Author Topic: Final push for the MK5 GTI  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: Final push for the MK5 GTI
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »
@paulmcgrath

I take it you will be going for a custom map when its all done? Do turbo technics state that the only upgrade in your turbo is just the ball bearing setup and no other changes to it? 

I do get what you mean about rewarding, i love mine to bits, and I would defend it to the hills, even with how much money I have thrown at it, and even then, it still has its faults which drive me mad as I can't work out what is causing them!

Offline paulmcgrath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
Oh, yea custom map with the Irish wizard Joe Power. I've been wanting a custom map off this guy for 10 years now!
On the receipt to the turbo it does state that's the only upgrade

Trying to decide whether to do the VIS internal upgrade now  :thinking:
I also want that anti-lift kit...

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 479
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »
@paulmcgrath

I take it you will be going for a custom map when its all done? Do turbo technics state that the only upgrade in your turbo is just the ball bearing setup and no other changes to it? 

I do get what you mean about rewarding, i love mine to bits, and I would defend it to the hills, even with how much money I have thrown at it, and even then, it still has its faults which drive me mad as I can't work out what is causing them!

Pretty sure the Turbo Technics upgrade is just a 360 degree bearing.  Not many people do a ball bearing CHRA on the K03/K04 as it's quite a lot of machining work and most of the attention these days is on the MK7.  Only aware of one chap on Facebook that does that mod.

To visualise the difference, the pic below shows the 360 degree bearing on the left, and the stock 270 degree on the right. 

360 bearings improve the lubrication and thrust load handling, so might spool up a little quicker, but not as fast as a ball bearing centre housing.

A stock map or a remap designed around the standard turbo would be a bit lean in the midrange if using a hybrid......which can = melted pistons.

When fitting a modified turbo, always get a spec sheet to see how it differs from stock, then get it remapped from there  :happy2:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:42:15 AM by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
Oh, yea custom map with the Irish wizard Joe Power. I've been wanting a custom map off this guy for 10 years now!
On the receipt to the turbo it does state that's the only upgrade

Trying to decide whether to do the VIS internal upgrade now  :thinking:
I also want that anti-lift kit...

I would go for the hpfp internals whether vis or autotec, will give you a much better midrange
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:24:59 AM by Beej »

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »
@paulmcgrath

Pretty sure the Turbo Technics upgrade is just a 360 degree bearing.  Not many people do a ball bearing CHRA on the K03/K04 as it's quite a lot of machining work and most of the attention these days is on the MK7.  Only aware of one chap on Facebook that does that mod.

To visualise the difference, the pic below shows the 360 degree bearing on the left, and the stock 270 degree on the right. 

360 bearings improve the lubrication and thrust load handling, so might spool up a little quicker, but not as fast as a ball bearing centre housing.

A stock map or a remap designed around the standard turbo would be a bit lean in the midrange if using a hybrid......which can = melted pistons.

When fitting a modified turbo, always get a spec sheet to see how it differs from stock, then get it remapped from there  :happy2:

My bad, typed ball bearing rather than 360 degree  :wink:

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 68
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
Fwiw Venom do a ball bearing K04 hybrid. Maybe a similar K03 hybrid could be a possibility?!?

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
Thinking about it, if the bearing material is better quality and more area to support the shaft, it probably would spool up a bit quicker.  It's spool up characteristics shouldn't be wildly different to stock though.  Just longer lasting and more reliable with remaps.

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)

Offline colesey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 68
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 06:24:49 AM »
Kev, I have a Parlee race bike with hybrid ceramic wheel bearings (steel cage / ceramic balls) and the ease at which they spin, almost never stopping, is really impressive. The lack of inertia / drag is awesome, though I do accept that some of this may be attributable to different seal drag / grease type which wouldn’t be applicable to turbos. Just like lighter billet wheels, I can understand how lower friction bearings will benefit spool up.

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »
Sounds great!  I had some Mavic wheels on an MTB years ago with similar technology but that style of bearing doesn't last long on MTBs, so they reverted back to cones + steel balls for strength.

Ball bearing turbos carry on spinning for ages after engine shut down, quite impressive!  You also don't get the same problems with shutting the engine off straight after a hard run that you get with journal bearings.  The good old days of turbo timers are done and dusted :grin:

The main benefit of ball bearings that I've noticed on road cars is building boost back up again after closing the throttle.  Much better transient response, but probably the biggest factor in spool up is the weight and design of the turbo wheels.  The temptation is get as fast a spool as possible but that can shred tyres and/or strip teeth off gears, so it's all a careful balancing act.