Make a donation

Author Topic: Recaro Wingback Seats  (Read 8343 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Recaro Wingback Seats
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 04:48:13 pm »
I bet those covers weren't cheap!  A new upper cover for an Edition 30 is £800+VAT...plus torso bolsters, plus heater element, plus back rest springs (mine are f'cked) etc etc.  I priced up close to £2K to rebuild one seat.  Ridiculous.  VW don't/won't sell you a complete seat.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:46:43 pm »
I bet those covers weren't cheap!  A new upper cover for an Edition 30 is £800+VAT...plus torso bolsters, plus heater element, plus back rest springs (mine are f'cked) etc etc.  I priced up close to £2K to rebuild one seat.  Ridiculous.  VW don't/won't sell you a complete seat.

Wow that's crazy!! :surprised: That's why I'm deliberating between using the cover or just retrimming the side bolster and selling the cover. I don't think the wear to just one bolster warrants using the cover.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 07:49:37 am »
is expensive and not achievable for those particular seats.

Here's some pics showing the condition of the seats:-

And here's the new seatback cover:-

Not sure whether or not to refresh using new seatback cover or refresh using new leather and sell the cover.

Any thoughts?

Sorry to drag up an old post but do you remember what you paid for that new backrest cover? I'm about to become the owner of some R32 leather Recaros and the drivers bolsters are looking pretty sad. I'm tossing up between trying to get it repaired or putting a whole new cover on it.

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 11:55:02 am »
I have the standard seats in my GTI with Leather (heated).

The side bolster (airbag side) and the seat base bolster is knackered as most are and the foam isn't "as new" as I can feel the seat base (must have been a right FB as the car has only done 39,000 miles).

Anyway - as I am getting the car back to factory fresh condition as much as possible I have my drivers side in to get all new leather on the bolster sides with new foam where needed. That is going to cost me approx £200-£250+VAT to do. So if you were to have all new leather on both I think a budget of £400+VAT per seat wouldn't be far off.

However, if it were me I would retrim them with tartan centres and leather sides or just sell them as is. Are they heated?

If I wasn't trying to keep my car stock I would be tempted by these - feel free to drop me a DM.
Hi what company are you using for retrim?

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 11:59:28 am »
Mental money but I would love to get mine back to factory fresh, literally the only tired part of the car...
From memory I think when I enquired years ago VW has to have the Ed30 seat covers made to order hence the excessive retail price!!!

Offline BPGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 08:14:15 pm »
I imagine shipping and import duty will add a bit, but this link maybe of interest to you...

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_global/part/1K0881805E%20JTB?epis=474&f=golf&g=golf-mk5&ct=2

Not found a standard gti tartan seat cover on there yet.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 11:12:49 pm »
I’m considering wingbacks. Have seen that Vauxhall Corsa VXR seats fit in to a Mk5??? Dam sight cheaper and I know a very good and cheap trimmer that can add tartan too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 09:07:45 am »
I’m considering wingbacks. Have seen that Vauxhall Corsa VXR seats fit in to a Mk5??? Dam sight cheaper and I know a very good and cheap trimmer that can add tartan too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look like a much smaller seat with less of the support compared to the wingbacks. I've gone with a bucket seat for just the driver on a Sparco subframe.

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 09:33:17 am »
Picked up my own set today!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:35:04 am by Sebas_theFish »

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 10:13:07 am »
Very nice bud :congrats: :congrats: - Making me want a set even more, but i'll wait till the new year and the the ED30 STG3 build done first :jumpmove:

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 06:43:26 am »
Picked up my own set today!

And installed them into the car finally!

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge