Make a donation

Author Topic: Temp Loss of Power at High speeds  (Read 1770 times)

Offline zebra3

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • www.runtowherever.blogspot.co.uk
    • Email
Temp Loss of Power at High speeds
« on: December 29, 2018, 09:53:22 am »
Whilst accelerating hard above 100mph I lost power,  dropped back to about 80mph and after 30secs the power returned. I tried this again and same thing, however in lower gears on hard acceleration car performed OK.
I had been travelling between 70 to 90mph for a few hours before and after power loss with no problems.

The fault felt like fuel starvation, I have not checked for any error codes yet and no engine check light on dash....

Any ideas would be appreciated  :happy2:

Offline spinfaster

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Temp Loss of Power at High speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:16:13 pm »
I had a similar thing last year, had been travelling at for 30mins or so, and had a stint of 100/110mph for 10mins and then lost any sense of acceleration. Felt like the turbo had failed. The DSG would drop down a gear or two when I tried to accelerate and just had lots of noise. Felt like a 1.4. I then left it for several hours and took it out, and had about 80% power back. A few days later it was just about back to normal.

I had it checked for errors and turns out the turbo has shut off as it was reading as over-boosting(??). Had the error cleared and it's never returned. Do you have any temperature issues? At the same time my temperature started reading as 70º rather than 90º. I ended up having a new thermostat and sensor fitted, but never had the turbo issue again.