Author Topic: Final push for the MK5 GTI  (Read 1219 times)

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Final push for the MK5 GTI
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »
Paul, there’s some brand new vis internals just listed on the TFSI for sale Facebook page for £200 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/424358197750803/ otherwise just email Ovidiu and I’m sure he can make you an offer.

Is Ovidiu on this forum? or should I just contact him through the website?

Thanks again lads for all the help and support. Just joined that UK TFSI website now, waiting for the admins to do their background checks  :P

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »
Ovidiu is Mr Vis and is very helpful.

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 419
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
90% of aftermarket DPs are cheap junk.  Look for a full bore outlet, which is about 85mm.  Only a handful of companies make such a flange size.  Relentless 3.5" and APR are two that spring to mind.  The crap you see on ebay is mostly 3" OD, which equates to considerably less than that on the ID, so quite a big step down in the flow.

Also look at the flex section length and quality.  APR use OEM flex sections and BCS use nice long flexis.  Stumpy little flexis runs out of travel under hard acceleration, meaning either the turbo flange studs will snap off, or the DP will fracture. It's important reliability stuff a lot people don't consider.

You should probably try Stage 1 with stock hardware before venturing into Stage 2+.  The latter is very underwhelming compared to stock > Stage 1.  It's not good VFM imo.

Good move on the Turbo Technics unit.  They don't big themselves up like most social media companies like TTE and Beach Buggy....but rest assured, they've been in the turbo game longer than anyone else and know their sh1t  :happy2:

Personally, I would put more money into the chassis than the engine.  Big grunt just results in one tyre fires and Astra Diesels will be smoking you off the lights, but either way, enjoy the journey.  Plenty of scope in these cars  :smiley:

Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
So much for "the final push"

I was driving to work on Tuesday morning and the car started chugging at low revs in traffic followed by the engine light coming on.

Brought the car to the garage and he said there's a misfire from cylinder one. The spark plug which only has 200 miles on it was black. Used some millers engine flush, got a new oil filter and new oil then drove the car hard for 50 miles. Rechecked the spark plug and low and behold its black.
The car is smokey out the back aswell, so burning oil.

Possible causes that come to mind are the piston rings or valve stem seals errors.

My mechanic said my options if I want to keep the car in the long term I have to do an engine swap with a reconditioned engine as a rebuild would be too expensive.

The other option is to remove the turbo technics brad new turbo and put a standard ko3 back on and remove my brembos and put back on the standard then flog the motor.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable reconditioned engine seller?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please share them,
Thanks.

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
Black with an oily residue, or dry but sooty?   Probably a knackered piston if the former.  Oiled up plugs don't spark so well.

Sounds like it may have been running too lean.  I'm not convinced the new turbo you put on there is like for like, but there could be other variables at play here, suffice to say a standard car with a new standard turbo, shouldn't be breaking ring lands.

Reconditioned/Rebuilt is essentially the same thing but another option is a crate engine from VW/TPS.   The big stuff they don't sell a lot of, have much bigger discounts than the smaller, bread & butter parts.  It's worth asking.  You'll get a brand new 'long block'.  I wouldn't trust any reconditioner personally.  I still remember the Watchdog reports from years ago about the whole industry!

Or you could take the opportunity to upgrade the engine to something newer and better?
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
@Pudding
Put the Diagnostics on it and it said it was running lean alright. The plug is dry but sooty mate.
As far as the turbo not being like for like, turbo technics assured me that the turbo was like for like, even with the 360-degree thrust bearing extra I requested they told me there's no need for a remap.

Pretty p*sssed off now considering I spent 1100 euro on the turbo and its knackered my engine... Would you reckon there's any recourse for me?

Regarding the recondition/rebuilt discussion, I'd just be wary of putting in another used lump and then that engine has hidden issues.
The same worry applies to throwing in a newer engine.

I'll enquire about VW/TPS about a crate engine, so thanks for that!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 175
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
Injector died and led to melty piston would be my first guess, but then again the car really needed datlogging after a turbo change/upgrade to ensure its running safely. If it really has been running so lean that the ECU was unable to adapt for it, then its far from a 'like for like' turbo. Though on a standard, unmapped car it would likely have never been an issue but you won't have any grounds for recourse as you cannot categorically prove the turbo physically damaged the engine, as it didn't.

I would get the injectors off, labelled up (i.e. cylinder 1-4) and sent off for testing, once you have 4 known injectors, get a new lump in, get it running and get it datalogged. If its running lean (i.e. the map you have isn't suitable for the turbo, then you either need a new turbo or a new map.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:46:26 AM by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
If the plug is dry but sooty, it could be a bad injector as above.   

Maybe the ECU was leaning out the entire bank because injector 1 was over fuelling, causing the lean fault code.   This is the problem with 1 lambda sensor measuring across all 4 cylinders!

I would do as Dan suggested first because 1 black spark plug isn't right in any case, and we can go from there  :happy2: