Make a donation

Author Topic: Window button function  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Window button function
« on: June 29, 2021, 01:14:12 pm »
So, finally managed to get the door skin off to replace drivers door window regulator with help from a mate.
All back on and at least I have a working window but...the one touch function isn't working.
I have tried several suggestions to get the one touch function working by lowering fully then back up, holding the the button up for 5 seconds, lowered and closed and clicked button 3 times etc etc.
Nothing worked so far.
Any ideas please?
Cheers

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Window button function
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 01:43:29 pm »
Sorry probably not that helpful but guessing you disconnected battery? As whenever I disconnect my battery the one touch function stops working for a little bit, after it's run for a little bit or a day or two it always comes back then.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 01:31:48 am »
We didn't take the door card off and disconnect the motor electricaly in the end as in the YouTube vids, there was just about enough room to do everything from the door skin side.
Funnily enough my next thought was to maybe disconnect the battery to see if that reset things?  :thinking:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:29:43 am by Lewo »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 07:04:38 pm »
It might be your switch mate.  I had exactly the same problem for the longest time and assumed it was a funky wiring problem. Turned out it was the driver's side switch(s).  I stripped it down and the contacts were corroded/burned out.  I just got a cheap £10 Chinese switch from Amazon (dealer one is £100ish iirc) and I've been rocking one touch ever since  :happy2:

If it is battery related, leave it disconnected for an hour or so and see if that helps.  For reasons unknown to mere mortals, a quick battery disconnect/reconnect seems to bork the windows/CL functionality!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:09:35 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 10:14:04 pm »
Cheers for input.
The thing is that once we'd installed the regulator I had to lower it to put the glass in and it lowered with one touch. It's just since then the one touch isn't working.
Think I'll try the battery disconnect then give up if that doesn't work  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 10:30:39 pm »
Aha, that is quite an important clue, which has just reminded me of another reason why my one touch didn't work years ago. Window binding!

If you are absolutely sure the glass wasn't reattached to the regulator slightly on the wonk, try soaking the rubber channels with silicon maintenance spray. 

The flocked surface on the glass rubbers is there to prevent binding but it wears off over time, and the one thing that stops working when the glass binds in the rubber channels is the one touch!  Some lube should help.  Give it a whirl and don't be shy with the spray  :happy2:

Mine needs new rubbers.  Although the one touch works, it does slow down at certain sections of it's travel.  The flocking has flocked off and just needs replacing really to make the windows smooth again.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:32:59 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:02:59 pm »
Cheers mate.
As far as I can make out the window is straight so I'll try some silicon spray, and if that don't work, a hammer.  :rolleye:

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 10:48:45 pm »
No help I know replaced my regulator today , one touch reset by holding switch up at the top all working great , could be your switch as said earlier

Rob

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 11:53:32 pm »
Ok cheers for input too.
I'll try the battery thing, spray then switch!
Did you fit a pattern regulater as well?

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 08:00:02 pm »
Hi if you disconnected the wiring or battery it will need resetting according to handbook you need to close all windows use key to lock car then hold key in locking direction for over 2 seconds one touch now ready for operation
pull the buttons for the electric windows up and hold in this position for at least a second release button then pull up again and hold them in this position now ready for use i have copied this from handbook when i did it only did the bit with key and mine then worked hope this helps

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 08:13:21 pm »
Thanks for that.
This is what's confusing because it wasn't disconnected electronically at all but, just remembered I fitted a new door module at the same time so I'll try this cheers.  :happy2:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:20 pm »
No joy but think the door module is programmed now lol

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 09:04:23 pm »
Ok cheers for input too.

Yes this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131753948747

Fitted well and very smooth second one I’ve changed last time fitted a second hand vag one lasted 3-4 years but was never as smooth as this is
Wouldn’t think it’s sticking in the runners as if it was the motor would reverse as its set up not to trap hands and heads your problems sounds like the switch easy change anybody local with the same amount of doors (plugs different) you could try theirs in a couple of mins

Rob

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 09:06:34 pm »
One more thing didn’t disconnect my battery

Rob

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 10:05:15 pm »
Ok cheers for input too.

Yes this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131753948747

Fitted well and very smooth second one I’ve changed last time fitted a second hand vag one lasted 3-4 years but was never as smooth as this is
Wouldn’t think it’s sticking in the runners as if it was the motor would reverse as its set up not to trap hands and heads your problems sounds like the switch easy change anybody local with the same amount of doors (plugs different) you could try theirs in a couple of mins

Rob

I did have that one saved on Ebay but ended up getting one from local factors for £50 odd notes  :stupid:
Pudding has mentioned the switch too.
Mates car is a 3 door so no go there.
Spray and switch on the list then!