Make a donation

Author Topic: Final push for the MK5 GTI  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: Final push for the MK5 GTI
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 06:38:15 pm »
@paulmcgrath

I take it you will be going for a custom map when its all done? Do turbo technics state that the only upgrade in your turbo is just the ball bearing setup and no other changes to it? 

I do get what you mean about rewarding, i love mine to bits, and I would defend it to the hills, even with how much money I have thrown at it, and even then, it still has its faults which drive me mad as I can't work out what is causing them!

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 07:53:36 pm »
Oh, yea custom map with the Irish wizard Joe Power. I've been wanting a custom map off this guy for 10 years now!
On the receipt to the turbo it does state that's the only upgrade

Trying to decide whether to do the VIS internal upgrade now  :thinking:
I also want that anti-lift kit...

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 536
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 02:32:39 am »
@paulmcgrath

I take it you will be going for a custom map when its all done? Do turbo technics state that the only upgrade in your turbo is just the ball bearing setup and no other changes to it? 

I do get what you mean about rewarding, i love mine to bits, and I would defend it to the hills, even with how much money I have thrown at it, and even then, it still has its faults which drive me mad as I can't work out what is causing them!

Pretty sure the Turbo Technics upgrade is just a 360 degree bearing.  Not many people do a ball bearing CHRA on the K03/K04 as it's quite a lot of machining work and most of the attention these days is on the MK7.  Only aware of one chap on Facebook that does that mod.

To visualise the difference, the pic below shows the 360 degree bearing on the left, and the stock 270 degree on the right. 

360 bearings improve the lubrication and thrust load handling, so might spool up a little quicker, but not as fast as a ball bearing centre housing.

A stock map or a remap designed around the standard turbo would be a bit lean in the midrange if using a hybrid......which can = melted pistons.

When fitting a modified turbo, always get a spec sheet to see how it differs from stock, then get it remapped from there  :happy2:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:42:15 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 08:22:16 am »
Oh, yea custom map with the Irish wizard Joe Power. I've been wanting a custom map off this guy for 10 years now!
On the receipt to the turbo it does state that's the only upgrade

Trying to decide whether to do the VIS internal upgrade now  :thinking:
I also want that anti-lift kit...

I would go for the hpfp internals whether vis or autotec, will give you a much better midrange
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:24:59 am by Beej »

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:34 am »
@paulmcgrath

Pretty sure the Turbo Technics upgrade is just a 360 degree bearing.  Not many people do a ball bearing CHRA on the K03/K04 as it's quite a lot of machining work and most of the attention these days is on the MK7.  Only aware of one chap on Facebook that does that mod.

To visualise the difference, the pic below shows the 360 degree bearing on the left, and the stock 270 degree on the right. 

360 bearings improve the lubrication and thrust load handling, so might spool up a little quicker, but not as fast as a ball bearing centre housing.

A stock map or a remap designed around the standard turbo would be a bit lean in the midrange if using a hybrid......which can = melted pistons.

When fitting a modified turbo, always get a spec sheet to see how it differs from stock, then get it remapped from there  :happy2:

My bad, typed ball bearing rather than 360 degree  :wink:

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 01:10:36 pm »
Fwiw Venom do a ball bearing K04 hybrid. Maybe a similar K03 hybrid could be a possibility?!?

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:53 pm »
Thinking about it, if the bearing material is better quality and more area to support the shaft, it probably would spool up a bit quicker.  It's spool up characteristics shouldn't be wildly different to stock though.  Just longer lasting and more reliable with remaps.

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 06:24:49 am »
Kev, I have a Parlee race bike with hybrid ceramic wheel bearings (steel cage / ceramic balls) and the ease at which they spin, almost never stopping, is really impressive. The lack of inertia / drag is awesome, though I do accept that some of this may be attributable to different seal drag / grease type which wouldn’t be applicable to turbos. Just like lighter billet wheels, I can understand how lower friction bearings will benefit spool up.

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 12:02:23 pm »
Sounds great!  I had some Mavic wheels on an MTB years ago with similar technology but that style of bearing doesn't last long on MTBs, so they reverted back to cones + steel balls for strength.

Ball bearing turbos carry on spinning for ages after engine shut down, quite impressive!  You also don't get the same problems with shutting the engine off straight after a hard run that you get with journal bearings.  The good old days of turbo timers are done and dusted :grin:

The main benefit of ball bearings that I've noticed on road cars is building boost back up again after closing the throttle.  Much better transient response, but probably the biggest factor in spool up is the weight and design of the turbo wheels.  The temptation is get as fast a spool as possible but that can shred tyres and/or strip teeth off gears, so it's all a careful balancing act.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:53 pm »
Guys!!!  :smiley:

Apologies for taking literally months to get back to this. I don’t get on the site at all after my GTI came to an end 18 months ago  :sad1:

I’m still very much partisan to the dub. Been rolling round in a 130 Bora for a year or so, and gearing up for the next project... a mk6 R. I chatted to Kev a few times about this and he’s probably surprised at me saying that, after we discussed all things 5 cylinder and beyond! But the fact is I loved my GTI, all it was missing was grip and a bigger turbo. So a mk5.5 4wd GTI really does seem to be the answer. Don’t get me started on mk7s...

Anyway, I hope you’re all doing well, Kev, Paul, Dan, Andy, all the old faces. I’m guessing a few have migrated. Just realised, I’m a moderator on here and I haven’t really been very attentive. So again, apologies there. If there’s anyone wanting to step up, by all means pass them my baton!

Paul, I hope you’re having some joy with the new mk5. Any questions give me a shout. I’m going to set up email alerts for PMs to stay a bit more in touch with the community.

Cheers dudes  :happy2:

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2020, 08:19:58 pm »
A fine choice sir  :happy2: 

I'd rather have a MK6 R than a MK7 R any day of the week, but it just comes down to price and availability due 6Rs rarity, especially in my dream spec of 3 door black or grey DSG with cloth interior.

Food for thought......early 7Rs are heading down to mint MK6 R price levels and I'm afraid to say, the 7R is objectively the better car in terms of chassis and drivetrain....but subjectively the 6R is the much, much better looking car.

Anyway, it's a good move mate.  CDL engine as standard so tonnes of tuning scope, and traction  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 10:50:10 pm »

I'd rather have a MK6 R than a MK7 R any day of the week, but it just comes down to price and availability due 6Rs rarity, especially in my dream spec of 3 door black or grey DSG with cloth interior.

Food for thought......early 7Rs are heading down to mint MK6 R price levels and I'm afraid to say, the 7R is objectively the better car in terms of chassis and drivetrain....but subjectively the 6R is the much, much better looking car.

Anyway, it's a good move mate.  CDL engine as standard so tonnes of tuning scope, and traction  :smiley:

Evening mate  :smiley:

Yes it’s taken a while to get my head around paying mk7 money for a mk6, especially when we are talking about a better performing car and not just a newer car. But the way I see it is that exclusivity has value, so costs money. And I’ve always loved the looks of the mk6. It looks mean, like a proper R should. The mk7, well it can be improved somewhat in the looks department, but at the end of the day it’s still a mk7 and even a uniquely modded one just wouldn’t have the wow factor of a standard mk6.

Watch this space...!

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2020, 08:11:39 pm »

Evening mate  :smiley:

Yes it’s taken a while to get my head around paying mk7 money for a mk6, especially when we are talking about a better performing car and not just a newer car. But the way I see it is that exclusivity has value, so costs money. And I’ve always loved the looks of the mk6. It looks mean, like a proper R should. The mk7, well it can be improved somewhat in the looks department, but at the end of the day it’s still a mk7 and even a uniquely modded one just wouldn’t have the wow factor of a standard mk6.

Watch this space...!

Long time bud  :smiley:

I agree completely.  I'm just more of a tech guy than a styling guy, therefore appreciate the advancements of the 7R (MUCH faster reacting Haldex for example), but that said, the 7 speed DSG in the 7R is terrible, so the MK6 is better in that respect for sure  :happy2:  The 6R is the logical step up from a MK5 and it's not too dissimilar, so familiar handling and driving appeal......just better made  :smiley:

Looking forward to the pics  :happy2:

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 12:01:29 am »
@Pudding  @Beej  @colesey @AJP  @dan_fr   :drinking:

* At the bottom of this post is the current mod list and the custom map achieved on 95 Ron fuel with supporting mods.

Are we all alive and kicking?
Hopefully we’ll be back kicking the foot down in the motors soon!

Glad to see a lot of the OG’s of the forum are in this little thread.

Maybe we could get a post from everyone showcasing there current car and a list of its spec and what’s next!?

Would be nice to keep the thread going with an update from everyone.

As far as My MK5 goes I took your advice on handling upgrades @pudding and got some coilovers and fully (powerflex) polybushed the front end.
Still no upgraded sway bars and no bushes on the A*se end.
Reason being I’ve been thinking I will eventually turn the car into my version of a 4wd mk5.5 @ajp :wink:
I love the 6r too but I want this mk5 forever.

@beej you were right about the turbo technics k03 hybrid. I’m very interested in that turbo at the moment, but at the time I just didn’t have the money to take that on. But now I need to know what Tt hybrids capabilities are on 95 Ron. In Ireland we have zero petrol stations with anything better then 95ron, so mapping power is significantly lower then the UK.

Mods:

Turbo technics turbo with *360 degree thrust bearing.
Bcs 3” power valve downpipe with 200cell sports Cat into 3” exhaust
Vis internals
Rs4 return valve
Gfb dv
Typhoon induction kit

Tyres, stopping & suspension
Bridgestone potenza
Mtec front and rear discs
AP coilovers
Polybushed front end (powerflex)
Front : Porsche Brembos (the ones that squeeel)
Brembo pads
Rear:
Standard Gti calipers with mtec pads

Things to do
Gearbox Service due
Full service due
S3 or toyo intercooler?
Turbo K04 or turbo technics hybrid K03?
4wd conversion?
Tcu/dsg map

The  latest figures I’ve seen of the k03 hybrid on rtechs Facebook page (linked below) is quite impressive.
https://www.facebook.com/353560864702852/posts/2240380922687494/?d=n

I have been thinking about the 4wd conversion but on the other hand if I’m eventually going 4wd then I would be better off with a k04 conversion rather then a k03 hybrid conversion.
Am I right in thinking that the k04 is toned down for the bwa engine whilst a k03 hybrid be the opposite, as a sort  of aggressive tune to reach high figures on poor fuel.

What’s peoples thoughts on the latest technology with k03 hybrids and how it matches up with the tried and tested k04 conversion?

Custom Map figures. Thoughts?
Thanks everyone

Shoutout my pal Lendio for helping me get the car done and over the line
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:27:18 pm by paulmcgrath »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 183
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2021, 09:07:17 pm »
Good to catch-up on where you are with the (current) car. I've not been on the forum a lot recently, mostly due to spending the last year juggling home schooling alone with 2 kids whilst trying to work from home. The rare spare time I've had has been spent painting the wheels of the Leon in lockdown 1 and working on my lads go kart and a 'big build' on his engine during the winter months - from a tame 6.5hp standard to circa 15hp and 8K RPM once its fully run in. Only so much you can do on the bench at home.... This is how it sounds now - sat there waiting for our track to re-open... Previously sounded like your run of the mill generator engine (which it was/is :signLOL:)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ajo-PqpruH-cgq0jr6w1LjKBHCJAlA

Most K03 hybrids are similar to K04 turbos in terms of potential, the perk is not having to switch the intake piping, boost piping and DV setup to the K04. 350HP is generally the aim or sweet spot for the BWA engine, on higher octane fuel of course. You're probably looking more in the 320's or 330's on 95.

I've had the Leon for coming up to 8 years now. Barely put a spanner to it the last couple of years, though recently since the kids are back in school I've caught up on a lot of overdue servicing - engine oil, manual gearbox oil (massively worthwhile doing and so often overlooked!), all filters, plugs, follower, full alignment, air con regas etc. and replaced the CV boot the other day too.... And I've some MTEC C Hook discs and new pads on order all round. Going to give the wheels a freshen up again this summer too. Since I work from home now and the car barely does 3k miles a year, mostly on school runs, there's little point in changing it, or going any further than its current setup (Revo 2+ with meth injection). I've gotten in to karting with my boy, so all my spare cash goes into running 2 go karts

Pic below of it sitting there in front of the garage as it does most of the time  :signLOL:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:42:12 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales