Make a donation

Author Topic: Battery Drain Issue  (Read 14816 times)

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Battery Drain Issue
« on: January 09, 2019, 07:13:12 pm »
Hello

Looking for some help as im having issues figuring out what the underlining cause is of the battery draining issue.

My car is a 55 plate gti. So i know already that it has the battery drain issue with the radio. So i felt i had resolved that when i fitted an MFD2 stereo and the updated canbus gateway from the guy who codes them on here. However the issue is still happening from time to time.
Ill park my car up on a friday after work and not drive it till the next monday and it will be fine. However there will be days that i drive it home and park up on a week night and the next morning it wont start so less than 12 hours.

Worst one was last night when i parked up at work at 9am and went to start it at 6pm with no joy.

I am at a loss at what could be causing it. Here is a list of my thoughts
I have a parrot asteroid system plugged into my MFD2 which was working before the canbus gateway was installed but hasnt worked since. However its still plugged in and might be causing a drain. I plan to remove the power to it soon. Also I have heard that the alarm siren module once the battery goes flat on this tries to draw power from the main car battery. Not sure if this is true. My car doesnt make a chirp when i lock it even though i have enabled this on vagcom.
What might be happening is the car isnt fully going to sleep but im not sure. What i have started doing but forgot to do last night was to turn the stereo off and turn my auto lights off too.

HELP!! Any pointers would be great. Would like to try a few things myself first before taking it to a garage. Have full vagcom too.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Battery Drain Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:51 am »
hi, leaving the lights on auto will not drain the battery. As I believe that is run off power from ignition/canbus. obviously the canbus will keep the lights on for 10-20 seconds whaterver it is for the follow me home feature. once that's cut... no power will be going to the lights. so I would probably rule the auto lights out.

maybe look into the stereo drain issue to 100% rule that out. and your parrot. just disconnect that and see how it goes. If you can be bothered, disconnect both the stereo and the parrot, either the same time or separately and see if the battery does/doesn't drain, it will point you in a direction one way or another.

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:44:35 am »
Thanks for your reply sir. Yea i didnt think the auto lights could be causing it but i would just being methodical and picking anything which could be causing an issue.

Below are the faults which could be causing issues. Stupidly i didnt take down which options were ticked on my old canbus gateway so trying to fix the CAN Gateway fault might be tricky. But would the other 2 be causing a drain? Would an open circuit be a cause for battery power drain?

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels:. 1K0-907-530-V3.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 Q    HW: 1K0 907 951
   Component: J533  Gateway   H07 0062 
   Revision:   H07 01    Serial number: 210608F1000825
   Coding: E9 80 1F 06 40 00 02 00 01
   Shop #: WSC 00066 123 12345
   VCID: 3566ABB45CB2E8ECFB-8060

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
            000 -  -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 210937 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 13:10:30

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels:. 1K0-959-433-MIN.clb
   Part No: 1K0 959 433 AJ
   Component:    KSG              0401 
   Coding: 01C802087F2D8405485AC69010CC
   Shop #: WSC 01287 785 00200
   VCID: 78F862800B20D58420-802C

Subsystem 1 - Component:   Sounder No Answer     

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 907 719 C
   Component: Neigungssensor  005 0003

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1K0 951 177 A
   Component: Innenraumueberw.005 0202

1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
            004 - No Signal/Communication

Address 56: Radio        Labels: 1K0-035-095.lbl
   Part No: 1K0 035 095 E
   Component:        Radio        0024 
   Coding: 0040402
   Shop #: WSC 00046 412 00200
   VCID: 275A71FC961E8A7C79-8072

1 Faults Found:
00856 - Radio Antenna
            011 - Open Circuit

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:06 am »
now I'm no electrician but I cannot see an open circuit causing a drain. "open" would mean its not connected at all.. unplugged, break in wire or something.

not sure on the alarm, but it might be worth seeing if you can check the wiring for this. don't ask me where though. on a mates older car... the horns earth was rusted causing it not to work. don't think it drained the battery though - cat remember. but this could be a separate fault completely.

as for the canbus, I cannot give any input for this one... sorry. hopefully someone else can help. maybe speak to the guy who originally coded it for you.

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:06:44 am »
Thanks for your reply

The radio reception isnt the best in my car and its prob cause the amplifier part of the aerial unit is corroded which is a common fault. A simple replacement once i have the headliner moved out of the way.

The alarm siren module is inside the drivers side wing. Cant be arsed doing that on the side of the road so might be a garage job for that.

Ill PM and see what he says.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:54 am »
good luck getting it sorted mate. sorry I cant help much.

hopefully other people with the know how can assist  :wink:

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:45 pm »
Well the weirdness continues

So i disconnected the parrot box which means the stereo doesnt give audio but i dont care as i still need to do the work on the back of the stereo. However i went to asda and when i parked up the fans kicked in as i locked the car. Was in the shop less that 30 mins and came back to see the clocks dull so i knew the car wouldnt start. So of course it didnt start.
Thankfully a nice couple helped jump start the car. Got back to my car park space less than 10 min drive. Turned the car off and the car start straight away so battery couldnt have fully charged in that time. So what i have done now is take the 15 amp fuse out for the stereo from the engine bay fuse box and also turned off the air con as ive heard that can cause the fans to kick on when the car is turned off. I have an issue that the air con isnt cold so i need to replace part of the air con.

Left the car a few hours and went out to the car and it starts first time with no issues.
I hate this car right now!!

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:09 am »
Well the weirdness continues

So i disconnected the parrot box which means the stereo doesnt give audio but i dont care as i still need to do the work on the back of the stereo. However i went to asda and when i parked up the fans kicked in as i locked the car. Was in the shop less that 30 mins and came back to see the clocks dull so i knew the car wouldnt start. So of course it didnt start.
Thankfully a nice couple helped jump start the car. Got back to my car park space less than 10 min drive. Turned the car off and the car start straight away so battery couldnt have fully charged in that time. So what i have done now is take the 15 amp fuse out for the stereo from the engine bay fuse box and also turned off the air con as ive heard that can cause the fans to kick on when the car is turned off. I have an issue that the air con isnt cold so i need to replace part of the air con.

Left the car a few hours and went out to the car and it starts first time with no issues.
I hate this car right now!!

Just measure the leak with the tester fuse by fuse and you will know where to look for the problem.. As it seems you are chasing the ghosts.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
Do you mean put a tester on the fuse or take it out and see what the battery is reading?

Sorry im not the best with electrical things. I work in IT but electrics in a car im pretty crap with..

Regards

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:35:56 pm »
Do you mean put a tester on the fuse or take it out and see what the battery is reading?

Sorry im not the best with electrical things. I work in IT but electrics in a car im pretty crap with..

Regards
Explanation is here pal
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 04:44:11 pm »
Thank you.

Gonna give that a try with a guy from the workshop at work and see whats causing the drain.

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 02:06:58 pm »
Well i put in my fuse mod thing into the fuse box last night. All seems pretty good so far.

Also got the guy from the workshop to check the drain on the battery. A tiny bit of draw but i had only locked the car a few mins before testing so things might still be going to sleep 0.095 draw. Does that sound ok?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:26 pm »
is that draw...... MA? if so then.. its too much going by the video.

maybe set everything up so nothing can be going on and test again. did you pull all the fuses and do the testing as per the video?

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 04:07:19 pm »
It was just a quick test at lunchtime. Gonna do more testing etc at the weekend. Will supply more info then.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 04:10:34 pm »
follow that video, as I'm sure you'll be onto something then, good luck  :happy2: