Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket stereo ignition on/off???  (Read 16013 times)

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Aftermarket stereo ignition on/off???
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »
Hi just an update. I went for the fuse tap route taking it's own live feed from drivers side fuse box from one of the empty slots , it turns on/off with the key now and works all good.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Any issues with battery since? I need to do this myself, but not sure how. Or what I’m supposed to buy. What kind of wire is it? I can’t find any websites or videos that explain how to do this. Could you help? Pictures or a video or something?

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
I've used the connect 2 harness that allows the multi function steering wheel controls to work and even without multi function steering wheel this will sort out and saves running extra wires for power and battery drain issues and used them on 3 mk5s and never any issues 👍

I can’t find this on the Dynamic Sounds website. Do you have a model number or something for the exact Connects2 harness you bought?

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 12:56:15 pm »
Ho yeah it has been spot on and no issues whatsoever. I ran a fuse tap from one of the top row empty slots in the dashboard fuse box as they are ignition live by the key. I get the fuse tap from Ebay and I also bought the same head unit to go in my Audi A3 and ran the exact same fuse tap setup and no issues

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 03:25:19 pm »
Ho yeah it has been spot on and no issues whatsoever. I ran a fuse tap from one of the top row empty slots in the dashboard fuse box as they are ignition live by the key. I get the fuse tap from Ebay and I also bought the same head unit to go in my Audi A3 and ran the exact same fuse tap setup and no issues

Thanks for replying. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to cars, so apologies for the questions. Is it a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse you are using? Is it a specific type of fuse tap I need to buy? Which wire from the headunit goes in to the fuse tap and where do you feed it through? I think it’s currently wired up to my engine fuse box as a 15 amp fuse in there keeps blowing when I’m playing around with the headunit wires.

Offline Stevie1982

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 07:49:26 pm »

I did this and it worked fine with a pioneer mvh-av290bt head unit. Although I'd seen lots of posts on the Internet to me it still seemed a bit of a bodged fix. I saw the option from dynamic sound and had a few emails back and forth to make sure it would do what I wanted it to do I ended up ordering this from them which also allows me to add a reverse camera without the need to run the wire to the gear selector and sorts the issue where the multi function steering wheel controls would not work with just the live wire feed I had installed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401051264078

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 10:43:53 pm »

Thanks for replying. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to cars, so apologies for the questions. Is it a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse you are using? Is it a specific type of fuse tap I need to buy? Which wire from the headunit goes in to the fuse tap and where do you feed it through? I think it’s currently wired up to my engine fuse box as a 15 amp fuse in there keeps blowing when I’m playing around with the headunit wires.
I used a 20amp fuse and connected to the power lead on the stereo. Ran the wire behind the dashboard from the fuse box to the stereo wiring loom. It works exactly the same way the stock head unit did, no battery drain, turns on/off with ignition key & doesn't loose stereo memory. Haven't had a problem for over a year now

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 01:29:14 pm »

I used a 20amp fuse and connected to the power lead on the stereo. Ran the wire behind the dashboard from the fuse box to the stereo wiring loom. It works exactly the same way the stock head unit did, no battery drain, turns on/off with ignition key & doesn't loose stereo memory. Haven't had a problem for over a year now

I can’t work out what cable you’re connecting to the wire tap in the fuse box. Which one is the stereo power lead? The cable which goes into the slot named 'radio'? Are you using some  kind of extension cable as well? As my wire tap is a small cable. I have pictures of all wires and connectors and my unit that would help you show me what I need to do. I can send them to you via email or something?

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 03:14:54 pm »
Yes I did extend the fuse tap to make it longer. Power lead you need to connect it to the one on the actual head unit, not sure which one as all makes of head unit are different. Then plug the ISO connectors as normal. Any auto electrician should be able to do this for you if you're unsure to do it yourself

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 04:16:01 pm »
Yes I did extend the fuse tap to make it longer. Power lead you need to connect it to the one on the actual head unit, not sure which one as all makes of head unit are different. Then plug the ISO connectors as normal. Any auto electrician should be able to do this for you if you're unsure to do it yourself

I’m not sure how to extend the fuse tap. I Just saw a video which says to take the red ignition wire from the radio and crimp it to the tap. Is that what you did? I see you have your tap connected to slot 6 in the fuse box. I have slot 5 spare, should I use that? (as long as it's ignition live). Do you still need 2 fuses in the tap if there wasn't a fuse in the slot in the first place? Or should I use slot 6 like you have? I'm not sure what the fuse in my slot 6 is for.

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 04:34:39 pm »

I’m not sure how to extend the fuse tap. I Just saw a video which says to take the red ignition wire from the radio and crimp it to the tap. Is that what you did? I see you have your tap connected to slot 6 in the fuse box. I have slot 5 spare, should I use that? (as long as it's ignition live). Do you still need 2 fuses in the tap if there wasn't a fuse in the slot in the first place? Or should I use slot 6 like you have? I'm not sure what the fuse in my slot 6 is for.
When I say 'spare slot' I just mean a slot without a fuse. Both slots 5 and 6 on my chart have the symbol of a book with an exclamation mark on the page, whatever that means.

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:13 pm »
I extended the fuse tap wire by buying the same amp wire joined & crimped. Some cars have all the top row fuses and some has less depending on model car and extras ect. If it's an empty slot you only need 1 fuse to power the head unit. Also look on YouTube there is a video on how to do it on a Audi A3 8P which is the same process how I did mine

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »
I extended the fuse tap wire by buying the same amp wire joined & crimped. Some cars have all the top row fuses and some has less depending on model car and extras ect. If it's an empty slot you only need 1 fuse to power the head unit. Also look on YouTube there is a video on how to do it on a Audi A3 8P which is the same process how I did mine

Just watched one where he connects a black wire directly to a fuse pin without the tap adapter, if that's the video you meant. Couldn't find any others. What do you mean 'same amp wire'? Have you plugged the fuse into the slot closest to the pins on the tap adapter? I can't really tell from your picture.

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 05:31:46 pm »
No that's  not to video I seen unfortunately. I've got the same gauge wire to join the fuse tap to extend it as the fuse tap comes short. My fuse is in the slot away from the fuse box, I did have it in the one closer and realized I had it in the wrong one as it didn't work.  Hope that helps

Offline jamietee89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »
No that's  not to video I seen unfortunately. I've got the same gauge wire to join the fuse tap to extend it as the fuse tap comes short. My fuse is in the slot away from the fuse box, I did have it in the one closer and realized I had it in the wrong one as it didn't work.  Hope that helps

Okay thanks. I dunno if you could just link me to the wire I need to buy for the extension. All seems a bit over my head. Sorry for the bother.

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 07:19:50 pm »
That fuse tap doesn’t work as you leave the car for a few days and battery’s flat as a pancake!!!

Why does everyone use it then? Bit confused as everywhere says to do it.

Fuse tap easy way had no battery drain after 2 weeks parked up... Simple to do