ECU was leaning out the entire bank because injector 1 was over fuelling, causing the lean fault code.   This is the problem with 1 lambda sensor measuring across all 4 cylinders!

I would do as Dan suggested first because 1 black spark plug isn't right in any case, and we can go from there  :happy2:

Offline BarryGog

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Final push for the MK5 GTI
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
One simple question. Who makes the best tuning package for the amount of money you spend?Volvoracer06

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 11:22:13 PM »
Well hello, again @pudding @colesey @AJP @Dan_FR  and the rest of the forum.

Bad news
Since I ran into the engine problems during "the final push" I decided to sell the car :(

Good News
I bought another one  :jumping:  I'll Post some pictures ASAP
The new one is extremely tight. The DSG box has had a service and recalibration and trust me you can tell!

Before I map this car, obviously there's a lot of parts that are going onto it.
Seeing as my last golf SH*T itself :sick: over the turbo technics turbo seemingly not being like for like I'll be sure to map the car immediately after the turbo is installed this time.
I'll also get the manifold cleaned and injectors cleaned/upgraded prior to the map.
PREHAB they call it  :grin: prehabilitation or pre-maintenance or maybe you could say that I'm scared to death it happens again!

@Dan_FR I appreciate the suggestions on how to go about fixing the issue but as you can probably tell I'm not mechanically savvy. I did speak to my mechanic (a proper car man and enthusiast) with what you advised and he flat out told me that the costs involved in diagnosing the issues, fixing the issues then buttoning it up on the car could cost a bomb. So I cut my losses and sold the high spec mk5 gti for 1500 euro.

Yesterday I bought a 2 owner (1st owner had the car set up with disabled drivers controls) 2006 mk5 3 door dsg with 82k miles for 3700 euro. I'm currently driving a 4 door manual mk5 gti that I bought while I was losing my mind looking at DSG dirtboxes for sale in Ireland.
I'm selling the manual 4 door to my mechanic for 2400 and then "the final push" restarts!!

So, I'm going to list out the parts I have below then after that, I'll write a list of my "Basket" which is saved for purchase.

Service Parts:
NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS
Timing belt & water pump
Millers 5w40nt nanodrive 5L
bosch cabin filter
bosch oil filter
fuel filter
Blistein cam follower
cone air filter
rear brake pads
PCV
Front brake discs (that fit the porsche brembos and golf mk5) ???

Owned mod Parts to fit:
Typhoon air intake (will be fitted immediately)
Porsche 968 boxster 4 pot brembo calipers & adapters (will be fitted immediately)
Turbotechnics 360 degree thrust bearing Turbo (According to them is like for like without the need for remap)
GFB DV

Web basket:
Powerflex lower dogbone mount insert
Powerflex lower engine mount
Front brake discs - Any recommendations?

Possible further purchases now:
Turbo pipework
S3 intercooler? & intercooler pipes
VIS or equivelant HPFP internals
RS4 Fuel return valve
Downpipe (relentless or pipeworx)

Hopefully, you guys are still interested in this thread as I'm going to ask some questions below that hopefully you can advise me and help me out with.

I know people will say "just enjoy the car for a while" before going through with this work but this thread is a year old and my golf gti dsg journey has gone on much longer. This is my 3rd DSG mk5 so I want this one completed without having to wait another few years.

If the car is going to be installed with a seemingly more powerful turbo, decoked/carbon cleaned and remapped would the mods I listed be worthwhile?
Would they help the car reach higher power on a remap?
Would the combination of the improved HPFP, rs4 fuel return valve, and upgraded injectors allow for more power with the remap?
Am I missing something with that last question?

Great to be back on the forum  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:28:06 PM by paulmcgrath »

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 05:20:51 PM »
Hey mate, good to see you're still around and didn't defect to another brand  :drinking:

The list all seems good but I don't know what discs fit Porsche 968 calipers, sorry!

Can recommend the VIS internals and the RS4 valve, they will both help with your power goals and fuelling consistency.  The S3 or 6R/late S3 intercooler is another good move, but you will get a slight increase in lag as it's a big ol' unit compared to the GTI one.  If it's a K03 engine and turbo, you won't need bigger injectors, just the pump and RS4 valve.  You only need the K04 injectors if fitting all that jazz.

Do that little lot and spend more on the chassis upgrades than the engine is my advice  :happy2:  Straight line power gets boring after a while but ridiculous cornering speeds never gets old  :drinking:

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 01:15:44 AM »
Great to be back and hope all is well @Pudding you gave me some great advice so thank you!
Of course, I didn't defect! I'm riding this thing out until I get the clean mk5 DSG gti modded car that I've wanted since I was 13!
I did, however, buy a 91 classic honda civic ef with 70k miles. I don't know what you and the forum think about them but the honda civic ef has been another dream car for me. Delighted to have picked up a rust-free one for under 2k GBP.

Anyway back to the golf, I've sorted the discs and I've ordered the mounts, I then tried to order the Relentless 3.5 DP but there is a 3-week wait.
Pretty frustrating as I'll be abroad by the time that arrives and if there's no downpipe then there's no turbo install. I'm not risking bursting my engine again with that turbo tech K03 unmapped, whilst waiting for the downpipe to arrive.

Does anyone know of someone selling a BCS 3.5 DP or a relentless 3.5 DP for sale? (or equivalent quality brand)

I was leaning towards swerving the fuel pump upgrade right now, does that mean the RS4 fuel return valve cant be fitted?

Inlet manifold is being cleaned so would be perfect to fit the RS4 valve no?

I'm trying to keep labour costs down by fitting good mods to the car that will be accessible and easier to fit while the car is stripped for the manifold clean, timing belt & water pump, turbo install, downpipe install, powerflex bushes etc

I'm still learning here on the job lads, so bear with me  :laugh:

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
No idea what a Civic ef is but there's no brand snobbery on here that I've noticed  :happy2:   Every car brand has it's pluses and negatives. VWs have plenty of negatives  :grin:

I'm not sure a standard pump has much beans at 135bar but no harm in fitting the RS4 valve anyway as it's a ball ache to get to!  Yeah may as well attack that whilst doing the inlet clean  :happy2:

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
Hi guys, read through the thread, sorry to hear of your woes, trust me, been there, bought the tshirt and all that (ended up forging).

Anyhow, regarding the plans for the turbo from turbo technics, if you have plans to go for hpfp, downpipe and intercooler, I would go for their hybrid direct bolt on, I have one along with supporting hardware amd with a sports cat, all mapped to suit, making 350 bhp 405 ft lbs. I believe there is more in there, but its plenty quick at that, and the turbo behaves like a standard ko3 but on steroids !!

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
@Beej

I already have a turbo technics "direct swap turbo" with the only edit being a 360-degree thrust bearing. It seems to put out more power than the standard turbo, hence the upgrades I'm doing now before I get the remap.

As far as upgrading the current turbo technics turbo that I have to a hybrid, well I priced it and it's very expensive.
Woes are part of the game with these cars but they're rewarding when looked after!!

I'm still waiting for slow sellers to finalize the BCS 3" downpipe that I'm ordering but here are some pictures of the car unmodified.

IMG-20200214-175848" border="0
IMG-20200214-175738" border="0
IMG-20200214-175812" border="0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:27:11 PM by paulmcgrath »