Make a donation

Author Topic: Ryanair Baggage Charges?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Ryanair Baggage Charges?
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:00 am »
Does anyone have any recent experience of flying with Ryanair, please, and know how their new baggage charges work?

Seems that these were changed in November 2018, but the website is contradictory (not sure it's been properly updated). Cheap flights but looks like they charge heavily for baggage and stuff like that.... Any info appreciated pls. We booked via Expedia, and I think the guy has given me incorrect info, doh!

Cheers

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Ryanair Baggage Charges?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »
Always fly with Ryanair, twice a year.
Hand baggage policy changed , so now you have to pay for hand baggage to get it on board. Otherwise you only allowed a small bag , like 12”x4”x8” ish..
Hold baggage you pay for dependant on how much you have.
We book our seats too, but you don’t need to. If you are travelling with someone and want to sit next to them i would buy seats. They seem to issue seats randomly to each person who doesn’t pay for seats.
Any other questions ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:22 pm »
Thanks for that, very useful.

We booked via Expedia, and the guy on the phone gave me duff info saying that we were each allowed two bits of hand luggage, one small one like you mention, plus a  larger one of 55 x 40 x 20, up to 10 KG. This is not correct, and as you say it's only one small bag to fit under the seat. Next thing was the checked in luggage, which he said we could do online with Ryanair (no option to add it with Expedia), and of course Ryanair website says this is at a higher price, than if  done at the point of the original booking and means £50 per 20KG case, each person, each way, instead of £25. Grrrr.

Is it worth paying extra for front seats, or the extra legroom ones?
Also, it seems that unless you do reserve seats, then you cant do online check in until 48 hours before the flight. Does this mean that you have to faff about doing this online with your phone, 48 hours before the return flight too??  Think we'll reserve anyway, and then you can check in 60 days ahead, instead of this last minute stuff, which leaves me a bit uncomfortable.....

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
Thanks for that, very useful.

We booked via Expedia, and the guy on the phone gave me duff info saying that we were each allowed two bits of hand luggage, one small one like you mention, plus a  larger one of 55 x 40 x 20, up to 10 KG. This is not correct, and as you say it's only one small bag to fit under the seat. Next thing was the checked in luggage, which he said we could do online with Ryanair (no option to add it with Expedia), and of course Ryanair website says this is at a higher price, than if  done at the point of the original booking and means £50 per 20KG case, each person, each way, instead of £25. Grrrr.

Is it worth paying extra for front seats, or the extra legroom ones?
Also, it seems that unless you do reserve seats, then you cant do online check in until 48 hours before the flight. Does this mean that you have to faff about doing this online with your phone, 48 hours before the return flight too??  Think we'll reserve anyway, and then you can check in 60 days ahead, instead of this last minute stuff, which leaves me a bit uncomfortable.....

For the sake of about £6-8 each flight booking a seat is a no brainer. You can then wait and get on last...which is what we do. The extra legroom really depends on your size, don’t see the benefit tbh....always book seats nearest the toiletswhich is either end of the plane.
Get the ryanair app on your phone and you can keep boarding passes on there too...i am abit like you, i print them and have them on my phone aswell.

We think Ryanair are very good. We have had about forty flights in the last 7/8 years and only ever had a minor delay once....

We always book direct with Ryanair too.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:53:49 am »
All these cheap airlines have done is create confusion and frustration, but I do agree with them charging for everything.  It teaches people to travel lighter.  Flying with irritating strangers is frustrating enough without people p1ssing around in the overhead lockers for 10 mins when you're tired and wanting to sit down.   Just pack what you need in the hold luggage and that's it.  What else do people need other than a phone or a book at their seats?  It's not hard.  Things would move so much smoother and quicker.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D